Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adam Eaton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Adam Eaton

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Do you have data to back this up? Is it really 1 in 9? I'm just wondering.
    Totally pie in the sky pulled it out of my left ear number.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think we all would like to see that. But for every guy who hits like Rodriguez/Eaton in the minors, 8 of them can't do it in the Majors.
    8? How do you know it's not 7 or 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Just because my post was right after yours doesn't mean I was responding to you. If I was responding to you, I would have quoted you.
    There are literally no other posts besides mine that your comment could have applied to. To that point in the thread I was about the only one who posted a criticism of Eaton.

I think we all would like to see that. But for every guy who hits like Rodriguez/Eaton in the minors, 8 of them can't do it in the Majors.

The Reds line up is flawed. It has to 'rely on the long ball' because it simply doesn't have that many good hitters in the line up. Zack Cozart, Drew Stubbs, Brandon Phillips, Ryan Hanigan.... none of those guys should be counted on for 20 home runs. Only one of them has shown an actual ability to get on base better than average though. I would love to fill the line up with guys who could hit .290 and OBP .350. But those guys are rare breeds. From 2010-Now, with 1000 at bats in that time frame, there are all of 23 players in baseball who have hit .290 and had a .350 OBP. Two of them aren't power hitters (sub .450 SLG). Joe Mauer and Jon Jay. 14 of them have slugged over .500
    More .270/.340/.420 guys would be more than acceptable. Mainly though only if they can play some defense. The Chase Headleys of the world. A little balance please.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    There are literally no other posts besides mine that your comment could have applied to. To that point in the thread I was about the only one who posted a criticism of Eaton.
    Geez dude. Why does it matter so much?

I've been on the idea of getting some high OBP guys who hit for average for awhile now. Maybe my post was simply a thought I was having at the time and not so much a response to any posts in the thread.

I love Eaton specifically because he is a different kind of hitter and I'd personally love to see if he could do it at the major league level (high OBP, doubles power) BUT I just think its a huge risk in a pennant race to ask a rookie to jump in and not expect him to struggle at first even if he does get there eventually. I'd rather see someone who has proven he can do it at this point. I really think baseball will start turning to guys like Eaton and we'll begin seeing more high OBP guys again - the Carews and Motas and Sanguillens and Alous. The screw has turned for the big sluggers at the exclusion of all else. They'll always have their place but as pitching regains dominance the running game, speed, and swat hitters who just get on base a lot will also find a welcome role in baseball. Playing for 1 run and holding on is already surfacing in games and small ball strategies are being used more often - maybe better informed by percentages but still more often than the past couple of decades. Hamilton will help usher in the next generation of base stealers too, I'll bet. Wouldn't surprise me if Eaton didn't help usher in the next generation of Gwynn like left and right fielders who aren't power hitters but pesky get on base types, especially on teams that get power from middle infielders and their catcher or center fielder - non traditional power positions.

So don't be in such a hurry to downgrade guys just because they lack power. I would not call that a "foundational flaw". Not if they can get on base at a very high clip. Personally, if my leadoff hitter gets on base at a .375 or better clip I don't care if he ever hits a home run.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    So don't be in such a hurry to downgrade guys just because they lack power. I would not call that a "foundational flaw". Not if they can get on base at a very high clip. Personally, if my leadoff hitter gets on base at a .375 or better clip I don't care if he ever hits a home run.
    In a game where guys are throwing much harder than ever before, slap hitting isn't exactly as "easy" as it once was. A few guys can do it, but counting on someone to be able to do it before they actually show it at the MLB level is probably a bad idea.

In a game where guys are throwing much harder than ever before, slap hitting isn't exactly as "easy" as it once was. A few guys can do it, but counting on someone to be able to do it before they actually show it at the MLB level is probably a bad idea.
    I hear the term "slap hitting" and I immediately always think of this baseball card from my youth.

I never get that comment about guys throwing harder than they ever were before. They were throwing just as hard back in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

I think Eaton is a guy to pursue in the offseason.

I never get that comment about guys throwing harder than they ever were before. They were throwing just as hard back in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.
    No, they weren't.

Has anyone read where Eaton can't stick in center?

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Wow. Played against him in High School a lot, never figured he'd make it this far, but just goes to show how hard he must work. He was apart of a lot of underrated, good Kenton Ridge teams that wouldn't win the conference but would end up in the Final Four every year.
    The CBC was a very strong DII baseball conference during your era.

No, they weren't.
    Whatever dude. My Dad and grandpa say you're wrong.

But since they didn't have the radar guns and all the stats they keep today, you're in the clear on your comments.

I dunno what is about today's younger generation dissing other generations so badly. It's like Kobe and Lebron dissing the Dream Team. Heck, the Dream Team was '92, but I was in Bloomington back in 1984 to see the earlier version olympic tryouts, and that team was pretty darn good.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 07-22-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Whatever dude. My Dad and grandpa say you're wrong.

But since they didn't have the radar guns and all the stats they keep today, you're in the clear on your comments.
    Your dad and grandpa were wrong. Players will tell you that. I have a friend who is a scout. He is in his early 50's. When he was younger, well before he was scouting, he talked with Waite Hoyte, who played in the Majors, then of course broadcast games for a long time after his playing days were done. Hoye talked about how when he played that most pitchers were topping out at 85 MPH by the time August rolled around because of how often they were used and they simply didn't have any gas left. He also noted that as time went on that guys did throw a little bit harder in general than the guys before them.

I remember being younger, watching games on ESPN. They had radar guns. They didn't like up like they do now. Yes, some guys could do what a lot of guys can no, but most couldn't. Scouting still holds onto the idea that 89 MPH is average for a lefty and 90 is average for a righty. Really? When a guy throws 90 as a RHP these days he is a soft tosser, like Mike Leake.

Turn Off Ads?