Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Offseason News

Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

I like this move by the Mavs. I've heard rumors that the deal is in the ballpark of 2 yrs/$8 mil. If that's true, it's a steal. I like Mayo. Not sure why the league seems to be so lukewarm on him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lakers get Antawn Jamison.

Great move for both Jamison and the Lakers. He can do the whole sixth man as a mad bomber off the bench. He doesn't play any defense, but pairing him with Nash and Bryant is inspired.

The cynical part of me thinks the Lakers sign Hill and Jamison's backup at PF and send Pau somewhere else.

NY Times reporting that the Knicks will not be matching Houston's offer to Lin. Knicks haven't confirmed. Dolan is in Las Vegas watching the Summer League with the head coach.

Time will tell if this is a bad move, but I think Dolan's isn't making a business decision, to him it's personal. That's a bad way to run a team, and he's been a horrible owner.

The Knicks plan to cut ties with Jeremy Lin on Tuesday night, according to a person briefed on the decision, ending a brief, spectacular and now bittersweet love affair between the 23-year-old point guard and his adoring fan base. Lin will play next season for the Houston Rockets, who signed him to a three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet that the Knicks have elected not to match.

The Knicks are not expected to announce their decision until this evening, and there is still a chance — albeit incredibly small — that it could be reversed. But as of 4 p.m. the decision had been made and was considered final by those with knowledge of the deliberations. Indeed, the deliberations were said to be over.
    Last edited by NJReds; 07-17-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added link
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Some Wolves notes...

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Wolf ... 071712?t=2

• Look for the Wolves to get unrestricted free agent forward Jordan Hill unless the Lakers swoop in. It's down to those two teams. Hill had a lengthy discussion when in town with Kahn about his legal troubles. The Wolves feel comfortable signing him right now.

• If Hill does go back to Los Angeles, the Wolves could turn to free agent forward Carl Landry. They've talked to his representative. Landry played for Wolves coach Rick Adelman in Houston.

• The Wolves also continue to maintain dialogue with Anthony Randolph's agent.

• The Wolves expect to get restricted free agent center Greg Stiemsma. Boston is over the cap, so the Wolves feel like they will be able to structure the contract in a fashion such that Celtics general manager Danny Ainge won't be able to match.

• As for getting a wing, the Wolves will sign free agent Courtney Lee if the price is right. But they won't wait long after Thursday morning. If his price is too high, they will move quickly to sign free agent Ronnie Brewer. If Lee waits too long, he won't be a Timberwolf. O.J. Mayo, who chose the Mavericks on Monday night, was never seriously on the Wolves' radar. The Wolves called on Mayo early in free agency but didn't keep in touch in the last few days.

• The Wolves will soon announce their deal with free agent Alexey Shved. It'll be a three-year deal. He impressed the Wolves brass even further in a brief workout last week at Target Center.

• They will do the same with free agent Brandon Roy. While given no guarantee, the source said Roy has every intention of being the starting shooting guard.

• The Andre Iguodala dream can just about die. The source said the Wolves have done a ton of homework on him, and the feedback didn't all register positively. Because of that, they are reluctant to give up assets and pay him $30 million over the next two years. His contract has a player option for 2013-14, which he is expected to opt into.

• While the interest in Scola was genuine, the Wolves never had an interest in forward Elton Brand, who was claimed by the Mavericks.

• As reported previously, the Wolves and Grizzlies have a verbal agreement on a Wayne Ellington-Dante Cunningham trade. It'll be made official once the paperwork is sent into the league office.

• The Wolves' decision-making brass of Kahn, Adelman and Taylor will have another personnel meeting in Las Vegas on Wednesday. The NBA Summer League has Kahn and Adelman there, while Taylor will be there for a Board of Governors league meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I like this move by the Mavs. I've heard rumors that the deal is in the ballpark of 2 yrs/$8 mil. If that's true, it's a steal. I like Mayo. Not sure why the league seems to be so lukewarm on him.
    Attitude concerns and he has never really scratched the surface on how good he can be.

I've followed OJ Mayo since the 7th grade when he was playing at Rose Hill Christian School in Ashland, KY. At 7th grade, he dominated even at the high school level and went on to do the same in Cincinnati. His teammate at Rose Hill and North College Hill, Bill Walker (who now plays for the Knicks), was declared ineligible for his senior year and went to Kansas State a year early. Mayo went to Huntington High and teamed up with Patrick Patterson. Mayo's senior season was noted for bumping a ref, although you could argue the ref flopped, and throwing the ball into the stands in the national championship game before the game was even over.

OJ is a great talent and could be one of the best, but he has had shady handlers and got USC in a lot of trouble. Throw in a fight with another player while with the Grizzlies and testing positive for a steroid and receiving a 10 game suspension and that's why teams are leery of Mayo.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    NY Times reporting that the Knicks will not be matching Houston's offer to Lin. Knicks haven't confirmed. Dolan is in Las Vegas watching the Summer League with the head coach.

Time will tell if this is a bad move, but I think Dolan's isn't making a business decision, to him it's personal. That's a bad way to run a team, and he's been a horrible owner.
    He is the second worst owner in all of sports (baseball, basketball, football). Only Donald Sterling is worse, IMO.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    He is the second worst owner in all of sports (baseball, basketball, football). Only Donald Sterling is worse, IMO.
    Mike Brown: "Really, I'm out of the bottom two? When did this happen?"
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I Love JESUS

Cavs may possibly get Bynum which would be awesome, we would have a sick 1-2 punch with Kyrie & Bynum & would be bavk into the playoffs

"The Cavaliers would land Lakers center Andrew Bynum for a package of draft picks and veteran power forward Anderson Varejao, according to one league source. The Lakers would receive Howard for Bynum. Orlando would get Varejao and draft picks. The source said this was merely the framework of a deal being discussed."

Blazers matched the Wolves offer for Batum.

Good, Screw Paul Allen and hope he enjoys paying Batum $11.5 mil per when they offered him $6 mil per during the season

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Blazers matched the Wolves offer for Batum.

Good, Screw Paul Allen and hope he enjoys paying Batum $11.5 mil per when they offered him $6 mil per during the season
    It's nitpicking, but the deal only ends up being 4 years/$43.5 mil. In all his public posturing, Kahn included incentives that were disallowed by the NBA. And Batum was offered $7 mil./year during the season.

One result of the contentious Batum dealings, I now have a healthy distaste for all things Timberwolves.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 07-19-2012 at 04:52 AM.

It's nitpicking, but the deal only ends up being 4 years/$43.5 mil. In all his public posturing, Kahn included incentives that were disallowed by the NBA. And Batum was offered $7 mil./year during the season.

One result of the contentious Batum dealings, I now have a healthy distaste for all things Timberwolves.

Don't forget, Blazers have to pay Brandon Roy an additional $17 mil since he came out of retirement. Insurance won't cover it now.

Same thing happened to them with Darius Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post

Don't forget, Blazers have to pay Brandon Roy an additional $17 mil since he came out of retirement. Insurance won't cover it now.

Same thing happened to them with Darius Miles.
    We amnestied him. It's not cap money. It's Paul Allen's Microsoft money, which I couldn't care less about.

For the record, the Wolves are a middling Western Conference team. Your star is already showing signs of discontent. Your young, extremely exciting PG, can't shoot, and never shown signs of an ability to do so. And by all accounts, your team is run by a buffoon. Let's not get too uppity.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 07-19-2012 at 06:42 AM.

We amnestied him. It's not cap money. It's Paul Allen's Microsoft money, which I couldn't care less about.

For the record, the Wolves are a middling Western Conference team. Your star is already showing signs of discontent. Your young, extremely exciting PG, can't shoot, and never shown signs of an ability to do so. And by all accounts, your team is run by a buffoon. Let's not get too uppity.
    I dunno about middling. Before Rubio got hurt they were firmly in the playoff hunt despite having ZERO wing players

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The Celtics have reportedly agreed on a sign-and-trade with the Rockets that will send them SG Courtney Lee for PF JaJuan Johnson, SG E'Twaun Moore, F/C Sean Williams and a second-round pick.
    Source: Marc Spears on Twitter per Rotoworld.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Turn Off Ads?