Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 221

Thread: 2013 NBA Offseason News

  1. #31
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,796

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Especially when they pick forward after forward after forward.

    It's a forward-thinking organization.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    And that is a real shame. But, I guess the NFL is that way with QB's (with the 2002 Bucs and 2000 Ravens filling the Pistons role). MLB is harder to pin down because no one player has the same impact that a QB and NBA star can have. The NHL is way too unpredictable.
    It's been this way since the beginning of the NBA, though. Mikan, Russell, Kareem, Magic, Moses, Dr. J., Jordan, The Dream, The Admiral and Duncan-- if you don't have a superstar-- a top five, dominant type of bell weather Top Guy-- you don't have a chance.

    For the life of me, I don't know why GMs don't continually cycle through on three to five-year plans of rebuild, compete, tear down, and repeat.

    Were I Houston and I fail in my attempts to obtain Howard, for example, I'd then turn my attention to dealing my flotsam for picks and late-career expiring contracts. The more picks the better. Keep enough players to get into the lottery. Suck for a couple of years. Really, really suck.

    If you can't suck enough--if you don't end up with a top five pick, overpay in talent and middling players to move up.

    This past draft, for example, I'm fairly certain Sacramento would have given up the fifth pick for the number 12 pick, Kyle Lowry and Luis Scola. I'd have taken on John Salmons' onerous contract too. I'd have then gone with one of the young guys with the biggest ceiling. In this case, Andre Drummond.

    With Drummond there, you build your team around him. Sign a veteran guy to mentor him who has a non-stop motor. Deal just about everyone else. In Houston, Martin would go for multiple picks. I'd probably sign Dragic as a PG because there are so many good point guards right now, it's less important to have a great one. Same thing with power forwards (aside from, again, the Top Guys). Since Houston already has 400 power forwards, I'd have picked one of the younger guys and stuck with him for a year. Patrick Patterson, welcome to the starting lineup.

    So Houston now has three starters and a bunch of crap. Courtney Lee surprises as a starting guard, plays well, so you deal him at the trading deadline for Boston's number one. John Salmons plays adequately enough to earn looks from other teams. Deal him.

    You're looking to suck again.

    But while you suck, you're teaching Drummond everything. You run your offense through him. Deal with the turnovers. Deal with the growing pains. Make sure he's happy. Make him the face of your franchise.

    A second year in the lottery, trading up again, you get the third pick. Shabazz Muhammed, you're my starting SG.

    Now, you've got your Guy and your Second. Dragic is still there, solid as a PG. You've got cap space, so that's when you're looking for a good SF-- someone who can play. You can overpay there, too. And it doesn't matter if he's a little creaky, a little old.

    Focus on SG, SF, and C. Hope and pray for lottery luck. Pick young talent. Grab PGs and PFs off the scrap heap unless you luck into a great one.

    Rinse, lather, repeat.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Huge TWolves fan here, and this has been an interesting offseason so far.

    Batum offer sheet is regarded to be 4 years, $44 million. No idea if Portland can/will match with the offer to Hibbert out htere

  5. #34
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It's been this way since the beginning of the NBA, though. Mikan, Russell, Kareem, Magic, Moses, Dr. J., Jordan, The Dream, The Admiral and Duncan-- if you don't have a superstar-- a top five, dominant type of bell weather Top Guy-- you don't have a chance.

    For the life of me, I don't know why GMs don't continually cycle through on three to five-year plans of rebuild, compete, tear down, and repeat.

    Were I Houston and I fail in my attempts to obtain Howard, for example, I'd then turn my attention to dealing my flotsam for picks and late-career expiring contracts. The more picks the better. Keep enough players to get into the lottery. Suck for a couple of years. Really, really suck.

    If you can't suck enough--if you don't end up with a top five pick, overpay in talent and middling players to move up.

    This past draft, for example, I'm fairly certain Sacramento would have given up the fifth pick for the number 12 pick, Kyle Lowry and Luis Scola. I'd have taken on John Salmons' onerous contract too. I'd have then gone with one of the young guys with the biggest ceiling. In this case, Andre Drummond.

    With Drummond there, you build your team around him. Sign a veteran guy to mentor him who has a non-stop motor. Deal just about everyone else. In Houston, Martin would go for multiple picks. I'd probably sign Dragic as a PG because there are so many good point guards right now, it's less important to have a great one. Same thing with power forwards (aside from, again, the Top Guys). Since Houston already has 400 power forwards, I'd have picked one of the younger guys and stuck with him for a year. Patrick Patterson, welcome to the starting lineup.

    So Houston now has three starters and a bunch of crap. Courtney Lee surprises as a starting guard, plays well, so you deal him at the trading deadline for Boston's number one. John Salmons plays adequately enough to earn looks from other teams. Deal him.

    You're looking to suck again.

    But while you suck, you're teaching Drummond everything. You run your offense through him. Deal with the turnovers. Deal with the growing pains. Make sure he's happy. Make him the face of your franchise.

    A second year in the lottery, trading up again, you get the third pick. Shabazz Muhammed, you're my starting SG.

    Now, you've got your Guy and your Second. Dragic is still there, solid as a PG. You've got cap space, so that's when you're looking for a good SF-- someone who can play. You can overpay there, too. And it doesn't matter if he's a little creaky, a little old.

    Focus on SG, SF, and C. Hope and pray for lottery luck. Pick young talent. Grab PGs and PFs off the scrap heap unless you luck into a great one.

    Rinse, lather, repeat.
    But, can you sell tickets to come see Drummond learn how to play basketball? That is why teams don't do what the Sonics/Thunder did.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  6. #35
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,796

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Huge TWolves fan here, and this has been an interesting offseason so far.

    Batum offer sheet is regarded to be 4 years, $44 million. No idea if Portland can/will match with the offer to Hibbert out htere
    May we have our coach back? McHale can be on a plane and heading north by day's end.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Your coach likely grabbed C Omer Asik with an offer sheet of $25.1 million for three years. Asik's per minute numbers are fantastic, with rebounds and blocks his forte. Asik cannot hit a free throw to save his life. He's shown an ability to pass the ball too, but he's a turnover waiting to happen and a foul machine.

    Raw is the word, I think.

    He'll have to be the starter for that money, with Greg Smith likely backing him up.

    Asik C
    Scola PF
    Parson SF
    Martin SG
    Lowry PG
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Huge TWolves fan here, and this has been an interesting offseason so far.

    Batum offer sheet is regarded to be 4 years, $44 million. No idea if Portland can/will match with the offer to Hibbert out htere
    They supposedly love him in Portland, and he profiles to be their starter playing major minutes (35+).

    I'm guessing, since they're relatively safe regarding cap space, Portland would match the max offer.

    Were I the T'Wolves, I'd focus on a shooting guard and a C. Why not deal with Houston? It makes sense, as Adelman knows the personnel. Both Luis Scola and Kevin Martin would look good in Minnesota. Neither are apparently happy with McHale and could be given away for pennies on the dollar.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  9. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    They supposedly love him in Portland, and he profiles to be their starter playing major minutes (35+).

    I'm guessing, since they're relatively safe regarding cap space, Portland would match the max offer.

    Were I the T'Wolves, I'd focus on a shooting guard and a C. Why not deal with Houston? It makes sense, as Adelman knows the personnel. Both Luis Scola and Kevin Martin would look good in Minnesota. Neither are apparently happy with McHale and could be given away for pennies on the dollar.
    Well, they offered Hibbert a max deal at 4/$58 mil.

    They won't have the money to match Batum if the Pacers don't match Hibbert's deal I believe, unless they start waiving players

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Well, they offered Hibbert a max deal at 4/$58 mil.

    They won't have the money to match Batum if the Pacers don't match Hibbert's deal I believe, unless they start waiving players
    Are you saying Paul Allen won't pony up to keep Batum? Or will Portland worry about having 3 max players (LA, Hibbert and Batum) with Lilliard and Leonard becoming potential cornerstones in a few years but having no means to keep them?

  11. #40
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Are you saying Paul Allen won't pony up to keep Batum? Or will Portland worry about having 3 max players (LA, Hibbert and Batum) with Lilliard and Leonard becoming potential cornerstones in a few years but having no means to keep them?
    LA, Batum, and Aldridge would be the worst big money threesome in the NBA.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  12. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Are you saying Paul Allen won't pony up to keep Batum? Or will Portland worry about having 3 max players (LA, Hibbert and Batum) with Lilliard and Leonard becoming potential cornerstones in a few years but having no means to keep them?
    Proposed cap is $59 mil next year

    Player 2012/13 2013/14 2014/15 2015/16
    Brandon Roy $16,359,805 $17,779,458 $0 $0
    LaMarcus Aldridge $13,000,000 $14,100,000 $15,200,000 $0
    Wesley Matthews $6,505,320 $6,875,480 $7,245,640 $0
    JJ Hickson $3,357,569 $0 $0 $0
    Nicolas Batum $3,166,230 $0 $0 $0
    Shawne Williams $3,158,000 $0 $0 $0
    Luke Babbitt $1,892,280 $2,902,757 $4,078,373 $0
    Elliot Williams $1,442,880 $2,373,537 $3,436,881 $0
    Nolan Smith $1,404,960 $1,503,000 $2,394,279 $3,450,156
    Kurt Thomas $1,352,181 $0 $0 $0
    TOTALS: $45,115,426 $38,754,938 $22,445,640 $0


    If they sign Hibbert to 4/$65 mil, they will have to dump some other players in order to free up enough space to get Batum at $11 mil per

    http://hoopshype.com/salaries/portland.htm

  13. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    I follow you. Blatum would really fit nicely with the Wolves. I like him a lot more than Jamal Crawford.

  14. #43
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Proposed cap is $59 mil next year

    Player 2012/13 2013/14 2014/15 2015/16
    Brandon Roy $16,359,805 $17,779,458 $0 $0
    LaMarcus Aldridge $13,000,000 $14,100,000 $15,200,000 $0
    Wesley Matthews $6,505,320 $6,875,480 $7,245,640 $0
    JJ Hickson $3,357,569 $0 $0 $0
    Nicolas Batum $3,166,230 $0 $0 $0
    Shawne Williams $3,158,000 $0 $0 $0
    Luke Babbitt $1,892,280 $2,902,757 $4,078,373 $0
    Elliot Williams $1,442,880 $2,373,537 $3,436,881 $0
    Nolan Smith $1,404,960 $1,503,000 $2,394,279 $3,450,156
    Kurt Thomas $1,352,181 $0 $0 $0
    TOTALS: $45,115,426 $38,754,938 $22,445,640 $0

    If they sign Hibbert to 4/$65 mil, they will have to dump some other players in order to free up enough space to get Batum at $11 mil per

    http://hoopshype.com/salaries/portland.htm
    I'm pretty sure Roy doesn't count because he was amnestied. The Blazers will still have to pay him the money, but it doesn't count towards the cap.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  15. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    992

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm pretty sure Roy doesn't count because he was amnestied. The Blazers will still have to pay him the money, but it doesn't count towards the cap.
    Yeah, Roy isn't included in that $45 mil number for next year.

    He's technically still signed, if you click the link it will show up as it is

  16. #45
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

    The Hawks are getting really interesting, they seem to have shipped Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams, their two worst contracts, and may have entered the Dwight Howard sweepstakes. It also seems that Deron is staying in Brooklyn.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25