Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Happened on Cairo's Single?

What Happened on Cairo's Single?

I didn't see the game live but I've watched the highlight of Cairo's 9th inning hit a few times. How in the world did Ryan Ludwick not score from 2nd on that?

- The play was right in front of him
    - LF had no chance of catching it
    - It was softly hit
    - It was over toward the line and not directly to the LF
    - It was a slow-developing play

I daresay I could have scored on that ball, and I run about a 6.9 40.

How in the world was he held at third? Did he fall down between 2nd and 3rd or something? Someone who saw it live please explain to me what happened.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What Happened on Cairo's Single?

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    I didn't see the game live but I've watched the highlight of Cairo's 9th inning hit a few times. How in the world did Ryan Ludwick not score from 2nd on that?

- The play was right in front of him
    - LF had no chance of catching it
    - It was softly hit
    - It was over toward the line and not directly to the LF
    - It was a slow-developing play

I daresay I could have scored on that ball, and I run about a 6.9 40.

How in the world was he held at third? Did he fall down between 2nd and 3rd or something? Someone who saw it live please explain to me what happened.
    I thought the same thing. He was held at third but right when the ball was hit I saw two runs and could not believe we only got one.

Berry is not good....Luddy's jump wasn't good.

Bruce's gaffe made both moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Bruce's gaffe made both moot.
    How so? Who knows how far the Reds 9th would have gone had Ludwick scored.

Or, maybe the gaffe just ties the game and they are still playing in the 25th inning right now. Bruce's gaffe could have prevented the longest extra-inning game in MLB history. Maybe we'd just now be seeing Joey Votto take the mound.

How so? Who knows how far the Reds 9th would have gone had Ludwick scored.

Or, maybe the gaffe just ties the game and they are still playing in the 25th inning right now. Bruce's gaffe could have prevented the longest extra-inning game in MLB history. Maybe we'd just now be seeing Joey Votto take the mound.
    K K Weak fly out = no more runs

Giants not only scored the winning run on the Bruce play....but runner on 1st with 2 outs scores easily.

Moot.

K K Weak fly out = no more runs

Giants not only scored the winning run on the Bruce play....but runner on 1st with 2 outs scores easily.

Moot.
    Please tell me what the market is going to do tomorrow. I need some $$$.

Please tell me what the market is going to do tomorrow. I need some $$$.
    Yeah...my answer is stupid.

Luddy scores it's 2nd and 3rd no outs....walk Hanny, whiff Valdez, pop out Cozy and then Stubbs bats....he was 0/14 in the series and is hitting .190 with RISP....and if Stubbs comes thru Bruce then has the ability to know where the wall is.....or Giants score 2 and have runner on 3rd with 2 out and either tied or down by an infinite number.

Yeah...my answer is stupid.
    I didn't say it was stupid. I simply made the point that neither you, nor I, nor anyone else knows what would happen if Ludwick had been waved in. And that's a fact. You know, the butterfly effect and all that.

I have no clue why Berry held him. Ludwick may not be a speedster but he was running almost immediately on contact and Cabrera has a weak arm. I don't think the throw would have even gone to the plate if he runs around.

Even so, Hanigan and Valdez have to do better than that.

As far as it being moot, it absolutely is not. You can't say that the Giants would have won anyway, because Chapman would have been in, not Arrendondo. Now, could Chapman have blown the game? Sure. But I can almost guarantee the at-bats would not have gone exactly the same. Or, Ironman, are you suggesting it would have been Arrendondo out there closing the game and not Chapman?

I didn't say it was stupid. I simply made the point that neither you, nor I, nor anyone else knows what would happen if Ludwick had been waved in. And that's a fact. You know, the butterfly effect and all that.
    Ok....well if the borderline pitch to Ludwick before his hit was called a ball instead of a strike....the pitcher would've thrown a different pitch and no one knows what would have develop from there.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

You think Berry may have gotten gunshy from recently getting Jay Bruce thrown out by 25 feet at home?

I hope the guy brings some other strengths to the club. Just in his capacity as 3B coach, I've never been impressed.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    You think Berry may have gotten gunshy from recently getting Jay Bruce thrown out by 25 feet at home?

I hope the guy brings some other strengths to the club. Just in his capacity as 3B coach, I've never been impressed.
    If you're talking about the other night, Bruce was out at the plate because he didn't slide. He was not "thrown out by 25 feet at home" and sending him was the right move.
    Bruce did not execute.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post

I have no idea how he retains his job.

But then, it's Baker's call. That actually explains it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    If you're talking about the other night, Bruce was out at the plate because he didn't slide. He was not "thrown out by 25 feet at home" and sending him was the right move.
    Bruce did not execute.
    I hope you are joking.

It's possible Berry didn't risk sending Ludwick because there were no outs and Hanigan coming to the plate -- thinking he would find a way to drive in the run. Especially if Ludwick didn't get a good jump. Unfortunately, the Reds simply have a knack for nonproductive outs, especially with RISP, so in the future Berry may need to be more aggressive.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

Turn Off Ads?