Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Olympics Thread

2012 Olympics Thread

Not sure how posting about the Olympics goes here, whether it's multiple threads per sport or just one major thread. But I guess I'll start it.

Been watching the US olympic trials, sucked to see Nastia Liukin crash and burn tonight in her attempted comeback. She didn't make the US Womens Gymnastics team

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Olympics Thread

Adam Eaton set a world record in the decathlon. Usain Bolt got beat in the 100M and the 200M at the Jamaican trials. What a group of sprinters they have.
    In their 100M finals it was:
    Blake 9.75
    Bolt 9.86
    Powell 9.88
    Frater 9.94

There was a photo-finish tie between Jeneba Tarmoh and Allyson Felix. They may or may not have a runoff to decide who makes the team.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    There was a photo-finish tie between Jeneba Tarmoh and Allyson Felix. They may or may not have a runoff to decide who makes the team.
    On TV last night, they seemed to indicate that both would make the team as members of the relay team, regardless of who run the race, which may or may not happen (I'm not sure why)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    On TV last night, they seemed to indicate that both would make the team as members of the relay team, regardless of who run the race, which may or may not happen (I'm not sure why)
    Jeneba Tarmoh has announced that she is conceding her spot to Allyson Felix. I can't even imagine that. She is now the alternate if one of the three qualifiers gets hurt or drops out. She will, most likely, run on the relay event.

All that hard work put in and you just concede the spot?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120704/D9VQ3KUO1.html

South African double amputee makes Olympic Games. That seems threadworthy.

Starting to put my packing list together. 4 nights in Ireland, followed by 5 nights in London during the Olympics.

USA Basketball has set their 12 man team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...or-london.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

USA Men's & Women's Olympic Gymnastics Teams

Men: Jake Dalton (won AA at NCAAs this past year), Danell Leyva (current world champion on parallel bars, US champ from last year), John Orozco (won US title this year), Jon Horton (only holdover from 2008 bronze medal winning team), Sam Mikulik (came back from TWO broken ankles last year to make this year's team )

Women: Jordyn Weiber (current AA world champion and also won bronze on beam last year), Gabrielle Douglas (won US trials), MyKayla Maroney (fave for vault gold medal, reigning world champ on that event), Aly Raisman (world bronze on FX last year), Kyla Ross (US junior champion from last year)
    NOTE: There are NO holdovers from the 2008 team after Nastia Liukin and Alicia Sacramone both missed out on making this year's team.

The women's team is the favorite for the gold medal (they're the reigning world champs) though Russia and Romania should be in the mix too (who knows what's going on with China...they seem out of sorts right now). The men's team has an excellent shot at a medal and could even battle for gold if they're on their game. The podium could easily be China, Japan, USA in some sort of order if they're all hitting routines in the team final. It should be an exciting competition!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Jeneba Tarmoh has announced that she is conceding her spot to Allyson Felix. I can't even imagine that. She is now the alternate if one of the three qualifiers gets hurt or drops out. She will, most likely, run on the relay event.

All that hard work put in and you just concede the spot?
    Sad to say, but I suspect someone leaned on her to step aside for the bigger name. They have the same coach.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Team USA's big-man problem just got bigger.

Clippers power forward Blake Griffin suffered a left-knee injury during practice in Las Vegas on Wednesday and was scheduled to return to Los Angeles on Thursday for an examination. Hornets power forward and Team USA alternate Anthony Davis has been summoned to replace Griffin, who signed a five-year extension worth up to $95 million with the Clippers on Tuesday.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz20SrsBU6j

Track & Field tickets arrived today. Friend in London has our futbol and mens volleyball tickets in hand.

#gettingstoked

150,000 condoms to be issued to Olympic Village. An average of 15 per Olympian. Faster, stronger, higher indeed.

http://www.manolith.com/2012/07/20/1...t-london-2012/

This is much closer to Jeneba Tarmoh's truth: "I'm always going to remember my first Olympics as the year when my 100-meter spot was taken away from me.''
    No, Jeneba, you GAVE your spot away by refusing to participate in a runoff. No one TOOK anything away from you.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz21emU48cN

I don't have cable and took it for granted that a lot would be streamed on NBC. Unfortunately, I looked yesterday and found that it streams as long as you have a cable, dish or some other account. Very disappointed in the way things have gone with sports viewing, where you can only see something if you have a subscription to it.
    I'm going out tomorrow to get a set of rabbit ears for my TV. Darned if I'll subscribe to 100 channels of junk to see what I would have seen for free as a kid.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Amazing story.

Legally blind South Korean archer Im Dong-hyun set the first world records of the London Olympics, breaking his own record in the 72-arrow mark and participating in the team shoot record during Friday's ranking round. Im broke the 72-arrow record he had set in Turkey in May by three points with a score of 699, hours before the 2012 Games official opening ceremony.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz21qIGY1GF

Turn Off Ads?