Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Olympics Thread

Re: 2012 Olympics Thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

NBCs coverage just started. Bob Costas is finally showing signs of age.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

There was a lot of awkward dance movements with the arms in the production, maybe he was just trying to imitate the dancers?

Looks like a half wave more then a salute.
    Go Gators!

I believe that's the Olympic salute. The Nazi salute is straight forward with the right arm. It amazes me how some go into hysterics every time a German raises an arm.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Having watched the Olympics in other countries, I get so irritated by people like Bob Costas, Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira. Their lame jokes and overall smarmy banter is annoying and some of their comments during the parade of nations is often con descending.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Having watched the Olympics in other countries, I get so irritated by people like Bob Costas, Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira. Their lame jokes and overall smarmy banter is annoying and some of their comments during the parade of nations is often con descending.
    Agreed. Where's Vin Scully when you need him.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Often? Always? I get that there are a lot of nations, but they have teams of researchers. Perhaps asking for a little bit more in-depth stuff than you find on Wikipedia is a bit much.

Also, "This parade of nations is going so fast" was a very effective way of covering up for how bored they were and how much they wanted to just get to the United States.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Often? Always? I get that there are a lot of nations, but they have teams of researchers. Perhaps asking for a little bit more in-depth stuff than you find on Wikipedia is a bit much.

Also, "This parade of nations is going so fast" was a very effective way of covering up for how bored they were and how much they wanted to just get to the United States.
    I think it was Gabon or Gambia where Bob felt he had to repeat the name of their former leader because he thought the name was funny. And I'm sure Ugandans are tired of Idi Amin cracks every time they show up at the Olympics.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Hmm, I thought the parade of nations and the accompanying commentary were great. It had a good pace and Bob and Matt were entertaining.
    Witty signature.

I think that's among the most difficult assignments in all of sports. Maybe in all of communications. You literally have to know something about everywhere. Costas is incredibly underrated.

Costas and Lauer were the lowlight of the evening. NBC as a network in general is just terrible.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I believe that's the Olympic salute. The Nazi salute is straight forward with the right arm. It amazes me how some go into hysterics every time a German raises an arm.
    Well, they did start two world wars..... I would be suspicious.

Two things I've learned so far while watching the Olympics:

1) The Nazis began the torch across the country. It's stuck ever since. I just assumed it began with Greece in the modern Olympics.

2) Were Brittany Hooker and Anthony Davis to make babies, they may be the next evolution of mankind. She's ten, maybe ten and a half feet in the air, literally elbow up over South Korea's best, most athletic volleyballers.

Turn Off Ads?