Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Olympics Thread

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2012 Olympics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    US hoops wins with a late run ... 99-94. I think they can stop comparing themselves to the Dream Team, now.
    World Basketball in 2012 is insanely better than World Basketball in 1992. Comparing the two by 'won by' isn't a fair comparison at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hats off to Galen Rupp, who finished second in the 10,000 meters.

http://www.nj.com/olympics/index.ssf...rah_galen.html

Women's tennis domination!!

Williams wore a smile herself after she became only the second woman to achieve a Golden Slam, winning the most lopsided women's final in Olympic history Saturday by beating Maria Sharapova 6-0, 6-1.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz22cCgmJHx

Wow, these women are vicious in water polo. USA vs. Italy.

Justin Gatlin just ran a 9.82 100M and he was looking to both sides over the last 15M. He won his semi and onto the finals. Bolt is about to run.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 08-05-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Wow. Bolt runs a 9.87 and he was going easy over the last 30M after grabbing a huge lead.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Yeah, Bolt looks the goods.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Blake and Gay ran 9.85 and 9.90 as they were cruising after separating themselves from their heat. Should be an awesome final.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Blake and Gay ran 9.85 and 9.90 as they were cruising after separating themselves from their heat. Should be an awesome final.
    And like the fool that I am, I went to ESPN to see what time they'd run the final. Of course, the event has already happened and the result spoiled for me.

So if you want to watch the final on NBC tonight (I'm guessing they don't show it until around 11:00 tonight), stay the heck away from the internet.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

10 minutes after 11:00 and here we go. Thanks, NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    And like the fool that I am, I went to ESPN to see what time they'd run the final. Of course, the event has already happened and the result spoiled for me.

So if you want to watch the final on NBC tonight (I'm guessing they don't show it until around 11:00 tonight), stay the heck away from the internet.
    I did the same thing you did. It is sad, because this is the only event I care about (well, and the 200). If the Derby is the most exciting 2 minutes in sports, the 100 is the most exciting 9.?? in sports.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Well, that was anti-climatic for anyone not choosing to live like it's 1989. It's a shame. The 100 is far and away my favorite event of the games, and I couldn't care less this year because of it.

It's sucked out most of the emotion from the games for me.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-05-2012 at 11:22 PM.

A few thoughts from London.

1). I'm coming back in 4 years just to watch their coverage. It's great. They show the events all day every day. No fluff. No commercials. Just events.

2) We were at track & field 2 nights ago when GB won gold in the heptathlon, M long jump, and M 10k. It was nuts. Search for the video of the BBC crew cheering for Mo Farrah at the end of the 10,000 meters. Multiply that by everyone in the stadium.

3) We sat in row 1 for a quarterfinal soccer match in Wembley Stadium. I could have spit on the corner flag, that's how close we were. I'm not a big soccer fan, but after sitting that close to the field, I can sure appreciate the game a lot more.

Men's volleyball today, preceded by a tour at Buckingham Palace.

Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

1). I'm coming back in 4 years just to watch their coverage. It's great. They show the events all day every day. No fluff. No commercials. Just events.

2) We were at track & field 2 nights ago when GB won gold in the heptathlon, M long jump, and M 10k. It was nuts. Search for the video of the BBC crew cheering for Mo Farrah at the end of the 10,000 meters. Multiply that by everyone in the stadium.

3) We sat in row 1 for a quarterfinal soccer match in Wembley Stadium. I could have spit on the corner flag, that's how close we were. I'm not a big soccer fan, but after sitting that close to the field, I can sure appreciate the game a lot more.

Men's volleyball today, preceded by a tour at Buckingham Palace.

Life is good.
    Of course it's not a trip to London until you've gone through a roundabout saying, "Hey kids! Big Ben, Parliament!"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

The BBC is commercial-free all the time. But the flip-side of that is that UK citizens have to pay an annual licensing fee of over $200 per color television.

Turn Off Ads?