Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going forward, how would you change this team?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Going forward, how would you change this team?

I used the term 'change' rather than 'fix' since I'm not sure a first place team actually needs fixing. But this team could be better, with some subtle changes. I'm wondering what suggestions people have in that regard.

For me, this is what I would do:

* Ludwick goes to FT in LF and moves to cleanup in the batting order
    * Rolen retires (won't happen) or gets released (again, probably won't happen) or goes on the DL until September (maybe)
    * If Rolen doesn't go then Cairo needs to
    * Frazier goes back to FT at 3b
    * Reds trade (Phipps & Sulbarin?) for Bryan Lahair from the cubs (he can back up at LF, RF, and 3b, and provide pop off the bench)
    *Phillips goes back to leading off

Right now I wouldn't change the pitching, though I wouldn't mind seeing another starter with major league experience brought in at AAA. Reds starters have made every start so far this season, but it would be amazing if that continued the rest of the year. If I was going to trade for a starter, my target would be Clayton Richard from San Diego. He's got a 2/1 GB/FB ratio for his career.

Lineup:
    Phillips
    Stubbs
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Mesigan

Bench:
    Lahair
    Rolen/Cairo
    Valdez
    Heisey
    Haniraco
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Going forward, how would you change this team?

Make it better?

Higher OBP hitters in the 1 & 2 spots. A legit cleanup hitter behind Votto.

Rolen (retires). Frazier full time at 3B.

I might still tweak the bullpen. Seems like Ondrusek is struggling lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Make it better?

Higher OBP hitters in the 1 & 2 spots. A legit cleanup hitter behind Votto.

Rolen (retires). Frazier full time at 3B.

I might still tweak the bullpen. Seems like Ondrusek is struggling lately.
    I think a legit cleanup hitter solves both problems. Allows BP to move to leadoff and Cozart down to 6-7.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The whole "Stubbs can hit in the two-hole" thing was small sample size. Now he's down to .640 OPS in that spot for the year.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    I think a legit cleanup hitter solves both problems. Allows BP to move to leadoff and Cozart down to 6-7.
    Yeah, I can agree with that.

I wonder what Fellhauer would do making the jump. His splits vs RHP this year are among the best in the minors:

.325 /.415 /.433 /.848

with a K and BB rate both around 13%.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    The whole "Stubbs can hit in the two-hole" thing was small sample size. Now he's down to .640 OPS in that spot for the year.
    Actually he's OPS'ing .808 for the year in the 2-hole.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Trade for Dexter Fowler,but that won't happen so moving Ludwick to the cleanup slot is a good idea but I doubt that happens either.Fix the bench and maybe get another reliable reliever for the stretch.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

"So Fla Red"

First wave the magic wand to dispense pixie dust and make the ouchie in Joey's knee better...

Then move Ludwick to cleanup and Phillips to leadoff. Cozart to the two hole and Stubbs back to 7th. Heisey back to 2 games a week spelling Ludwick and Stubbs. Frazier as your fulltime 3B. Walt working the phones to find a couple of LH bats for the bench one for the LF/CF mix.

Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Stubbs
    Mesoranigan

Short term. Obvious need is OBP and hitting vs. righty pitching. One solution is to accquire DeJesus or Seth Smith.

If Rolen hangs them up, this acquisition can replace Scott on the roster. If not, trade off a current outfielder such as Heisey. DeJesus can play CF so he works well if Heisey is gone.

Longer term. Acquire a RHH cleanup hitter who hits both righty and lefty pitching well.

Pitching. Cueto, Leake, and Latos are mainstays IMO. Figure out ways to improve the Bailey and Arroyo slots whether it be Chapman starting or trades to upgrade rotation.

Bench. Should have a solid lefty pinch hitter on the bench at some point. When Cairo's contract is up this year, his replacement should be that guy.

Bullpen: After this season figure out Chapman's role and if he is a starter either acquire a closer, re-sign Madson to close, or convert someone in-house to close games. Plenty of bullpen depth, especially with the lefty reliever at AAA Joseph soon to arrive.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Call me crazy but, I want another starter. I want World Series banners and I don't think trotting one of Arroyo, Bailey, or Leake out there in game three is going to get it done. U say this because one pitcher can make a much bigger difference in the playoffs than one bat.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    Call me crazy but, I want another starter. I want World Series banners and I don't think trotting one of Arroyo, Bailey, or Leake out there in game three is going to get it done. U say this because one pitcher can make a much bigger difference in the playoffs than one bat.
    I agree but I wouldn't be so fast to get rid of Mike Leake. He is still young and inexperienced. He tends to start seasons slowly, which must be fixed.

But I want him on the team. I think he'll be really good even though he's not a fireballer.

Acquire Dexter Fowler or David DeJesus for leadoff solution. Move Cozart to #2 (OBP: .431 | OPS 1.016 in #2 spot - small sample size), BP stays at #4 and Stubbs to #7. Respective OBP's this season for Fowler and DeJesus while hitting in the #1 spot: .424 and .381

OR

Acquire Carlos Quentin for cleanup solution and move BP back to #1, Cozart to #2 and Stubbs to #7. Quentin's OPS this season while hitting in the #4 spot: 1.068.

AND

Start the ToddFather at 3B with Rolen as backup or pinch hitter/defensive replacement.

Acquire Bryan LaHair for lefty bat and position flexibility. Makes bench better. DFA Miguel Cairo.

Acquire another starter w/ proven record with Bailey as the odd man out.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Actually he's OPS'ing .808 for the year in the 2-hole.
    You're correct. Not sure what yahoo was showing me back then.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Stubbs/Heisey/Cozart/Frazier/Ludwick are pretty similar in the batter's box -- righties with low OBP and middling power. Of course Cozart's not going anywhere but I'd look at the rest.

Turn Off Ads?