Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake

Mike Leake

Hey all,

I just think that this guy deserves some recognition. I know that he isn't viewed as a top level prospect, or someone that can anchor a rotation for his career or ever be an all-star...but I really like him. I think he's a great middle of the rotation guy and down the line I hope that he stays with the Reds. He seems to have spunk, he's only 24 and given that he skipped AAA entirely I think that the organization sees something in him, too.

He's had a good season so far after April and I think that it can continue. Anyone else a big Leake fan?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Mike Leake

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Hey all,

I just think that this guy deserves some recognition. I know that he isn't viewed as a top level prospect, or someone that can anchor a rotation for his career or ever be an all-star...but I really like him. I think he's a great middle of the rotation guy and down the line I hope that he stays with the Reds. He seems to have spunk, he's only 24 and given that he skipped AAA entirely I think that the organization sees something in him, too.

He's had a good season so far after April and I think that it can continue. Anyone else a big Leake fan?
    I wouldn't say I'm a big fan, but I like the kid. It's pretty impressive to basically come straight from the draft to the major leagues. He was sent down that 1 time. He got off to a slow start this year but has picked it up a lil as of late. I think he should have a very solid MLB career.

Mike Leake is the one Red I think gets ignored and overlooked when we discuss how good this Reds team can be. In only his third year he has shown the ability to pitch full MLB seasons and is pretty reliable in his innings and K/BB. While I don't think he will ever contend for a Cy Young he should have a career arc similar to Arroyo with the potential for slightly better. An annual 12-14 win guy with an ERA under 4.00 works for me.

You certainly take a guy like Leake as a fourth of fifth starter. The upside may not be there like other young pitchers but I'll take steady unspectacular guys to round out the rotation. He's cheap, keeps us in games, and is a good guy when he's not returning t-shirts.

The thing I like about Leake is that he really helps himself offensively and defensively. At some point in his career he will win a Gold Glove. He may not have the stuff of some of our other guys, but you can see where he's making strides. The guy is still young, like the guy above me said, as a 4-5 starter you can sure do a lot worse.

Also if his pitching trails off we could always make him our left fielder -- he has the bat for it. :P

Leake is a STUD. The lukewarm reation to him on this board is a great litmus test for how little most on here know about pitching.

If I were into buying jerseys, his would be at the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Leake is a STUD. The lukewarm reation to him on this board is a great litmus test for how little most on here know about pitching.
    What do you think his ceiling is?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    What do you think his ceiling is?
    Personally, I think he could be a Greg Maddux type.

He is 2-5 with a 4.7 ERA

He is the most over rated red

Nothing but a junk ball pitcher, for his career players are hitting .272

Why do people keep comparing him to Maddux, Maddux had control.

At age 24 Maddux already had 60 wins a 3.68 ERA and 26 CG

xsteve1

Leake has been the 2nd best pitcher on the staff the last 2 years. Plus he's a good hitter. It's obvious there are people on this board that are really clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    He is 2-5 with a 4.7 ERA

He is the most over rated red

Nothing but a junk ball pitcher, for his career players are hitting .272

Why do people keep comparing him to Maddux, Maddux had control.

At age 24 Maddux already had 60 wins a 3.68 ERA and 26 CG

Mozart was writing music at age 5.
    Last edited by miamiredskin; 06-23-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: no text

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Leake is A-OK as long as he's not one of your top three guys in the rotation IMO. As a No. 4 or 5, he's better than what most people run out there. And I like what he brings to the table with the threat of swinging the bat, running the bases.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

It's also worth noting that according to his xFIP he's been pretty unlucky as a pitcher to this point in his career.

Turn Off Ads?