Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton hits 100

Re: Hamilton hits 100

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    I may be the only one who feels this way (and apologize in advance for being a buzzkill), but as entertaining as Hamilton is to follow, he's a side show, a circus act. He's obviously very gifted physically and can run like the wind but as he moves up into the upper levels of the minors his act will get less and less impressive. Pitchers will be better at holding him close and catchers will be better equipped to gun him down. The Reds would do well to cash him in at the deadline or this offseason as I don't expect his value to ever be higher. Speed is fleeting and he's one hamstring injury away from mediocrity. Yeah, he could be Vince Coleman, but the odds say he's more Joey Gathright.
    The best part right now is that even if Hamilton onlu had 30 SB's, he'd still be a prospect because he is hitting and getting on base and has potential at CF and SS. Take SB out of the subject and he's still a prospect. Include them, and he is a top tier prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Can we nip in the bud any idea that he should be brought up this year? Dude is in high-A. There's no reason to rush him up the majors.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

1. I think management is going to keep Billy at Bakersfield so he can break the record. It will bring that much more notoriety if he does it (which I'm sure he will).

2. I don't want him moved up to double A until next season. And I'm hoping they move him to CF. But I keep wondering if they're keeping him at SS to increase his trade value. Shortstops are at a higher premium than CFers. And CFers who lack power aren't in much need either.

3. I'd love to see Billy continue to get better and better and be a solid major league leadoff man for the Reds.

4. But........if some team would overpay to get him right now, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    don't want him moved up to double A until next season. And I'm hoping they move him to CF. But I keep wondering if they're keeping him at SS to increase his trade value. Shortstops are at a higher premium than CFers. And CFers who lack power aren't in much need either.
    Then why move him off shortstop? Even if he doesn't run into any obstacles (pun intended), he hits the big time in 2014 at the earliest IMO. I don't see any need to shoehorn him onto the major league roster at this point.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

If he were a great athlete, I'm confident he would have reached 200 by now. (Too soon?)

Here in LA, and after the game I got to go down to the Reds clubhouse (friends with a sportswriter). There we ran into Eric Davis, who spends a lot of time in Bakersfield. My friend asked when Hamilton's time will come. Davis said, "His time will come when his time comes." When my friend then asked him if that meant this year, Davis become very demonstrative and said absolutely not, that you do not bring him up to the majors until he is ready for the majors, not even just to do soma few things.

Now Eric Davis is not Walt Jocketty, but just thought I'd share what I heard.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Here in LA, and after the game I got to go down to the Reds clubhouse (friends with a sportswriter). There we ran into Eric Davis, who spends a lot of time in Bakersfield. My friend asked when Hamilton's time will come. Davis said, "His time will come when his time comes." When my friend then asked him if that meant this year, Davis become very demonstrative and said absolutely not, that you do not bring him up to the majors until he is ready for the majors, not even just to do soma few things.

Now Eric Davis is not Walt Jocketty, but just thought I'd share what I heard.
    Eric the Red speaks from experience.

He really struggled making the adjustment to the majors and was sent back to the minors twice before finally sticking in the big leagues. He knows that putting up pretty numbers in the bush leagues doesn't always mean a guy is ready for the bigs.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Then why move him off shortstop? Even if he doesn't run into any obstacles (pun intended), he hits the big time in 2014 at the earliest IMO. I don't see any need to shoehorn him onto the major league roster at this point.
    Because it doesn't sound, from all reports, that he's a very good defensive shortstop. And with all that speed, if he's going to be moved to CF, now is the time to do it, or atleast next season.

I don't know where you got the idea I want to rush him to the majors.

1. I think management is going to keep Billy at Bakersfield so he can break the record. It will bring that much more notoriety if he does it (which I'm sure he will).

2. I don't want him moved up to double A until next season. And I'm hoping they move him to CF. But I keep wondering if they're keeping him at SS to increase his trade value. Shortstops are at a higher premium than CFers. And CFers who lack power aren't in much need either.

3. I'd love to see Billy continue to get better and better and be a solid major league leadoff man for the Reds.

4. But........if some team would overpay to get him right now, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.
    Bavasi said recently he's moving up to AA sometime this year, perhaps soon.

I think he ends up in CF but that is not a hard transition for most infielders. Heck, Dale Murphy did it as a catcher! Center is also the easiest outfield spot to play if you have the legs for it (from my own experience as a lefty who always ended up in the OF or at 1st). Far easier than the corners where the angles are much harder to read and play. And Billy definitely has the legs for it.

Because it doesn't sound, from all reports, that he's a very good defensive shortstop. And with all that speed, if he's going to be moved to CF, now is the time to do it, or atleast next season.

I don't know where you got the idea I want to rush him to the majors.
    I thought maybe you wanted him in center eventually because of the relative void of production out there at the big club. Obviously not calling him up now.

From what I've gathered, he's inconsistent at short, but has some incredible potential there. I'd rather he stay at short for at least another year just because I think he's gonna need all the defensive value he can get. I'll take his light stick at shortstop; not so sure about center.

Because it doesn't sound, from all reports, that he's a very good defensive shortstop.
    He's only 21 years old.

Lots of solid major league SS were awful defensively at that age. As long as he continues to improve his defense, which by all accounts he is still doing, he should be left at the more valuable defensive position.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    From what I've gathered, he's inconsistent at short, but has some incredible potential there. I'd rather he stay at short for at least another year just because I think he's gonna need all the defensive value he can get. I'll take his light stick at shortstop; not so sure about center.
    And this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    He's only 21 years old.

Lots of solid major league SS were awful defensively at that age. As long as he continues to improve his defense, which by all accounts he is still doing, he should be left at the more valuable defensive position.
    As for me, I'm as geeked about Billy Hamilton as I have been about any prospect ever.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What kind of comp (gulp) is Deion Sanders to Billy?
    Hmilton is probably the better hitter but they have similar speed. As far as who is the better baserunner, though, I'd bet on Deion.

Lot of whispering going around the stadium tonight that Hamilton will be P-Cola bound after the Futures game with Didi heading off to AAA.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Turn Off Ads?