Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: Hamilton hits 100

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,080

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    I may be the only one who feels this way (and apologize in advance for being a buzzkill), but as entertaining as Hamilton is to follow, he's a side show, a circus act. He's obviously very gifted physically and can run like the wind but as he moves up into the upper levels of the minors his act will get less and less impressive. Pitchers will be better at holding him close and catchers will be better equipped to gun him down. The Reds would do well to cash him in at the deadline or this offseason as I don't expect his value to ever be higher. Speed is fleeting and he's one hamstring injury away from mediocrity. Yeah, he could be Vince Coleman, but the odds say he's more Joey Gathright.
    The best part right now is that even if Hamilton onlu had 30 SB's, he'd still be a prospect because he is hitting and getting on base and has potential at CF and SS. Take SB out of the subject and he's still a prospect. Include them, and he is a top tier prospect.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,496

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Can we nip in the bud any idea that he should be brought up this year? Dude is in high-A. There's no reason to rush him up the majors.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  4. #33
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    1. I think management is going to keep Billy at Bakersfield so he can break the record. It will bring that much more notoriety if he does it (which I'm sure he will).

    2. I don't want him moved up to double A until next season. And I'm hoping they move him to CF. But I keep wondering if they're keeping him at SS to increase his trade value. Shortstops are at a higher premium than CFers. And CFers who lack power aren't in much need either.

    3. I'd love to see Billy continue to get better and better and be a solid major league leadoff man for the Reds.

    4. But........if some team would overpay to get him right now, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  5. #34
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    don't want him moved up to double A until next season. And I'm hoping they move him to CF. But I keep wondering if they're keeping him at SS to increase his trade value. Shortstops are at a higher premium than CFers. And CFers who lack power aren't in much need either.
    Then why move him off shortstop? Even if he doesn't run into any obstacles (pun intended), he hits the big time in 2014 at the earliest IMO. I don't see any need to shoehorn him onto the major league roster at this point.

  6. #35
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    If he were a great athlete, I'm confident he would have reached 200 by now. (Too soon?)

  7. #36
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Here in LA, and after the game I got to go down to the Reds clubhouse (friends with a sportswriter). There we ran into Eric Davis, who spends a lot of time in Bakersfield. My friend asked when Hamilton's time will come. Davis said, "His time will come when his time comes." When my friend then asked him if that meant this year, Davis become very demonstrative and said absolutely not, that you do not bring him up to the majors until he is ready for the majors, not even just to do soma few things.

    Now Eric Davis is not Walt Jocketty, but just thought I'd share what I heard.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Here in LA, and after the game I got to go down to the Reds clubhouse (friends with a sportswriter). There we ran into Eric Davis, who spends a lot of time in Bakersfield. My friend asked when Hamilton's time will come. Davis said, "His time will come when his time comes." When my friend then asked him if that meant this year, Davis become very demonstrative and said absolutely not, that you do not bring him up to the majors until he is ready for the majors, not even just to do soma few things.

    Now Eric Davis is not Walt Jocketty, but just thought I'd share what I heard.
    Eric the Red speaks from experience.

    He really struggled making the adjustment to the majors and was sent back to the minors twice before finally sticking in the big leagues. He knows that putting up pretty numbers in the bush leagues doesn't always mean a guy is ready for the bigs.

  9. #38
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Then why move him off shortstop? Even if he doesn't run into any obstacles (pun intended), he hits the big time in 2014 at the earliest IMO. I don't see any need to shoehorn him onto the major league roster at this point.
    Because it doesn't sound, from all reports, that he's a very good defensive shortstop. And with all that speed, if he's going to be moved to CF, now is the time to do it, or atleast next season.

    I don't know where you got the idea I want to rush him to the majors.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  10. #39
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,774

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    1. I think management is going to keep Billy at Bakersfield so he can break the record. It will bring that much more notoriety if he does it (which I'm sure he will).

    2. I don't want him moved up to double A until next season. And I'm hoping they move him to CF. But I keep wondering if they're keeping him at SS to increase his trade value. Shortstops are at a higher premium than CFers. And CFers who lack power aren't in much need either.

    3. I'd love to see Billy continue to get better and better and be a solid major league leadoff man for the Reds.

    4. But........if some team would overpay to get him right now, I'd trade him in a heartbeat.
    Bavasi said recently he's moving up to AA sometime this year, perhaps soon.

  11. #40
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,813

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    I think he ends up in CF but that is not a hard transition for most infielders. Heck, Dale Murphy did it as a catcher! Center is also the easiest outfield spot to play if you have the legs for it (from my own experience as a lefty who always ended up in the OF or at 1st). Far easier than the corners where the angles are much harder to read and play. And Billy definitely has the legs for it.

  12. #41
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Because it doesn't sound, from all reports, that he's a very good defensive shortstop. And with all that speed, if he's going to be moved to CF, now is the time to do it, or atleast next season.

    I don't know where you got the idea I want to rush him to the majors.
    I thought maybe you wanted him in center eventually because of the relative void of production out there at the big club. Obviously not calling him up now.

    From what I've gathered, he's inconsistent at short, but has some incredible potential there. I'd rather he stay at short for at least another year just because I think he's gonna need all the defensive value he can get. I'll take his light stick at shortstop; not so sure about center.

  13. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Because it doesn't sound, from all reports, that he's a very good defensive shortstop.
    He's only 21 years old.

    Lots of solid major league SS were awful defensively at that age. As long as he continues to improve his defense, which by all accounts he is still doing, he should be left at the more valuable defensive position.

  14. #43
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,163

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    From what I've gathered, he's inconsistent at short, but has some incredible potential there. I'd rather he stay at short for at least another year just because I think he's gonna need all the defensive value he can get. I'll take his light stick at shortstop; not so sure about center.
    And this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    He's only 21 years old.

    Lots of solid major league SS were awful defensively at that age. As long as he continues to improve his defense, which by all accounts he is still doing, he should be left at the more valuable defensive position.
    As for me, I'm as geeked about Billy Hamilton as I have been about any prospect ever.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  15. #44
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,583

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What kind of comp (gulp) is Deion Sanders to Billy?
    Hmilton is probably the better hitter but they have similar speed. As far as who is the better baserunner, though, I'd bet on Deion.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    516

    Re: Hamilton hits 100

    Lot of whispering going around the stadium tonight that Hamilton will be P-Cola bound after the Futures game with Didi heading off to AAA.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25