Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds linked to Mark Kotsay

Reds linked to Mark Kotsay

From MLBTraderumors.com:

Padres outfielder/first baseman Mark Kotsay is drawing interest from multiple clubs, including the Reds, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports. However, the Padres value Kotsay's leadership and may keep him. Kotsay, 36, has a .292/.370/.375 batting line in 81 plate appearances and a salary of just $1.25MM. The left-handed hitter could provide the Reds with late-game flexibility at a reasonable cost.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...rk-kotsay.html
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-13-2012 at 12:52 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds linked to Mark Kotsay

(With) Kotsay, to have a player on your bench who can go up against a setup man or closer and give you a good at-bat almost every time, you don’t find many guys like that. He can really hit. He understands what he needs to do.”
    http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...otsay/11213344

Sounds much like Scott Rolen.

He'd be a good fit as a bench bat and occasional outfielder. He's not going to be a difference maker, but I wouldn't mind having him if the cost is a middling minor leaguer. The Reds should still make another move even of they do pick up Kotsay, but I'm having a hard time speculating what that move might be since I'm unsure about what kind of payroll flexibility the Reds have.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    He'd be a good fit as a bench bat and occasional outfielder. He's not going to be a difference maker, but I wouldn't mind having him if the cost is a middling minor leaguer. The Reds should still make another move even of they do pick up Kotsay, but I'm having a hard time speculating what that move might be since I'm unsure about what kind of payroll flexibility the Reds have.
    Did anyone think Cody Ross would be a difference maker for the Giants in their run to through the playoffs and WS?

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

I'll take Mark Kotsay on the bench over the Willie Harris / George Costanza experiment any day. Cairo is hitting like a turd this season, but I still think he adds value to the team in other ways - but we cannot afford to keep our bench full of guys hitting below .200.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

He would improve our bench

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Did anyone think Cody Ross would be a difference maker for the Giants in their run to through the playoffs and WS?
    No, I didn't see that coming, but Ross was 29 at the time and always slugged well. His rise wasn't completely inconceivable. On the other hand, Kotsay is 36 and hasn't really been good for a while now. He's a decent bench guy, but I couldn't see him OPSing better than the .700-.730 range as a regular.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 07-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    I'll take Mark Kotsay on the bench over the Willie Harris / George Costanza experiment any day. Cairo is hitting like a turd this season, but I still think he adds value to the team in other ways - but we cannot afford to keep our bench full of guys hitting below .200.
    Neither Harris or Costanzo are on the bench anymore, though. So unless you think he'd agree to bolster our minor league depth, someone would still have to be removed from the current active roster to make any additions. Don't think it can be Valdez because of his positional versatility. Don't think you could argue for that guy to be Frazier or Ludwick at this point either.

For my money, Cairo is clearly the weakest link anymore. And that's not to take anything away from his contributions to the club in his time here. But I still don't know why the Reds gave him a two year deal.
    Last edited by Larkin88; 07-13-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Neither Harris or Costanzo are on the bench anymore, though. So unless you think he'd agree to bolster our minor league depth, someone would still have to be removed from the current active roster to make any additions. Don't think it can be Valdez because of his positional versatility. Don't think you could argue for that guy to be Frazier or Ludwick at this point either.

For my money, Cairo is clearly the weakest link anymore. And that's not to take anything away from his contributions to the club in his time here. But I still don't know why the Reds gave him a two year deal.
    I guess I'm assuming Rolen will go back on the DL at some point soon, or perhaps retire. I think you're right about Valdez, and the only other roster player I'd sacrifice is Stubbs. And I'm not so sure I'm on board with a Kotsay for Stubbs move.

The team suffers with Rolen and Cairo eating up spots. We can live with one but not both.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    The team suffers with Rolen and Cairo eating up spots. We can live with one but not both.
    Yes - the powers that be will have to address this 'problem' hopefully sooner rather than later. As long as Rolen is on the active roster, Frazier will sit way too much. If they would slide Rolen into Cairo's role I could live with that but I ain't holdin' my breath.

Releasing one of these two and adding Kotsay would no doubt strengthen the club.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Not all that thrilled about Kotsay, but as others have suggested, it's a better bench option than some of the guys we've seen run out there this season. As long as he doesn't cost anything, it would probably be a decent pick-up.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?