Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 7/4

Birthdays: 7/4

Reds:

Ed Armbrister (64) -It wasn't interference...

Others:

Vinnie Castilla (45) -Rockies career leader in a number of offensive categories, thanks mostly to pre-humidor Coors Field...He was the last of the original Rockies to be active.

Hal Lanier (70) -Son of pitcher Max Lanier; Hal was an infielder, but he hit like a pitcher. Career OPS: .529...From 1967 through 1969, Hal had the lowest OBP and the lowest SLG in the league every year...Two players were teammates of both Max and Hal: Don Larsen and Willie Mays.

Chuck Tanner -Best remembered as an extreme good-cop manager who needed to be a bad cop when drugs were taking over his Pittsburgh team and couldn't pull it off.

Jack Warhop -Surrendered Babe Ruth's first two career home runs...Still the Yankee franchise leader in hit batsmen, both for a season and for a career.

George Mullin -Tiger pitcher in the early days; still the franchise leader in games stared and innings pitched...A fine hitter, especially for a pitcher; he actually once pinch-hit for Ty Cobb. I bet Ty loved that...

Mickey Welch -I put him in here because I try to include all the Hall of Famers, and he is one, albeit a really obscure one...There's really nothing too remarkable about him other than that he once struck out the first nine batters he faced in a game.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 7/4

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Mickey Welch -I put him in here because I try to include all the Hall of Famers, and he is one, albeit a really obscure one...There's really nothing too remarkable about him other than that he once struck out the first nine batters he faced in a game.
    Many credit him as being the first pinch hitter in big league history on 9/10/1889--despite the fact pinch hitting wasn't yet legalized. Pretty interesting career. I love 19th Century baseball.

Welch is a 300 gme winner. Not too obscure IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Ed Armbrister (64) -It wasn't interference...
    Debatable, but I'm very glad the call went the way it did. The Reds needed that game.

Turn Off Ads?