Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Just how good has our pitching been???

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    719

    Just how good has our pitching been???

    # 5 overall team ERA in majors at 3.46...

    Starting pitching...

    Tied for league lead in Complete games with 6...
    Starting pitching ERA 3.79, quality start % 61.. 521 inngs pitched.


    Relief

    Tied for league lead in ERA 2.7, only 213 innings pitch, low is San Fran at 200. #2 in BAA at .212...

    Shocking considering we played almost half of the games at Great American.

    I couldn't find an ERA plus showing the impact of the Great American.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,784

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Our team ERA+ is 2nd best in baseball at 122. The Nationals are at 123. The Dodgers are at 118.

    Our bullpen is allowing 22% of inherited runners to score. That is tied with the Yankees for 2nd best in baseball.

  4. #3
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,203

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Seems odd that you can make a good argument that the Reds have the best all around pitching staff in baseball this year when they have had only five different guys start for them and four of those five sport an ERA over 4.

  5. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,784

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Seems odd that you can make a good argument that the Reds have the best all around pitching staff in baseball this year when they have had only five different guys start for them and four of those five sport an ERA over 4.
    Bullpen has been lights out. Cueto has been lights out. GABP is showing its ugly head (our 4 guys with ERA's just over 4 to 4.42 are all league average when it comes to ERA+).

  6. #5
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Good enough that the offensive "woes" don't worry me as much as they typically would.

  7. #6
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,560

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Consider this too -- Mat Latos has only recently started to turn the corner with his performances.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    12,778

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Good enough that the offensive "woes" don't worry me as much as they typically would.
    As I just expressed in my Status through 80 games thread, I feel the exact opposite.

    The Reds defense is superb and the pitching is the best I can remember.

    The offensive "woes" are real woes and should be fixed.

    it would be shame if this team didn't win the Central division because of offensive issues that have been apparent since April, if not earlier.

  9. #8
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    As I just expressed in my Status through 80 games thread, I feel the exact opposite.

    The Reds defense is superb and the pitching is the best I can remember.

    The offensive "woes" are real woes and should be fixed.

    it would be shame if this team didn't win the Central division because of offensive issues that have been apparent since April, if not earlier.
    5th in the NL in OPS. 4th in ERA. The teams ahead of them are all trailing Cincy in the playoff chase.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    12,778

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    5th in the NL in OPS. 4th in ERA. The teams ahead of them are all trailing Cincy in the playoff chase.
    We all know that OPS is a shorthand stat that needs to be broken down before any conclusions are drawn.

    Reds are 10th in the NL in OBP. Reds are fourteenth of sixteen NL teams in OBP against righty pitching at .310.

    Reds are 9th in NL in BA and 13th in BA against righty pitching.

    Reds are 8th in runs in NL.

    All this playing in a home run stadium with the great Votto in the lineup.

  11. #10
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,530

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    We all know that OPS is a shorthand stat that needs to be broken down before any conclusions are drawn.

    Reds are 10th in the NL in OBP. Reds are fourteenth of sixteen NL teams in OBP against righty pitching at .310.

    Reds are 9th in NL in BA and 13th in BA against righty pitching.

    Reds are 8th in runs in NL.

    All this playing in a home run stadium with the great Votto in the lineup.
    Granted you have to dig deep within OPS sometimes, but you have gone and cherry picked the worst splits. If you aren't even going to touch slugging %, how can the above post not be considered biased.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    12,778

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Granted you have to dig deep within OPS sometimes, but you have gone and cherry picked the worst splits. If you aren't even going to touch slugging %, how can the above post not be considered biased.
    If you want to see the good and bad, I spent an hour today writing a post about the Reds stats after 80 games. I refer you to it.

    Here, I am arguing the fact that the Reds offense is broken and it is worse than reflected in team OPS ranking. So I am pointing out where I think it is broken.

    Yes, there are good things about the offense too. And try to eliminate the word biased from the discussion, because it is unnecessary and offensive.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-04-2012 at 06:32 PM.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,577

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Rotation has set a record for most starts by the original five sine the gay 90's. 1890's. 1898 to be exact. Why .....i was rather bully on that team with Sad Sack Seymour leading our batting brigade. Anyways..... I hope when the AS Break ends that Arroyo is pulling the rear.....and they start skipping however the weakest link is, and give Latos, Cueto and Bailey at least a extra start during the rest of the season.

    The way Dusty likes to cut off his offense at the knees with his lineups......so he can apparently keep scoring down and use his double switches more often and move relievers in and out as much as possible..... this team needs all it can from it's top 3 starters.

  14. #13
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    We all know that OPS is a shorthand stat that needs to be broken down before any conclusions are drawn.

    Reds are 10th in the NL in OBP. Reds are fourteenth of sixteen NL teams in OBP against righty pitching at .310.

    Reds are 9th in NL in BA and 13th in BA against righty pitching.

    Reds are 8th in runs in NL.

    All this playing in a home run stadium with the great Votto in the lineup.
    Vs RHp, Washington is 9th in OPS, Dodgers are 12th, SF is 13th and Pitt is 15th.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    12,778

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Vs RHp, Washington is 9th in OPS, Dodgers are 12th, SF is 13th and Pitt is 15th.
    Nats have the best pitching in the NL, they may be able to get away with a hitting deficiency.

    Giants and Dodgers play in NL West, big stadiums, accordingly their offensive numbers may suffer but presumably they get an equal benefit on the pitching side.

    As for the Pirates, clearly their offensive numbers are terrible against righties and, frankly, against lefties. They are getting away with it so far and have been hot lately, but I certainly think they are an exception to the rule. They have won a lot of close games and the breaks seem to have gone their way.

    As for the Reds, playing at GABP, I can't imagine they can improve their pitching much, it's so much better than it has been for years. Same for their defense. So to win, I think they need to improve offense.

    They have hitters like Votto and Bruce and need to get more guys on base for them, mostly against RHP. That's the only way I know to improve the team, other than wishing and hoping.

  16. #15
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Just how good has our pitching been???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Nats have the best pitching in the NL, they may be able to get away with a hitting deficiency.

    Giants and Dodgers play in NL West, big stadiums, accordingly their offensive numbers may suffer but presumably they get an equal benefit on the pitching side.

    As for the Pirates, clearly their offensive numbers are terrible against righties and, frankly, against lefties. They are getting away with it so far and have been hot lately, but I certainly think they are an exception to the rule. They have won a lot of close games and the breaks seem to have gone their way.

    As for the Reds, playing at GABP, I can't imagine they can improve their pitching much, it's so
    much better than it has been for years. Same for their defense. So to win, I think they need to improve offense.

    They have hitters like Votto and Bruce and need to get more guys on base for them, mostly against RHP. That's the only way I know to improve the team, other than wishing and hoping.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see them upgrade the offense. It's just that I don't think they are in as dire need as some others do, as offense is down everywhere.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 07-04-2012 at 08:31 PM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25