Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Were will the Reds be in the standings on Aug. 4th?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Re: Were will the Reds be in the standings on Aug. 4th?

How can you win over 1500 games and not know how to put a lineup together?
    A very good question. And yet, somehow, Dusty manages to pull it off.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    A very good question. And yet, somehow, Dusty manages to pull it off.
    I think most of the success Dusty's teams have had are in spite of his efforts not because of his efforts.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    1st place on August 4th.....book it!!!
    How DARE you be positive?!?!?

Go Reds!!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Where does August 4th come into play? Strange date....

Including Aug. 4th, the Reds have 8 games against the Pirates, 10 games against the Cubs, 6 games against the Astros, and 7 against the struggling Phillies. Seven games back doesn't really seem that bad with those many winable games on the schedule.

Go Reds!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

The same place they've been most of the season so far, in first place. The Pirates are going to come back to earth at some point. If not for a handful of ridiculous late game losses, the Reds would be comfortably in first place. With the kind of pitching and defense the Reds have, there's no way they'll ever be seven games out of first. So far we're 3-4 on the west coast swing, having played arguably two of the five best teams in the league. We just need to take three of four from the Pads and it will have been a successful road trip. I hope some of you guys don't live near any bridges.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    The same place they've been most of the season so far, in first place. The Pirates are going to come back to earth at some point. If not for a handful of ridiculous late game losses, the Reds would be comfortably in first place. With the kind of pitching and defense the Reds have, there's no way they'll ever be seven games out of first. So far we're 3-4 on the west coast swing, having played arguably two of the five best teams in the league. We just need to take three of four from the Pads and it will have been a successful road trip. I hope some of you guys don't live near any bridges.
    We went 3-4 against the Giants....but the Dodgers were without Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and we missed Kershaw....that was not even remotely close to a top NL team as we faced them.

Aug 4th

Cards +1
    Reds -1
    Pirates -4
    Brewers -8
    Astros -12
    Cubs -15

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    We went 3-4 against the Giants....but the Dodgers were without Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and we missed Kershaw....that was not even remotely close to a top NL team as we faced them.
    I could be wrong, but I believe we were 4-3 against the Giants this year (including two games we absolutely blew late). As of yesterday, the Dodgers were #5 in USA Today's MLB power rankings (one spot behind SF and one spot ahead of the Reds), and they are now back in first place in the NL West. Even without Kemp and Ethier, they're pretty good.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

EMAW

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I think most of the success Dusty's teams have had are in spite of his efforts not because of his efforts.
    So, give you a manager that does not win games, but does things the way you like and you will be happy?

I could be wrong, but I believe we were 4-3 against the Giants this year (including two games we absolutely blew late). As of yesterday, the Dodgers were #5 in USA Today's MLB power rankings (one spot behind SF and one spot ahead of the Reds), and they are now back in first place in the NL West. Even without Kemp and Ethier, they're pretty good.
    I know throughout the season the Dodgers have been very good....but they were without 2 of the most productive players in the NL (by far their most productive) and we missed a unanimous CY from last year. I agree they have been 1 of the best teams the 1st half....but we'll just have to disagree on the team we just faced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I know throughout the season the Dodgers have been very good....but they were without 2 of the most productive players in the NL (by far their most productive) and we missed a unanimous CY from last year. I agree they have been 1 of the best teams the 1st half....but we'll just have to disagree on the team we just faced.
    We lost the last two nights because the Dodger pitching staff shut us down. Their offense isn't the same without Kemp and Ethier, obviously, but they still have one of the five best pitching staffs in the league -- even with us missing Kershaw. I know I'm in the minority, but going 3-4 at SF and LA isn't that bad. We just need to hammer the Padres. If we can't do that, we don't deserve to be in first place right now anyway.

We lost the last two nights because the Dodger pitching staff shut us down. Their offense isn't the same without Kemp and Ethier, obviously, but they still have one of the five best pitching staffs in the league -- even with us missing Kershaw. I know I'm in the minority, but going 3-4 at SF and LA isn't that bad. We just need to hammer the Padres. If we can't do that, we don't deserve to be in first place right now anyway.
    3-4 doesn't bother me....but 6-10 starts to.

Without even looking at the schedule In 3rd place 6 out, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Falcon7; 07-05-2012 at 12:19 PM.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

One item that bodes well for the team's performing well down the stretch is that this bullpen, in addition to being one of the league's best, is very well-rested. In years past it was overused early and scuffled in the second half.
    The rotation is greatly improved from even 2010. This staff is very close to being the best in the majors.
    Another factor is the fact that defense never slumps. Or maybe it doesn't have such severe ups and downs as the other parts of the game.

Pitching plus defense wins championships.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    One item that bodes well for the team's performing well down the stretch is that this bullpen, in addition to being one of the league's best, is very well-rested. In years past it was overused early and scuffled in the second half.
    The rotation is greatly improved from even 2010. This staff is very close to being the best in the majors.
    Another factor is the fact that defense never slumps. Or maybe it doesn't have such severe ups and downs as the other parts of the game.

Pitching plus defense wins championships.
    When you can only score an average of 3 runs a game idk if our pitching will be enough. It definitely wont be enough in the playoffs if the Reds make it there

Pitching plus defense plus offense wins championships.

Turn Off Ads?