Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Dusty on the hot seat?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Dusty on the hot seat?

I think it's a little premature to call this a slump -- at least in terms of the overall record. 4-6 in the last ten is not pretty, but it is also unremarkable. I think they'll turn it around.

Of course, whether Dusty gets an extension is another story. So I'm not sure exactly what this guy is writing about.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Between this article and the Greinke article in the Biz Courier, it's not clear to me if the authors have any actual information or if they are just like you and me, posting ideas. They certainly don't go out of their way to substantiate their claims in the article. Perhaps that's a condition of obtaining the information they are "just talking" about.

On the other hand, I find it entirely likely they are just fishing for readers.

I dont think the author has any inside info and I do think they are just fishing for readers, but as he points out, I do think Dusty is on the hotseat.....there is no reason we should not be leading the central by 5+ games.....we have lost to many 1 run games or close games that should have been won....Is that Dusty's fault? maybe 10% of the time it is, the results are brought on by the players, but Dusty is the one who takes the credit or the blame and in this case he will be taking the blame if we do not take control of the central....to many weak spots in the central for us not to be leading by a big stretch....If Walt makes a move and gets us some support, then its win the central or bye bye Dusty.....If Walt sits on his thumbs and does not get any help at the deadline then I think Dusty will get a little extra rope to either hang himself or lasso the central by the horns and take it.

all in all, Dusty is scooting by with little to no wiggle room...as long as we are not 5+ games out by the break then I think our chances are good....we still play the Pirates a bunch and the remaining schedule does not look like a killer, not easy, but not killer either....beat the Pirates and Cards in our remaining matchups, which is very few with the Cards, but win them and I think we will be fine...

we have had trouble with the Pirates as of late but I think this team will buckle down and start taking offense to the fact that we are 2nd to the Pirates.....I think ego's and pride will start to take over and a nasty streak we emerge here real soon if we start to lose ground to the Pirates.....

When you lose ground to the Cards, you almost accept it....when you lose ground to the Pirates, you tip your cap and go back out the next night and force them to wave the white flag, and that attitude must start at the top with Dusty....if he cannot get those results then maybe he needs to go.....

so basically, yes he is on the warm seat.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    On the other hand, I find it entirely likely they are just fishing for readers.
    Well, it's not just "they", it's Denny Janson, which lends this a bit more credence in my book. Janson is a pro who has been around the block a number of times; maybe he knows something?

I think Dusty does not survive if this team doesn't win the division. I can't see them firing him before the end of the year, but can see his contract not being renewed.
    sorry we're boring

3-4 on the first part of a west coast trip isn't a slump, it usually has been reason to celebrate. Especially when you consider that Votto missed two games.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Maybe it has to do with the season as a whole. And maybe Walt & Bob think this team should be doing much better than they are? Hmmmm.

Here's my question for Dusty.

Reds have, generally speaking, better offensive, pitching and fielding numbers than the Pirates.

Why are the Reds not well ahead of the Bucs?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Well, it's not just "they", it's Denny Janson, which lends this a bit more credence in my book. Janson is a pro who has been around the block a number of times; maybe he knows something?

I think Dusty does not survive if this team doesn't win the division. I can't see them firing him before the end of the year, but can see his contract not being renewed.
    Exactly, framed around the extension the contract status of Dusty is iffy, in the context of the season it's not in any danger currently. There is no strife, there is no anger, there is no back n forth on items.

Everyone seems to be in it together from ownership to dugout.

Where it ends up will be based on the season's net result.

Not the last 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    3-4 on the first part of a west coast trip isn't a slump, it usually has been reason to celebrate. Especially when you consider that Votto missed two games.
    I agree. The result of this trip so far has been totally acceptable. The days of the west coast swing killing us seem to be long gone. The next four days will make or break this trip. Split or better at Petco and it is a success; anything else is a disappointment.

Yeah I don't get why people are freaking out about what's going on out West.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Here's my question for Dusty.

Reds have, generally speaking, better offensive, pitching and fielding numbers than the Pirates.

Why are the Reds not well ahead of the Bucs?
    RPI has Reds as 7th Reds as 10th

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    RPI has Reds as 7th Reds as 10th

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi
    Reds 7th in RPI, Bucs 10th, Cards 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds 7th in RPI, Bucs 10th, Cards 19th.
    Yes, that makes more sense than mine!

Turn Off Ads?