Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Billy Hamilton & OPS

Re: Billy Hamilton & OPS

I could see the Reds callup Hamilton next season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I like Hamilton. I think he's a fun story and will be fun to watch. I just dont think his running is a good reason to start him anytime soon. If he was doing the same thing with 5 CS or less, that would be different. 21 CS is a TON and negates at least most (arguably all) of the 100 bases IMO.
    What????

Hamilton CS = 16.5% for his career and 16.8% for this season.

Those numbers are better than 4 of the top 5 of the all-time stolen base leaders in the modern era:

CS %
    Rickey Henderson = 19.2%
    Lou Brock = 24.7%
    Ty Cobb = 19.1%
    Tim Raines = 15.3%
    Vince Coleman = 19.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    What????

Hamilton CS = 16.5% for his career and 16.8% for this season.

Those numbers are better than 4 of the top 5 of the all-time stolen base leaders in the modern era:

CS %
    Rickey Henderson = 19.2%
    Lou Brock = 24.7%
    Ty Cobb = 19.1%
    Tim Raines = 15.3%
    Vince Coleman = 19.0%
    I don't get his argument either. I guess he's saying that he would have likely scored the same amount of runs had he stayed put and not been caught attempting to steal as he has by stealing 104 and being caught 21 times. Perhaps the math or probabilities bear that out, but I have a hard time believing that is the case.

Personally, I think there's something to be said for a guy that can disrupt a pitcher and take his focus off a batter. Now, there's no real way to calculate that effect, but I think it is valid. I also will take a guy putting himself into scoring position 5 out of 6 times over staying on first base and waiting for something to happen. But again, I'm one of those morons who thinks there's more to the game than numbers and averages. Stealing third is a bit different. I think your percentage should be a good bit higher in attempting to steal third, especially when you have that kind of speed already.
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 07-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.

I believe the total bases plus the steals minus the caught stealing would be useful in calculating value. How you would plug that in is up to discussion but there is no doubt that stealing a base is of value to an offense and thereby should be a positive consideration.

Turn Off Ads?