Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Upton...again

Re: Justin Upton...again

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Sure Hamilton. But Hamilton and every other prospect in A+ and AA who was bonafide? Because make no mistake that's what it would take.
    Well, I think you can look at the Latos package as a bit of a map. Latos maybe not the same player value wise, but more cheap years included.

Hamilton likely has more trade value than anyone in the Padres deal. So assuming he's worth more than Grandal, you're maybe looking at adding in an Alonso and Boxberger.... I don't think we would havew to go bat crazy beyond an inclusion of Hamilton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think they get a better, bigger haul from someone else.
    I doubt it. He's slumping this year, and is about to get really expensive.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Well, I think you can look at the Latos package as a bit of a map. Latos maybe not the same player value wise, but more cheap years included.

Hamilton likely has more trade value than anyone in the Padres deal. So assuming he's worth more than Grandal, you're maybe looking at adding in an Alonso and Boxberger.... I don't think we would havew to go bat crazy beyond an inclusion of Hamilton.
    Looks about right. Hamilton plus two B prospects.

I said Stubbs + 3 prospects not named Hamilton.

To clarify, I would trade Hamilton for Upton, just not + 2 other top prospects (and Stubbs).

Apparently they want a 3B. I'd happily offer them H-Rodriguez (or Vidal or Rosa if they prefer), Hamilton, and another prospect outside the top 10. I'd prefer to include Stubbs and one of the Pensacola pitchers to Hamilton, but apparently Arizona is itching for some position player prospects, and it will likely cost us Hamilton if we want to play.

Upton is signed through 2015, which is about the time when (if) guys like Winker, Gelalich, Waldrop and/or Yorman Rodriguez should be ready.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-06-2012 at 11:41 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I still doubt the Reds will trade Hamilton. For anybody. I think they want this kid with the Reds as a base stealer and a drawing card.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I said Stubbs + 3 prospects not named Hamilton.

To clarify, I would trade Hamilton for Upton, just not + 2 other top prospects (and Stubbs).

Apparently they want a 3B. I'd happily offer them H-Rodriguez (or Vidal or Rosa if they prefer), Hamilton, and another prospect outside the top 10. I'd prefer to include Stubbs and one of the Pensacola pitchers to Hamilton, but apparently Arizona is itching for some position player prospects, and it will likely cost us Hamilton if we want to play.

Upton is signed through 2015, which is about the time when (if) guys like Winker, Gelalich, Waldrop and/or Yorman Rodriguez should be ready.
    If you read the article again they are looking for a third baseman if they KEEP Upton and improve their record between now and then. Any package of prospects if they lose and get worse and decide to deal him. So it wouldn't take a third baseman - they want one specifically if they are IN the race.

I'd love to have Upton - just not at a crazy, crazy price.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 07-06-2012 at 11:48 PM.

If you read the article again they are looking for a third baseman if they KEEP Upton and improve their record between now and then. Any package of prospects if they lose and get worse and decode to deal him. So it woudn;t take a third baseman.
    But they have pitching prospects- lots of em. They have their catcher entrenched for a while. They need infield and outfield prospects more than anything. Hamilton, H-Rod, and an B-level IF or OF makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking someone like LaMarre (if they see Hamilton as a SS) or Gregorius (if they see Hamilton as a CF).

I'd offer three packages, in the following order of my preference for dealing them:

PACKAGE A
    Drew Stubbs
    Any 3 prospects not named Hamilton

PACKAGE B
    Aroldis Chapman

PACKAGE C
    Billy Hamilton
    Henry Rodriguez
    Ryan LaMarre or DiDi Gregorius

I'd probably include Stubbs in "B" or "C" just to help balance out some future payroll.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-06-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    But they have pitching prospects- lots of em. They have their catcher entrenched for a while. They need infield and outfield prospects more than anything. Hamilton, H-Rod, and an B-level IF or OF makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking someone like LaMarre (if they see Hamilton as a SS) or Gregorius (if they see Hamilton as a CF).

I'd offer three packages, in the following order of my preference for dealing them:

PACKAGE A
    Drew Stubbs
    Any 3 prospects not named Hamilton

PACKAGE B
    Aroldis Chapman

PACKAGE C
    Billy Hamilton
    Henry Rodriguez
    Ryan LaMarre or DiDi Gregorius

I'd probably include Stubbs in "B" or "C" just to help balance out some future payroll.
    Give me A all day long please.

I would pay almost anything it takes to get Justin Upton. He is an elite young player, probably even better than Jay Bruce and is a year younger than Bruce.

The Diamondbacks are loaded with young pitchers, so they are going to want stud hitters for Upton. I don't think the Reds have what the Diamondbacks need. The Reds' package would have to include Hamilton and Frazier and likely Henry Rodriguez too. I would pull the trigger on that for sure.

Players like Justin Upton don't come around often so if you have the chance to get him you do whatever it takes.

Was thinking today when a player like this would become available due to conflict where they are. This would be an awesome pick up. Hamilton would definitely have to be in the deal, and AZ would have to actually like him enough. AZ would also need to take on some of our possible arb cases for next year like Bray, Bailey, Leake, or Stubbs so the money works better. Upton's money might keep Chapman in the pen considering the money to get another closer. It would be a tight fit financially.

Hard to know for sure about this, but I doubt the Reds can afford his salary the next three years.

With Votto/Bruce/Phillips/Cueto locked up the next few years, and Latos about to get expensive, I doubt the Reds can afford anybody with a big contract.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It would be like acquiring another Jay Bruce, with possibly even more upside. I haven't once heard you suggest we trade Bruce, so I would imagine you would be fine giving this guy a whirl. He was worth 6.6 WAR as a 23 year old. If you aren't willing to give up prospects for him, I'm not sure if there is much sense in anything else.

I wouldn't think twice about including Hamilton in a deal for Upton.
    He's not a CF, so has less value to us, unless you trade Bruce for him.

He's nice player, but Stubbs, Hamilton, Corcinco and others for him? I'd give up prospects, but not our 4 best, and have to put Heusey in CF full time.

I remember others wanted to dump Votto with Bailey in a trade for Blaton.

Chapman, Stubbs, and Gregorius would get it done. Add Bill Bray to balance salaries. (Or, even better, Nick Masset as a PTBNL.) Play Jay Bruce in CF and take the defensive hit. Play Heisey late innings as a defensive replacement. Hoover moves to the majors, as does Donnie Joseph.

Phillips 2B
    Upton RF
    Votto 1B
    Ludwick LF
    Bruce CF
    Frazier 3B
    Cozart SS
    Mesigan C

Rolen plays 3B a couple times a week, with Frazier roving to 1B as needed.

Like that. A lot.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

What does that have to do with any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    First off, that's incorrect (Bedard maybe, not Blanton).

Secondly, even if there were truth to it, what does it have to do with anything?

I remember others wouldn't trade Pokey Reese for Ken Griffey Jr.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?