Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Justin Upton...again

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Who's the second team besides Pittsburgh?
    All I meant was the two teams involved in the rumor -- Arizona & Pitt
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Justin Upton...again

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    All I meant was the two teams involved in the rumor -- Arizona & Pitt
    Oh OK. Thanks for the clarification.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The four teams on Upton's no-trade clause are the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Indians according to Rosenthal.

The Reds can probably take on at least $3MM in payroll this year due to increased attendance according to Fay. Upton's prorated payroll impact for this year would be $2MM.*

Make it happen Walt.

* I know he makes $9.5 next year and $14M in 2014, but we can worry about that later.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    * I know he makes $9.5 next year and $14M in 2014, but we can worry about that later.
    The only big salary coming off the books is Rolen. The only big arb cases are Bailey and Latos, who will likely eat up the Rolen savings. The only way I can see to make room would be to trade Arroyo -- which if he keeps up the way he's been pitching, should be doable. That would also make room for Chapman in the rotation. How convenient.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Upton is a real upgrade in LF. Ludwick's OBP against righties the last two years is below .300. Ludwick has good power, but he's not in Upton's class.

I'd make this proposed deal. Ludwick then could be packaged in a deal to help cover SS and/or 3B along with Rolen, Valdez, possibly Janish, H Rod, whatever.

Would require more moves, would change the team a bit, but the offense needs the change.
    I just don't see how any GM can turn over LF, SS, and 3b between now and the trading deadline and end up with good players in all 3 positions.
    Cozart is actually a good SS (especially compared to what we've had in the past).. Likewise, the supply of good 3b is pretty scarce.

I still think the dropoff at SS/3b would more than overshadow the gain of Upton over Ludwick. I agree that Upton is a better player.. however, I don't think it makes sense to trade any of the Reds starting position players for him, other than maybe one of Stubbs/Heisey..
    IMO, Cozart is one of the reasons the team is doing better this year.. He's light years better than Janish/Returia was last year. Sure, I'd like his OBP to be better, but he's still on pace to score about 90 runs this year.. that's not horrible from a leadoff man. (Sure, it could be better)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The only big salary coming off the books is Rolen. The only big arb cases are Bailey and Latos, who will likely eat up the Rolen savings. The only way I can see to make room would be to trade Arroyo -- which if he keeps up the way he's been pitching, should be doable. That would also make room for Chapman in the rotation. How convenient.
    How much of the ~$24M do you think the Reds would need to eat to trade away Arroyo? Even if it's "only" half of that, what team would be willing to give the Reds $12M plus prospects (presumably) for less than a year-and-a-half of Arroyo?

I think Boston might, assuming they go for it this year. (Doubtful as it may seem at this point.) Others who might be interested include Toronto, Baltimore, LA Angels, and maybe Detroit.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I thought Boston had luxury tax problems with their payroll?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Having Rolen fade into the sunset only causes $6.5m to evaporate. The Reds hopefully will make a deep run in the playoffs and bank a big profit windfall that will give them more payroll flexibility going into the offseason.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If we were going to trade top prospects in an Upton trade, I'd try to include either Stubbs or Masset to help offset some of the salary going forward. Also a good point that Upton would only cost an incremental 4mm over what Ludwick would cost next year.
    Go BLUE!!!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-rare-company/
    It's an article that explains how rare it is for players like Upton to be traded.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've been on the fence about this deal, and after thinking about it I'd be willing to include Hamilton in a deal. I'd like to see something like:

Stubbs/Hamilton/Sulbaren for Upton but would be willing to substitute Cingrani or Corcino if they would give us a lottery ticket LH pitcher in return.

As far as the every day lineup goes:

2b Phillips
    3b Frazier
    1b Votto
    RF Upton
    CF Bruce
    LF Ludwick
    C Mesigan
    SS Cozart
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-rare-company/
    It's an article that explains how rare it is for players like Upton to be traded.
    The biggest thing I got from that article is: Justin Upton is only 24??

Wow, I haven't been high on him, but that may have swayed me quite a bit. It just feels like he's been around a long time.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    The biggest thing I got from that article is: Justin Upton is only 24??

Wow, I haven't been high on him, but that may have swayed me quite a bit. It just feels like he's been around a long time.
    He has. He got called up when he was 19.

Madson comes off the books too.

Turn Off Ads?