Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Upton...again

Re: Justin Upton...again

The more I think about it, I don't think it makes much sense for the Reds to do this. We just gutted our system for Latos last year, do we really want to do it again? I'm not sure a team in our position can afford to rid ourselves of more depth. I certainly don't want to rid ourselves of the prospects necessary to acquire him. Just because he's a big name and an impact talent doesn't mean it makes all that much sense. We've got our superstar in Votto. And great pitching. In reality, we should be more focused on finding pieces to the puzzle to put around the edges, not the big piece in the middle.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm probably in the minority, however I don't have much interest in Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, however I don't have much interest in Upton.
    I agree, edabbs44. While I agree that the two Upton brothers have unbelievable potential, they seem to find ways to disappoint when looking back on the season. That, plus the amount that it would take to acquire Justin Upton, makes him a non-target for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Let's just wait until next year and grab BJ Uptom for LF.

I'd be all over Justin Upton.

He'd be like putting a right handed version of Bruce with better on base skills in left field. Upton and Bruce have similar sized platoon splits but whereas Bruce's platoon weakness reduces him to a slightly below average hitter against same-handed pitchers, Upton's is such that he is still significantly above average against same-handed hitters.

Bruce is a slightly better defender for his career (that's why I'd put Upton in left) but Upton has been a significantly better hitter. If Walt could get a corner outfielder who is better than Bruce in a trade, he probably should do it (with the usual caveats of course).

Adding either Willingham or Justin Upton to the Reds lineup would be a dream come true.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I agree, edabbs44. While I agree that the two Upton brothers have unbelievable potential, they seem to find ways to disappoint when looking back on the season. That, plus the amount that it would take to acquire Justin Upton, makes him a non-target for me.
    I'm with you two. He just isn't the impact hitter I would like to see. And I wouldn't give up the farm for a .270-ish hitter who happens to get on base at a pretty good clip. I hope there are better options.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The more I think about it, I don't think it makes much sense for the Reds to do this. We just gutted our system for Latos last year, do we really want to do it again? I'm not sure a team in our position can afford to rid ourselves of more depth. I certainly don't want to rid ourselves of the prospects necessary to acquire him. Just because he's a big name and an impact talent doesn't mean it makes all that much sense. We've got our superstar in Votto. And great pitching. In reality, we should be more focused on finding pieces to the puzzle to put around the edges, not the big piece in the middle.
    I think Upton is potentially THE piece that completes a huge part of this puzzle. There is a reason that the Cards ponied up and brought in Holliday to replace Rolen when he was ineffective -- they needed someone to strike fear in pitchers after Pujols. The Reds now have their own Pujols in Votto, but they haven't been able to find their Rolen/Holliday (except for when they actually had that same Rolen for the first half of 2010). People talk about having no OBP types at the top of the order, but honestly a lot of those types of problems become diminished when you've got the type of 3/4 combo that Votto/Upton would provide. Add in Bruce and his potential for greatness, and you've got a 3/4/5 that no team is going to want to face, ever. Acquire an aging Juan Pierre and slot in BP at #2 and suddenly this is a dominant O to match a dominant staff. Hello, October baseball.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't see a potential cleanup hitter in the Reds farm system, therefore they need to acquire one......Upton, Willingham, etc.

I do see a potential leadoff hitter down the road in the farm system in Hamilton. So aquiring a rental for leadoff makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't see a potential cleanup hitter in the Reds farm system, therefore they need to acquire one......Upton, Willingham, etc.

I do see a potential leadoff hitter down the road in the farm system in Hamilton. So aquiring a rental for leadoff makes sense.
    The problem, though, is that said leadoff hitter is probably the main trading chip the Reds have for acquiring said players...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I think we will see a bench player that hits left handed added this month. Maybe a reliever too, but that is about it. We will have to wait to acquire a cleanup bat. And we will be forced to go with either the lead off rental we get(if it happens and we control him) or the same top of the order we have this year.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    I think we will see a bench player that hits left handed added this month. Maybe a reliever too, but that is about it. We will have to wait to acquire a cleanup bat. And we will be forced to go with either the lead off rental we get(if it happens and we control him) or the same top of the order we have this year.
    ......and if no leadoff hitter and cleanup hitter are acquired, and the Reds offense continues to struggle because of it and they fall out of the race, we may be looking at a new manager who is willing to tinker with the lineup more.

Upton OPS - .735
    Ludwick OPS - .780
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    ......and if no leadoff hitter and cleanup hitter are acquired, and the Reds offense continues to struggle because of it and they fall out of the race, we may be looking at a new manager who is willing to tinker with the lineup more.
    I wouldn't mind if Dusty were replaced, but I'll defend him a bit here. Short of trying Hanigan higher in the order, maybe putting Bruce at cleanup, there's not much I can think of that he could do with this group to make them better. He's basically got a team with Super Votto and a lot of hitters with good tools but bad plate discipline problems. He can only do so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Upton OPS - .735
    Ludwick OPS - .780
    Upton, 24 with a career OPS of .838
    Ludwick, 33 with a career OPS of .787

Also worth mentioning that Upton has had a thumb injury this year that has been holding him back. All signs point to a bounceback second half for him IMO.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Upton OPS - .735
    Ludwick OPS - .780
    This season.

I think the real and only question is, is there a real problem with his shoulder and is that the reason his power is down? If his shoulder is healthy, you buy and you will not have buyers remorse.

From 2009-2011 Upton, at ages 21-23 in the Major Leagues, hit .288/.364/.503. If he is healthy, you trade what you can for him.

Turn Off Ads?