Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Justin Upton...again

Re: Justin Upton...again

Upton and Ellbury, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Imagine a scenario where the Reds FO was blabbing about selling off Bruce last season because he was struggling for a stretch and the team was down from the year before. Seems hard to imagine, really. I think Upton will breathe a sigh of relief wherever he goes next. The Dbacks are kind of full of themselves it appears. Every 6 months they're trying to offload one of the premier under 25 players because he's not Joey Votto or something.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think Todd Fraziers are much easier to find than are Justin Uptons. I include Frazier in the deal and don't look back.
    I'm reluctant to trade anyone that's OPSing north of .900, rookie status and minor league track record not withstanding.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'm reluctant to trade anyone that's OPSing north of .900, rookie status and minor league track record not withstanding.
    Not me. Sell high.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Not me. Sell high.
    x2

I can't imagine what a thread or poll would have looked like two months ago if you suggested Todd Frazier as the centerpiece for a Justin Upton trade.

Now people are hesitating at the thought?

I like what Todd has brought the last two months. However it is unlikely he will ever provide plus defense or maintain an OPS north of .850 or even .825 for that matter. Justin Upton is one of the best players in the game under the age of 25. He is two years younger than Frazier and has performed better in the majors over the last four years than Frazier has in the minors. He would be a plus defender in LF and he is under contract for 3 more years.

Most people on this board saw Frazier as a utility guy as recently as two months ago. Buy low and sell high, and I couldn't think of a better opportunity to do that if a deal like this is possible.

And I like Frazier.
    Go BLUE!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I wonder if playing with Votto would increase Upton's drive to be better? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Not me

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, who is included in the 10.6?
    Wladimir Balentien
    Willie Bloomquist
    Wilkin Castillo
    Jim Edmonds
    Ramon Hernandez
    J.J. Hoover
    Mat Latos
    Justin Lehr
    Sean Marshall
    Nick Masset
    Corky Miller
    Kris Negron
    Micah Owings
    Danny Richar
    Scott Rolen
    Drew Sutton
    Wilson Valdez

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Were I Arizona, I'd ask for Cozart and Frazier, on top of Corcino/ Cingrani and Joseph/ Hoover.

Were I the Reds, I'd probably be tempted to say yes to that, though it'd hurt. A bunch.

p.
    I just don't think that would be worth it for the Reds.. LF would be upgraded, but it blows a huge hole at 3b and SS (I am going to assume Rolen isn't going to get much healthlier this year)..

The Reds are kind of thin on ML quality position players now.. if they are going to upgrade an OF slot, I think it has to be by dealing prospects, not current starters (other than the OFer getting upgraded).

Edit, I realize Frasier is not a superstar.. but if he's traded, are you prepared to have Cairo and an ailing Rolen man 3b the rest of the year? It's a pretty big dropoff. The dropoff at SS would be even worse.
    I don't think Upton is a big enough improvement over Ludwick to lose our SS and 3b (even though they aren't exactly stars)
    Last edited by REDREAD; 07-12-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I just don't think that would be worth it for the Reds.. LF would be upgraded, but it blows a huge hole at 3b and SS (I am going to assume Rolen isn't going to get much healthlier this year)..

The Reds are kind of thin on ML quality position players now.. if they are going to upgrade an OF slot, I think it has to be by dealing prospects, not current starters (other than the OFer getting upgraded).

Edit, I realize Frasier is not a superstar.. but if he's traded, are you prepared to have Cairo and an ailing Rolen man 3b the rest of the year? It's a pretty big dropoff. The dropoff at SS would be even worse.
    I don't think Upton is a big enough improvement over Ludwick to lose our SS and 3b (even though they aren't exactly stars)
    Upton is a real upgrade in LF. Ludwick's OBP against righties the last two years is below .300. Ludwick has good power, but he's not in Upton's class.

I'd make this proposed deal. Ludwick then could be packaged in a deal to help cover SS and/or 3B along with Rolen, Valdez, possibly Janish, H Rod, whatever.

Would require more moves, would change the team a bit, but the offense needs the change.

Conflicting reports on how likely Upton to the Pirates is right now -- but the two teams seem to be actively engaged in talks as I write this:

Jayson Stark:

#Pirates‬ so serious about Justin Upton they're sending signals they could include Starling Marte in an Upton deal -- but not Cole or Taillon
    Jon Heyman:

hearing theres "nothing serious'' w/ j. upton yet, & ‪#pirates‬ "probably not a fit.'' wont include taillon or cole. ‪#dbacks
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Conflicting reports on how likely Upton to the Pirates is right now -- but the two teams seem to be actively engaged in talks as I write this:

Jayson Stark:

Jon Heyman:
    Who's the second team besides Pittsburgh?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Jayson Stark:

Jon Heyman:
    I'll always bet on Stark getting the scoop on Heyman.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Who's the second team besides Pittsburgh?
    The Rangers?
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    The Rangers?
    Is that a question or an answer? lol
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?