Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 180

Thread: Justin Upton...again

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,739

    Justin Upton...again

    Here we go again.

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...tin-upton.html

    I'd back up the truck.

    Drew Stubbs + any three guys in the system they want, ex-Billy Hamilton.

    Or Chapman straight up.
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,341

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Here we go again.

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...tin-upton.html

    I'd back up the truck.

    Drew Stubbs + any three guys in the system they want, ex-Billy Hamilton.

    Or Chapman straight up.
    To get Justin Upton, we'd have to include Hamilton. Or Chapman and others. There's no way they trade him for anything short of an absolute haul. I'd consider making the move. But it'd be a fortune to give up, and we shouldn't expect anything less.

  4. #3
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,616

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    I saw on the MLB board guys talking crazy stuff. Stubbs, Cingrani, Hamilton, Lotzkar, Corcino and Frazier. No thanks. If that's the haul he can stay a Diamondback or let a rival gut their system. Upton's good but baseball takes a whole team - as we're seeing this year with the game's best hitter and a couple of it's best starters and still scuffling.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,523

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    .831 lifetime OPS and it's not trading upwards my any means.

    Sell the farm if you want, but selling everyone for someone who's expensive and not that great makes no sense.

  6. #5
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,341

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    .831 lifetime OPS and it's not trading upwards my any means.

    Sell the farm if you want, but selling everyone for someone who's expensive and not that great makes no sense.
    Fair to say he's had his struggles this year, but the guy is only 24 years old, so I'm not sure it's fair to say he's trending down.

    That being said, it's probably not worth gutting our system just to get a guy to put in between Votto and Bruce. Although the thought of it is nice.

  7. #6
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,134

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    My man-crush on Billy Hamilton would prevent me from going there, but a non-Hamilton trade for Upton would make me feel all giddy inside.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  8. #7
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,693

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    Stubbs, Hamilton, Corcino and Hoover. I'm in.

    Huge improvement to the big league team.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  9. #8
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,616

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Stubbs, Hamilton, Corcino and Hoover. I'm in.

    Huge improvement to the big league team.
    I think they get a better, bigger haul from someone else.

  10. #9
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,823

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    .831 lifetime OPS and it's not trading upwards my any means.

    Sell the farm if you want, but selling everyone for someone who's expensive and not that great makes no sense.
    It would be like acquiring another Jay Bruce, with possibly even more upside. I haven't once heard you suggest we trade Bruce, so I would imagine you would be fine giving this guy a whirl. He was worth 6.6 WAR as a 23 year old. If you aren't willing to give up prospects for him, I'm not sure if there is much sense in anything else.

    I wouldn't think twice about including Hamilton in a deal for Upton.

  11. #10
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,214
    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My man-crush on Billy Hamilton would prevent me from going there, but a non-Hamilton trade for Upton would make me feel all giddy inside.
    I'm willing to adopt Billy, I'm hoping for the impact of Bipp Roberts to the power of ten

  12. #11
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,693

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think they get a better, bigger haul from someone else.
    Probably. The Reds don't have major league ready guys to deal.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. #12
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,134

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm willing to adopt Billy, I'm hoping for the impact of Bipp Roberts to the power of ten
    Bip Roberts was one of 5 leadoff hitters on my 1990 Strat team. He hit 3rd (behind Alex Cole and Brett Butler). Platooned him with Sabo.

    I loved me some Bip Roberts.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  14. #13
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,616

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It would be like acquiring another Jay Bruce, with possibly even more upside. I haven't once heard you suggest we trade Bruce, so I would imagine you would be fine giving this guy a whirl. He was worth 6.6 WAR as a 23 year old. If you aren't willing to give up prospects for him, I'm not sure if there is much sense in anything else.

    I wouldn't think twice about including Hamilton in a deal for Upton.
    Sure Hamilton. But Hamilton and every other prospect in A+ and AA who was bonafide? Because make no mistake that's what it would take.

  15. #14
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,520

    Re: Justin Upton...again

    Billy Hamilton as a SS? I'm keeping him.

    Billy Hamilton as a CF? I'm including him in a trade for Upton.
    Sabermetrics can be boiled down to this simple truism: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

  16. #15
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,214
    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bip Roberts was one of 5 leadoff hitters on my 1990 Strat team. He hit 3rd (behind Alex Cole and Brett Butler). Platooned him with Sabo.

    I loved me some Bip Roberts.
    I know, I know... Someday I'm flying out there and we are going to play with dice and you will teach me some stuff


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25