Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Upton...again

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Justin Upton...again

I'd love to see them trade Heisey, Stubbs, Cingrani or Corcino, Rodriguez, Gregorious for Upton and Adam Eaton. They could see how Eaton fares hitting in a non-california league and groom him as the future CFer if they don't keep Pierre (after obtaining him).

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've been cautious the last couple of years about advocating the Reds backing up the truck and sending half the farm elsewhere for a rental or just one guy. It's mainly been because I haven't felt that just one piece could really make that much difference in this team's fortunes in making the playoff or advancing if they got there.

This year is different. I believe adding just one of a legit leadoff hitter, cleanup batter or TOR starter (even a rental) could significantly improve this teams postseson outlook. Any two, IMO, could make them strong contenders for a NL Pennant, if not the World Series itself.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Upton being only 24 and signed through 2015 intrigues me. It took this thread to reveal that info to me. Makes me want him more, even though his numbers are drastically down this season. I think hitting between Votto and Bruce, and playing for a winner would get him going. Atleast I hope. He's a former MVP candidate, I believe.

I'd be wary of Upton.

He's slumping and makes a ton of money through 2015. There really is no good reason for Arizona to be shopping him, unless they are worried about him. They might know why he's slumping and see it as a long term problem.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I think Upton would be the solution to LF and keep Stubbs the rest of the year and move him to 7th.

Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Upton
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Stubbs
    C

That way all the worry about CF goes away and we carry a defensive minded CF for what it's worth.

Upton would lock up this lineup for 3 more years, pretty amazing. The minors would just be for injury security and a few bench players that would have to rake to get in the lineup. 3 base would be about the only place to supplant a regular, perhaps SS if Cozart were to tank, but I think the Reds like his plate profile for a SS.

The point being, send whoever you got in the minors, you likely won't need them. Perhaps save Corcino if you wish to save money on Leake or Bailey.

Then by 2014-15-16 you've got countless other draft picks including this year's decent batch. We'd be set. I'd really hope Walt considers this with all he's got. Upton's salary will cause some chaffing with arb eligibles, but the reward would be worth it, I think. And payroll could sit around 100-115 million pretty easily if the Reds are contending every year.

Heck, if Mez works out as a slugger we could see

BP
    Upton
    Votto
    Mez
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Stubbs
    Cozart
    P

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I reread a few of the Blanton threads and there actually were several posters (some current, some former) in favor of including Votto + others in a trade for Blanton (most were against including Votto, though). I don't know if others necessarily included Bailey. That being said, I agree with you that I don't see what that has to do with this thread.
    It's relevant as to the theory of trading prospects for sure things.

At the time many were advocating trading Votto for an established average pitcher, many thought we had first base covered with Dunn down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

At the time many were advocating trading Votto for an established average pitcher, many thought we had first base covered with Dunn down the road.
    So don't ever trade prospects for proven players. Good strategy
    Go BLUE!!!

If the Reds were to go heavy after someone I would almost prefer them to go after Jacoby Ellsbury.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...victorino.html
    The Red Sox face ongoing luxury tax concerns and are over the threshold by $10MM, according to a source. That could make holding on to Jacoby Ellsbury difficult after 2013 and trading him might make sense at the end of this season. Unfortunately, the free agent market will be flooded with outfielders including Josh Hamilton, Michael Bourn, B.J. Upton, and Shane Victorino. That will obviously hurt the market for the 28-year-old.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Keep in mind that at the time nobody thought a kid named Joey Votto was going to be a future MVP. He was a good prospect but not a great prospect at the time. It took him quite a while to make it to the major leagues. He was a bit of a late bloomer and developed much further than anybody ever thought he would. His case is certainly a great example of what you are risking when you trade a prospect, but we also have to understand that very, very few prospects (even top prospects) turn out to be as good as Joey Votto.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Keep in mind that at the time nobody thought a kid named Joey Votto was going to be a future MVP. He was a good prospect but not a great prospect at the time. It took him quite a while to make it to the major leagues. He was a bit of a late bloomer and developed much further than anybody ever thought he would. His case is certainly a great example of what you are risking when you trade a prospect, but we also have to understand that very, very few prospects (even top prospects) turn out to be as good as Joey Votto.
    IIRC, at the time posters were talking about trading Votto he had already played the end of the year for the Reds. So, it would have been at the start of the 2008 season.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    And it is common for people to use that description about prospects? Votto was a very highly regarded prospect by a clear consensus and was clearly expected to be a middle of the order force. The only real debate about him was whether to hand him the job on Opening Day after his cup of coffee September callup stint.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Pirates have had preliminary trade discussions with the Diamondbacks involving Justin Upton and with the Padres involving Carlos Quentin.

Morosi says Arizona and San Diego have been scouting Pittsburgh’s minor-league affiliates in recent days. Upton is having a disappointing year, batting just .267/.349/.386 for the D'Backs, but he would be a huge addition to a Pirates lineup that's very much in need of one despite a recent offensive surge. He would cost much more in prospects than Quentin, who has batted .273/.403/.527 with seven homers in 32 games since coming back from the disabled list
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Pirates have had preliminary trade discussions with the Diamondbacks involving Justin Upton and with the Padres involving Carlos Quentin.

Morosi says Arizona and San Diego have been scouting Pittsburgh’s minor-league affiliates in recent days. Upton is having a disappointing year, batting just .267/.349/.386 for the D'Backs, but he would be a huge addition to a Pirates lineup that's very much in need of one despite a recent offensive surge. He would cost much more in prospects than Quentin, who has batted .273/.403/.527 with seven homers in 32 games since coming back from the disabled list
    Upton and McCutchen would make one hell of an OF

Arizona would probably ask for Marte and Alvarez to start assuming Tallion and Cole are off limits.

I really hope the Reds get involved in this one.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?