Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friday 7/06/2012 Minor-League Updates

Re: Friday 7/06/2012 Minor-League Updates

In the stands tonight there had to be 15+ scouts which is very high but not abnormal with the trading deadline coming up. It crazy that they can give out 15 free seats. One scout sat in front of me and the only four players he was charting/scoring in the game was Jared Mitchell, Didi Gregorous, Ryan Lamarre, and Bryson Smith.

Everybody is on Billy Hamilton watch lol
    Last edited by 19braves77; 07-07-2012 at 01:22 AM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I love that Billings is good, but that team seems old. 19-20 has always been about where you want to be while in Rookie Ball, with age 20-21 season in low A, 21-22 in High A, and so on.

If that's still the case (and I don't see why it shouldn't be), only Stephenson, Winker, and perhaps Sal Romano and Dan Langfield are anywhere near age-appropriate and hitting/ pitching at prospect levels. Add Rahier, Washington, and maybe Avain Rachal and Ronald Bueno to that group from the AZL. Other than that, it seems as if the Reds have been really conservative as to finding spots to challenge prospects.

It seems systemic too.

From Dayton, only Yorman Rodriguez, Kyle Waldrop, and Juan Perez look like they may be true prospects. In Bakersfield, there are a few more: Tucker Barnhart, Theo Bowe (maybe), Billy Hamilton, with Chad Rogers as an outside shot. But that's it.

In AA Pensacola, Gregorius and Vidal are okay to middling prospects and age-appropriate, but all four pitchers-- Corcino, Cingrani, Lotzkar, and Sulburan-- look promising. In AAA, finally, Neftali Soto and Henry Rodriguez are below age-appropriate levels, with Donnie Joseph and JJ Hoover ready in the pen.

In past season, IIRC, it seemed as if Red prospects were moved much more aggressively. This year, it seems as if that's less the rule and more the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I love that Billings is good, but that team seems old. 19-20 has always been about where you want to be while in Rookie Ball, with age 20-21 season in low A, 21-22 in High A, and so on.

If that's still the case (and I don't see why it shouldn't be), only Stephenson, Winker, and perhaps Sal Romano and Dan Langfield are anywhere near age-appropriate and hitting/ pitching at prospect levels. Add Rahier, Washington, and maybe Avain Rachal and Ronald Bueno to that group from the AZL. Other than that, it seems as if the Reds have been really conservative as to finding spots to challenge prospects.

It seems systemic too.

From Dayton, only Yorman Rodriguez, Kyle Waldrop, and Juan Perez look like they may be true prospects. In Bakersfield, there are a few more: Tucker Barnhart, Theo Bowe (maybe), Billy Hamilton, with Chad Rogers as an outside shot. But that's it.

In AA Pensacola, Gregorius and Vidal are okay to middling prospects and age-appropriate, but all four pitchers-- Corcino, Cingrani, Lotzkar, and Sulburan-- look promising. In AAA, finally, Neftali Soto and Henry Rodriguez are below age-appropriate levels, with Donnie Joseph and JJ Hoover ready in the pen.

In past season, IIRC, it seemed as if Red prospects were moved much more aggressively. This year, it seems as if that's less the rule and more the exception.
    All the relevant prospects are being challenged IMO. There's always going to be older guys at every level just because you can't fill out a minor league system with budding young stars. Doesn't mean we're being conservative.

Putting college players at Billings instead of Dayton screams of being conservative, especially when that would put them behind the eight ball, so to speak, when it comes to age appropriate prospectdom.

A Gelalich-- first-round-supplimental pick, remember-- would look much better in low A for the rest of the season even if he's struggling a bit than in Billings, where he might dominate. Same with Amaral.

Both are high Division I players.

They should be playing in Dayton.

Putting college players at Billings instead of Dayton screams of being conservative, especially when that would put them behind the eight ball, so to speak, when it comes to age appropriate prospectdom.

A Gelalich-- first-round-supplimental pick, remember-- would look much better in low A for the rest of the season even if he's struggling a bit than in Billings, where he might dominate. Same with Amaral.

Both are high Division I players.

They should be playing in Dayton.
    Agreed. While its very hard for me (or anyone) to be overly critical of this scouting and development staff because they have been spectacular the last 5-7 years, it's really puzzling why guys like Gelalich and Langfield at least aren't starting in Dayton. Big time college players drafted in the first couple rounds belong there.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    In the stands tonight there had to be 15+ scouts which is very high but not abnormal with the trading deadline coming up. It crazy that they can give out 15 free seats. One scout sat in front of me and the only four players he was charting/scoring in the game was Jared Mitchell, Didi Gregorous, Ryan Lamarre, and Bryson Smith.

Everybody is on Billy Hamilton watch lol
    Good. Gregorius, LaMarre and Smith are three guys I'd love to deal for big league help.
    Go BLUE!!!

there's something about this recent little flurry by Yorman that strikes me as maybe some kind of turnaround. Tonight, he's 2-3 with a HR. We'll see.
    Ever since I saw him hit the monster HR to CF in Dayton a couple weeks ago, I've been watching the Dragons quite a bit. Saw the game last night (Friday), and the HR he hit to left was again HIGH mileage. Crushed. His other ABs were solid. The bunt single looked smooth, and he laid off plenty of breaking balls away. He nearly beat out a high hopper to 2nd. So, he's showing good concentration pitch to pitch, and he's playing hard. I like what I see. He does look a bit uncertain on his routes -- I don't think he's a confident outfielder, but he's got the tools to be OK out there, and I expect him to improve over time. What's exciting is the potential in his bat -- it's got serious lightning.

I was as skeptical about Yorman as anyone prior to this stint in Dayton. But you have to go on what's in front of you, and right now I'd say he's shot himself right back into an organizational top 5-10. The question, as always, will be consistency.

It seems systemic too.

I'd add Donald Lutz to that Bakersfield list, for one.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Ever since I saw him hit the monster HR to CF in Dayton a couple weeks ago, I've been watching the Dragons quite a bit. Saw the game last night (Friday), and the HR he hit to left was again HIGH mileage. Crushed. His other ABs were solid. The bunt single looked smooth, and he laid off plenty of breaking balls away. He nearly beat out a high hopper to 2nd. So, he's showing good concentration pitch to pitch, and he's playing hard. I like what I see. He does look a bit uncertain on his routes -- I don't think he's a confident outfielder, but he's got the tools to be OK out there, and I expect him to improve over time. What's exciting is the potential in his bat -- it's got serious lightning.

I was as skeptical about Yorman as anyone prior to this stint in Dayton. But you have to go on what's in front of you, and right now I'd say he's shot himself right back into an organizational top 5-10. The question, as always, will be consistency.
    Yorman's progress has been very frustratng at times and it's easy to forget how young he is since he's been around several year's, but there's so much raw talent there's always the chance that he turns it around.

Turn Off Ads?