Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton being sent to AA

Re: Hamilton being sent to AA

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Sign me up, that looks delicious. Where do we get a Capable CF Leadoff hitter though? (C'mon Billy Hamilton!)

GL
    Shane Victorino, Dexter Fowler, David Dejesus, Denard Span, Ben Revere, etc.

There is a good market for High OBP CF on team that will be seller's at the deadline, it's all about what Walt wants to spend to get them.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Shane Victorino, Dexter Fowler, David Dejesus, Denard Span, Ben Revere, etc.

There is a good market for High OBP CF on team that will be seller's at the deadline, it's all about what Walt wants to spend to get them.
    Is DeJesus a CF option?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Is DeJesus a CF option?
    He's played 15 games there this year, and 42 over the past 3 years. While I'm sure his defense is below average in CF, he's at least been there. 07 was the last time he spent a full season there. We've been spoiled by great defense at every spot over the last few years (if you put Heisey in Left), which is why Fowler, Victorino, Span, and Revere may all be better choices. But if you want a table setter for Votto, I would take his below average defense in small GABP to get more RBI's for Votto.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Getting ahead, let's say Hamilton maintains his pace in AA the rest of the year. There has to be a chance he'd start 2013 in AAA right? Realistically, he could be a May/June callup next year to avoid super 2 and all that. It's realistic, but perhaps just best case scenario, which isn't always going to happen. If the Reds decided he was going to play CF and leadoff, assuming Billy continues to progress, how could they not see him as at least a wash over the .550 or whatever OPS from leadoff this year? Trade Stubbs for payflex, insert Heisey full time CF, then callup Billy if he's going Jay Bruce on AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Getting ahead, let's say Hamilton maintains his pace in AA the rest of the year. There has to be a chance he'd start 2013 in AAA right? Realistically, he could be a May/June callup next year to avoid super 2 and all that. It's realistic, but perhaps just best case scenario, which isn't always going to happen. If the Reds decided he was going to play CF and leadoff, assuming Billy continues to progress, how could they not see him as at least a wash over the .550 or whatever OPS from leadoff this year? Trade Stubbs for payflex, insert Heisey full time CF, then callup Billy if he's going Jay Bruce on AAA.
    If Billy joins the Wahoos and seamlessly continues to hit as he has at bakersfield, I'd say the Reds might give him an opportunity out of Spring training as a SS (he would need at least a AAA season at CF to be ready). I think that;s probably moot though because I expect at least an initial adjustment period in AA.

He would have the offseason to continue working on his game defensively, and it would have to be significant progress for the Reds to consider him MLB ready at short. They could also go the other route and switch him to CF in the offseason and I'd say he'd be passable out there before the whole 2013 year passed by and quite likely by May or June. Again, this all depends on the hitting being ready. I just think if the trade deadline comes and goes with lots of interest for Hamilton but the Reds keep him, that could precipitate some other moves around the roster that involve money and whether or not Stubbs, Heisey, Cozart, Janish, or Gregorius are with the team. Hamilton has a lot of gravity right now with the potential to add mass.

Hamilton has a track record of struggling in his initial foray up a league. It may take him the rest of the year to find sustained success in AA.

More likely than dominating AA and AAA for a June move to the top of the Red batting order and hearts of Reds' fans everywhere is a half season at AA this year and another half season next, maybe the entire season. Then a year in Louisville.

I'd say he begins his time with Cincinnati in September of 2014.

I tend to agree the wait will be longer, but I just thought I'd introduce the possibility that it could go faster. We've seen the payoff on waiting (Votto, Alonso, Frazier) vs rushing (Bailey, Bruce). But you could argue it's all gone as well as it could have with Bailey, Bruce, Stubbs, and even Cueto. The general tag line with "rushed" prospects is that they had nothing left to learn at their level, which I often find hard to believe. In Bruce and Bailey's cases, clearly they did have things they could have learned. The question becomes can they help the Reds while learning the hard way? It also becomes a question of ticket sales. In this way, I think the baton of hyped-and-less-than-ready-prospects-that-can-help-the-Reds-win-games-AND-sell-tickets could be passed from Bailey to Bruce to Hamilton. I bet Hamilton's first game would see some nice attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I tend to agree the wait will be longer, but I just thought I'd introduce the possibility that it could go faster. We've seen the payoff on waiting (Votto, Alonso, Frazier) vs rushing (Bailey, Bruce). But you could argue it's all gone as well as it could have with Bailey, Bruce, Stubbs, and even Cueto. The general tag line with "rushed" prospects is that they had nothing left to learn at their level, which I often find hard to believe. In Bruce and Bailey's cases, clearly they did have things they could have learned. The question becomes can they help the Reds while learning the hard way? It also becomes a question of ticket sales. In this way, I think the baton of hyped-and-less-than-ready-prospects-that-can-help-the-Reds-win-games-AND-sell-tickets could be passed from Bailey to Bruce to Hamilton. I bet Hamilton's first game would see some nice attendance.
    Bailey and Bruce were both rushed, but the Reds were so desperate for talent. Both also got flaws that seem to be taking them forever to correct. Homer it is the tempo with his mechanics. Bruce, going the otheway with his swing. It is very much a "feel" issues. Both could be superstars....if they get that feel down(ala Homer in LA for the last 3 innings).

I don't see that kind of pressure for Hamilton. He just needs to get on base in the leadoff spot. Nobody is desperate for a superstar. So he has one thing to worry about and one thing only.

C. Trent Rosecrans weekly column was on Hamilton and, particularly, his appearance in the Futures Game.

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/a...ures_game.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I predict Billy will have the minor league stolen base record by August 12th. Sometime during that home series with Chattanooga. That's within the next 30 games.

He plays two games today, starting at 5:15pm.
    Last edited by powersackers; 07-13-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Couple of Klaw comments on Billy...

From his updated top 50 (he was the only Reds prospect on the list):
    27. Billy Hamilton, SS, Cincinnati Reds (age 21)
    Current level: Double-A (Pensacola)
    Preseason ranking: 64

You saw the game-changing speed if you watched the Futures Game on Sunday, and you also saw why he might end up moving to second or, more likely, to center field. He looked stronger to me this year than he did last year, which will be key if he is going to keep his OBP up. The speed is great, but I'm trying not to overweigh it in these rankings. Michael Bourn stole 61 bases last year, yet added a bit more than seven runs of value on the bases, according to FanGraphs, so a reasonable expectation for Hamilton might be 9-10 runs a year, or about a win of value. He might be the most valuable fantasy prospect in the minors and is a very good prospect in the field, but there is a gap between those two values.

And from a chat:
    Rob (Wilkes-Barre, PA): Higher ceiling: Billy Hamilton or Juan Pierre?
    Klaw: Hamilton's better than Pierre ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by treetops View Post
    And from a chat:
    Rob (Wilkes-Barre, PA): Higher ceiling: Billy Hamilton or Juan Pierre?
    Klaw: Hamilton's better than Pierre ever was.
    Not sure I agree with that, unless he is taking positional scarcity into account.

Pierre's hit tool is WAY better than Hamilton's. The guy was a legit 300 hitter who almost never struck out, and was durable as hell. Hopefully, Billy can close the gap offensively by being more selective at the plate and a getting thrown out a little less on the basepaths (Pierre was never an exceptional percentage basestealer). If he does that and sticks at an up-the-middle position, he'll be a valuable little player.

The only reason Pierre gets crapped on so much is because the Dodgers signed him to a ridiculous contract and then shifted him to LF (nobody loves a judy hitting LF). If he were signed to a more reasonable deal and played an adequate CF, he would have a been a valuable player on most teams rosters. Pulling down eight digits and playing LF, not so much.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If he were signed to a more reasonable deal and played an adequate CF, he would have a been a valuable player on most teams rosters. Pulling down eight digits and playing LF, not so much.
    There was a reason he was moved from CF.

Pierre might be able to survive in CF, IF.Zach Cozart sprints toward cneter on every ball hit that way and Juan hands him the ball. He has been termed a noodle arm, but that only a noodle that has been way over-cooked.

Turn Off Ads?