Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 7/8

Birthdays: 7/8

Lets do an all-Reds Sunday:

Bobby Ayala (43) -I had forgotten this guy was a Red, but he was, in '92 and '93. He was traded to Seattle in the Bret Boone deal, where he had a love-hate relationship with Mariner fans.

Jerome Walton (47) -NL Rookie of the Year (edging out Chris Sabo) in 1989; he never got as many ABs again as injuries took their toll on his skills, but he was always a pretty good hitter. A Red in 1994-95.

George Culver (69) -Pitched a no-hitter as a Red on July 29, 1968 versus the Phillies.

Glenn Gorbous -Native Canadian who went 6 for 18 with the 1955 Reds. He's best remembered for holding the world record for throwing a baseball: 445 feet, 10 inches, set in 1958 at the Omaha AAA ballpark. I highly doubt any major league team would permit its valuable talent to participate in such an event nowadays.

Ivey Wingo -Often misspelled as "Ivy"...Long-time Reds catcher in the early part of the 1900s, including the world championship year of 1919. At the time of his retirement he held the NL record for most games caught, and he still holds the record for career errors as a catcher...Managed the Reds for two games in 1916, between the regimes of Buck Herzog and Christy Mathewson.

Hank O'Day -19th-century pitcher who managed the Reds in 1912. He's best known as a long-time umpire. He was the chief unp in the famous "Merkle Boner" play of 1908, and he was the second base umpire who made the call on Bill Wambsgans's unassisted triple play in the World Series. He and Harry Wendlestadt are the only men to umpire in four decades.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 7/8

Chris Sabo was NL Rookie of the Year in 1988.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Oops...serves me right for relying on my memory rather than sticking to research.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Watched Ayala pitch a bit in class A Charleston. Interesting pitcher; always looked as if he might be better than he was.
    No Victims, by me

The rest is drama.

What begins at the water shall end there, and what ends there shall once more begin. --Straka

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Glenn Gorbous - He's best remembered for holding the world record for throwing a baseball: 445 feet, 10 inches, set in 1958 at the Omaha AAA ballpark. I highly doubt any major league team would permit its valuable talent to participate in such an event nowadays.
    In Gorbous's case, his ML career had already ended when he made the throw. This is according to his page on Wikipedia.

Turn Off Ads?