Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chase Headley...

Chase Headley...

...Needs to be a Red.

The Reds aren't one of the reportedly seven clubs interested.

.370 OBP and a switch hitter. Even his Petco numbers would work in the #2 spot. $3.5 mil per year.

Is moving Frazier to LF crazy? I don't think so.

Any way possible to get this guy or arguments for/against would be appreciated. It drives me nuts that the Reds don't have a switch hitter, or a decent OBP ahead of Votto.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Would cost too much and Dusty would not bat him 2nd.

Re: Chase Headley...

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I think he would (almost have to), and if cost is the issue, there should be zero talk of Carlos Quentin.

Quote Originally Posted by '69 & Vine View Post
    I think he would (almost have to), and if cost is the issue, there should be zero talk of Carlos Quentin.
    For the record, I think even Quentin will be too expensive for the Reds this year. But that's not really true. Quentin would be a one year rental in his current contract, versus Headley who is under contract through at least 2014 with (I believe) a club option.

The value is nowhere near even in my opinion. Headley would cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Correct on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    For the record, I think even Quentin will be too expensive for the Reds this year. But that's not really true. Quentin would be a one year rental in his current contract, versus Headley who is under contract through at least 2014 with (I believe) a club option.

The value is nowhere near even in my opinion. Headley would cost more.
    If you are saying he would cost more long-term at ~$4-6 mil a year for 2013,2014,2015, okay, seems an incredible value, IMO.

Headley would bring so much more to the table for this lineup, the last thing this club needs is to add a right-handed slugger.

The Chase Headley market remains hot, with the Dodgers, Pirates, Indians, Orioles, Diamondbacks and at least two other teams believed to have some level of interest in San Diego's switch-hitting third baseman.

The Padres don't have an aversion to trading within their division, but a touchy recent history (several of the respective teams' executives have switched teams) may make a trade a bit tricky between the Padres and D-Backs.

It shouldn't be a surprise Headley is popular considering the paucity of proven hitters on the trade market. The Padres don't have to trade him, but do have a top prospect, Jedd Gyorko, who seems ready to play third base in San Diego.

The Padres could keep Headley into the winter when the Braves, Reds and Phillies may join in the hunt for him. Those teams could have third-base openings to fill this winter.

In a weak hitting market Headley, 28, brings a lot of plusses. The switch hitter makes a reasonable $3.475 million and remains under team control through 2014. He has a career .811 OPS on the road (compared to .666 at PETCO Park), showing his hitting ability goes beyond his overall numbers. He has a .794 OPS overall this year, with eight homers, 41 RBI and a .271 batting average.

No Dusty has to bat the SS/CF in the top 2.

If you are saying he would cost more long-term at ~$4-6 mil a year for 2013,2014,2015, okay, seems an incredible value, IMO.

Headley would bring so much more to the table for this lineup, the last thing this club needs is to add a right-handed slugger.
    I just mean that the longer a young player is under team control, typically the higher his value is in terms of the return you'd expect in a trade. Especially when that player is fairly cost controlled in the contract that the team trading for him would acquire.

It's the reason we gave up so much in the Latos trade as opposed to what I think a half-year rental like Greinke will draw for the Brewers this season. Even though Greinke is very arguably better than Latos and Quentin is probably better than Headley at this point, having a player on a three year deal is worth more than having a player on a six month contract. And the amount you give up in a trade is going to be reflective of those considerations.

Turn Off Ads?