Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Adrian Peterson arrested in nightclub for resisting arrest in Texas

Adrian Peterson arrested in nightclub for resisting arrest in Texas

From USAToday:

Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson was arrested on a charge of resisting arrest after an early morning incident in which police say it took three officers to subdue him.

Houston Police Department spokesperson Kese Smith said Peterson was at a downtown nightclub early Saturday morning when an off-duty Houston police officer working security asked Peterson and a group of people he was with to leave because the club had closed. The man, who Kese said identified himself as a police officer, left to tell other patrons to leave the club before returning to Peterson's group to again tell them to leave.

Kese said Peterson turned around and told the officer that he heard him the first time and pushed him in the shoulder, causing him to stumble. The officer told Peterson he was under arrest and to put his hands behind his back. Peterson began yelling, pulled away and "assumed an aggressive stance" so another off-duty officer came to help. Peterson struggled with them both, police said.

The 27-year-old player finally was handcuffed with the help of a third off-duty officer. Peterson complained of shortness of breath after he was taken to a Houston jail and was examined by Houston Fire Department personnel, who said he was OK.

Peterson ran for 970 yards and 12 touchdowns last season before tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his left knee Dec. 24. The injury-shortened season broke a streak of four straight seasons with at least 1,200 yards rushing for the former Oklahoma standout.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adrian Peterson arrested in nightclub for resisting arrest in Texas

Sounds to me like the cop was being a pest and Peterson took it a step to far without realizing it. Should just be a small misdemeanor.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Sounds like to me that Peterson was being an a-hole. The cop was doing his job. Not familiar with bar laws in Texas, but if the place is closed....it is closed. Some pro athletes feel that because they are famous and rich that they are above the law. Another black-eye on a professional athlete.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

How can you be arrested on resisting arrest? Isn't the original reason why you were arrested and then you were further charged with resisting?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    How can you be arrested on resisting arrest? Isn't the original reason why you were arrested and then you were further charged with resisting?
    It is odd, but it depends on how the state code is written. In Ohio, Petersen would have likely been charges with Disorderly Conduct or maybe Obstructing Official Business. But then, maybe there is another charge involved for pushing the police officer that wasn't in the story, they then tried to arrest him and he resisted.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Trespassing is also a crime.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Trespassing is also a crime.
    I am not sure I see your point.

I am not sure I see your point.
    Being in a bar after it's closed and you've been asked to leave is trespassing.

Then why hasn't he been charged with trespassing? (I think that's what doug's point was.)

I never said he didn't commit a crime. I said that I can't figure out how you can be arrested for resisting arrest. To resist arrest, you first have to be under arrest. Resisting arrest at that point is an additional charge.

I never said he didn't commit a crime. I said that I can't figure out how you can be arrested for resisting arrest. To resist arrest, you first have to be under arrest. Resisting arrest at that point is an additional charge.
    He could have been arrested for trespassing, disorderly conduct, obstruction, etc., and then the prosecutor decided not to pursue that charge.

Wouldn't change the fact that he resisted arrest. Even if the arrest was somewhat bogus.

Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of the criminal justice system!

In the USA Today report it said the officer placed him under arrest. Then it said he struggled with the two officers. I bet thats when he got hit with the resisting. He was placed under arrest for shoving the officer first. Im sure there was another charge thrown on top of the resisting. Maybe it wasn't reported I dunno.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    In the USA Today report it said the officer placed him under arrest. Then it said he struggled with the two officers. I bet thats when he got hit with the resisting. He was placed under arrest for shoving the officer first. Im sure there was another charge thrown on top of the resisting. Maybe it wasn't reported I dunno.
    I certainly get that. I was merely mocking that he was arrested for resisting arrest. Which simply isn't possible.

Can the officer sue for assault, too?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Can the officer sue for assault, too?
    I imagine that he could, assuming there were injuries. He shoved him at first, was his resisting merely walking away or did it get physical?

Turn Off Ads?