Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates strongly going after Quentin or Upton

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Pirates strongly going after Quentin or Upton

Per www.mlbtraderumors.com

I may have to laugh to keep from crying if this happens. Pirates pitching is for real. And their offense knows how to manufacture enough runs.

What sucks is that they have the payroll flexibility and farm system to make it happen and the Reds don't.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pirates strongly going after Quentin or Upton

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

I may have to laugh to keep from crying if this happens. Pirates pitching is for real. And their offense knows how to manufacture enough runs.

What sucks is that they have the payroll flexibility and farm system to make it happen and the Reds don't.
    This would be a masterful move by the Pitt FO. They do know what they are doing, I think -- and a lineup around McCutchen and Upton would be hard to deal with for quite some time.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This isn't directed at you. But that comment sounds like Reds management and their approach since 2010. They never seem to sweat anything, thus the .500 record of the team since 2010.

Who's to blame? Dusty? Walt? The players?...........hmmmm.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I'd love it if they got rid of Cole.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Most would though, including the Reds FO. This team who was, according to many, going to die is in first place by a game over the Reds with little or so-called lucky hitting, but with a hammer of a pitching staff. It still hasn't happened. They are almost unbeatable at home so far and the addition of Upton or another bat would be very difficult for the Reds and Cardinals. The Reds better make a likewise move or we could be looking up at the Pirates for awhile,
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

This isn't directed at you. But that comment sounds like Reds management and their approach since 2010. They never seem to sweat anything, thus the .500 record of the team since 2010.

Who's to blame? Dusty? Walt? The players?...........hmmmm.
    Where do you get that .500 number?

I am just amused how the Pirates are suddenly considered the model of all that is right in baseball. I guess the Reds should punt for 20 years and bank on finish .500 in 2032.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I am just amused how the Pirates are suddenly considered the model of all that is right in baseball. I guess the Reds should punt for 20 years and bank on finish .500 in 2032.
    Who said that the Pirates are a model of all that is right in baseball?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Hey, good for the Pirates. You know, the Reds can't acquire EVERY good player on the market. So if Walt doesn't land Upton, but the Pirates do, it's a failure on Walt's part? I mean come on. I want the Pirates to be relevant. Go get Upton. This is awesome and great to see. Baseball is alive and well in Ohio, and in Pittsburgh. Bring the rivalry back. This is exciting to me. It's going to be a fun race.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Hey, good for the Pirates. You know, the Reds can't acquire EVERY good player on the market. So if Walt doesn't land Upton, but the Pirates do, it's a failure on Walt's part? I mean come on. I want the Pirates to be relevant. Go get Upton. This is awesome and great to see. Baseball is alive and well in Ohio, and in Pittsburgh. Bring the rivalry back. This is exciting to me. It's going to be a fun race.
    I don't think anyone has said missing on Upton would be a failure on Walt's part. We're just excited at the (possible) opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Who said that the Pirates are a model of all that is right in baseball?
    I suppose it's hyperbole on my part, and it wasn't directed towards your comment about their FO, it's more of a comment on the obsession several posters here seem to have with the Pirates. To me, they're just another of our NL Central opponents.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

And, unlike the Reds, they have a GM who is willing to make mid-summer deals to correct deficiencies and improve their team.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Reds are 125-121 in 2011 and so far this year
    Reds are 216-192 from 2010-2012
    Reds are 294-276 from 2009-now

Over .500 all the way.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Most would though, including the Reds FO. This team who was, according to many, going to die is in first place by a game over the Reds
    They were in first place on July 25th last year. They ended up 72-90, fourth place - 24 games back in the division.

I'm not saying we should ignore them, but it's not like we haven't seen this before.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Turn Off Ads?