Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Of the first half, what are your:

    1. Biggest positive surprises

    2. Biggest negative surprises

    3. Biggest effects on why games were lost

    4. Biggest effects on why games were won

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,451
    1. Biggest positive surprises?

    * Votto's 1.100 OPS
    * Frazier's offensive production
    * Chapman's relief pitching
    * Homer being mentally tougher and physically more ready.
    * Latos grand improvement since early season
    * Heisey's CF defense
    * Mesoraco throwing to 2nd

    2. Biggest negative surprises

    * Sean Marshall in relief
    * Jay Bruce's miscues in RF
    * Baserunning
    * Position players bunting ability
    * Rolen and Cairo over the hill

    3. Biggest effect on why games were lost.

    * Plate Approaches
    * Lineup Assembly
    * Handling of Chapman

    4. Biggest effect on why games were won.

    * 5 starters being pretty solid and eating innings a bit
    * bullpen very good the first 2 1/2 months
    * excellent defense
    * Joey Votto
    * crappy opposing scouts
    * good health
    * good fortunes when they played several teams
    Last edited by Ironman92; 07-08-2012 at 02:29 PM.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    96

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    1. Biggest positive surprises?

    * Votto's 1.100 OPS
    * Frazier's offensive production
    * Chapman's relief pitching
    * Homer being mentally tougher and physically more ready.
    * Latos grand improvement since early season
    * Heisey's CF defense
    * Mesoraco throwing to 2nd

    2. Biggest negative surprises

    * Sean Marshall in relief
    * Jay Bruce's miscues in RF
    * Baserunning
    * Position players bunting ability
    * Rolen and Cairo over the hill
    This about sums it up for me.... Id just have to add that a positive suprise for me would have to be the bullpen performance, I wouldnt have thought with all the injuries that the pen would have been this good.

  5. #4
    JoeyBats19 Spider Tre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    160

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    1. Biggest positive surprises: Todd Frazier, Bronson Arroyo's 3.73 ERA going into the ASB, Cozart's defense, Votto's amount of doubles and overall play

    2. Biggest negative surprises: Rolen and Cairo's non productivity, ability to come through with RISP, Sean Marshall

    3. Biggest effects on why games were lost: multiple blown scoring opportunities in a single game (i.e. 2+ runners on base/scoring position with none or 1 out and can't get them in), rely too much on the home run ball, blown saves by the bullpen

    4. Biggest effects on why games were won: solid starting pitching + home runs
    Reds record when attended in 2011: 0-1
    Reds record when attended in 2010: 1-0

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Have to agree with you, ironman. That's pretty much the season so far.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    171

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Biggest good suprise: cozart and frazier, bullpen
    Biggest bad surprise: rolen
    Biggest effects losing: baker, offense, poor starts
    Biggest effects winning: strong starts, votto, defense

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    171

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Biggest good suprise: cozart and frazier, bullpen
    Biggest bad surprise: rolen
    Biggest effects losing: baker, offense, poor starts
    Biggest effects winning: strong starts, votto, defense

  9. #8
    throws 106. NBD.
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,194

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    1. Biggest positive surprises?

    * Votto's 1.100 OPS
    * Frazier's offensive production
    * Chapman's relief pitching
    * Homer being mentally tougher and physically more ready.
    * Latos grand improvement since early season
    * Heisey's CF defense
    * Mesoraco throwing to 2nd

    2. Biggest negative surprises

    * Sean Marshall in relief
    * Jay Bruce's miscues in RF
    * Baserunning
    * Position players bunting ability
    * Rolen and Cairo over the hill

    3. Biggest effect on why games were lost.

    * Plate Approaches
    * Lineup Assembly
    * Handling of Chapman

    4. Biggest effect on why games were won.

    * 5 starters being pretty solid and eating innings a bit
    * bullpen very good the first 2 1/2 months
    * excellent defense
    * Joey Votto
    * crappy opposing scouts
    * good health
    * good fortunes when they played several teams
    Reps.

  10. #9
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,451
    Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Reps.
    Reps?

    Thought you had to on this site.

    Butt thx

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    480

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Biggest Positive Surprise:

    1. The NL Central is more competitive than it has been in a very, very long time.
    2. Rotation and Bullpen being the biggest key to the Reds' success.
    3. Cozart and Frazier playing well above a rookie's expectation.
    4. Attendance at home games.
    5. Latos proving he is a stud. Exhibit A: His performance as of late. Exhibit B: His wife.

    Biggest Negative Surprise:

    1. Drew Stubbs struggling at the plate. Somewhat not a surprise though.
    2. Rolen's shoulder injury keeping him from his true potential.
    3. BA with RISP being as low as it is. (25th in MLB)
    4. We all thought that this was the year Bruce steps up to the next level of play. (Although he is the HR and RBI leader on the team) There's another half of baseball left and I'm optimistic.

    Biggest Effect On Why Games Were Lost:

    1. BA with RISP
    2. Votto not having baserunners in front of him. He is missing a lot of RBI's because of this.
    3. The score

    Biggest effect on why games were won:

    1. Pitching. Kudos to rotation and bullpen.
    2. Home Run hitting.
    3. Dusty Baker. Haters are gonna hate but he is the Reds manager, and he owns those 47 wins just as much if not more than anyone else.
    4. Did I mention pitching?
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

  12. #11
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,216

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Of the first half, what are your:

    1. Biggest positive surprises

    2. Biggest negative surprises

    3. Biggest effects on why games were lost

    4. Biggest effects on why games were won

    1. The starting rotation. From 1-5, maybe the best I've seen in my 40 years of being a Reds fan. These guys have consistently gone deep into games and given the Reds a chance to win many, many more games than they have. I wouldn't say they've been "dominant," but very solid with a legit ace at the top in Cueto.

    2. Drew Stubbs being allowed to be Drew Stubbs. A proven commodity who is given repeated chances to fail, and chances to fail in a crucial spot in the batting order. I'm just shocked that a MLB organization would allow it to continue.

    3. Lack of the timely/situational hit.

    4. Back to #1. The starting pitching has given the Reds a chance to compete with anyone. And I think they'll do that in the playoffs, if the Reds make it. The biggest question is whether the Reds can generate offense against an elite pitching staff.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  13. #12
    Member Larkin88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    646

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Biggest Positive Surprise:

    1. The NL Central is more competitive than it has been in a very, very long time.
    2. Rotation and Bullpen being the biggest key to the Reds' success.
    3. Cozart and Frazier playing well above a rookie's expectation.
    4. Attendance at home games.
    5. Latos proving he is a stud. Exhibit A: His performance as of late. Exhibit B: His wife.

    Biggest Negative Surprise:

    1. Drew Stubbs struggling at the plate. Somewhat not a surprise though.
    2. Rolen's shoulder injury keeping him from his true potential.
    3. BA with RISP being as low as it is. (25th in MLB)
    4. We all thought that this was the year Bruce steps up to the next level of play. (Although he is the HR and RBI leader on the team) There's another half of baseball left and I'm optimistic.

    Biggest Effect On Why Games Were Lost:

    1. BA with RISP
    2. Votto not having baserunners in front of him. He is missing a lot of RBI's because of this.
    3. The score

    Biggest effect on why games were won:

    1. Pitching. Kudos to rotation and bullpen.
    2. Home Run hitting.
    3. Dusty Baker. Haters are gonna hate but he is the Reds manager, and he owns those 47 wins just as much if not more than anyone else.
    4. Did I mention pitching?
    Totally agree with your assessments. More just wanted to comment on your signature. Barry Larkin's birthday is actually April 28. I know because I share it with him, Tom Browning, and Saddam Hussein.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    813

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    1. Biggest positive surprises?

    * Votto's 1.100 OPS
    * Frazier's offensive production
    * Chapman's relief pitching
    * Homer being mentally tougher and physically more ready.
    * Latos grand improvement since early season
    * Heisey's CF defense
    * Mesoraco throwing to 2nd

    2. Biggest negative surprises

    * Sean Marshall in relief
    * Jay Bruce's miscues in RF
    * Baserunning
    * Position players bunting ability
    * Rolen and Cairo over the hill

    3. Biggest effect on why games were lost.

    * Plate Approaches
    * Lineup Assembly
    * Handling of Chapman

    4. Biggest effect on why games were won.

    * 5 starters being pretty solid and eating innings a bit
    * bullpen very good the first 2 1/2 months
    * excellent defense
    * Joey Votto
    * crappy opposing scouts
    * good health
    * good fortunes when they played several teams
    Well done on this. I think Arroyo deserves his own line in the surprising positives, though. 17 starts and pitched at least 6 innings in 13 of those starts - has given up less than 4 runs in 11 of 17 starts - has given up less than 3 runs in seven starts. Averaging only one walk per start (18 walks in 17 games). That's pretty impressive for a guy most of the zone predicted as a borderline #5 SP at best.

    I also have to admit that I was very pleasantly surprised by Alfredo Simon. He is a more than serviceable reliever.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northeast KY
    Posts
    873

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Am I missing something? I thought Marshall was pretty good. He had a few bad games but overall he did his job well

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    241

    Re: Biggest Surprises, good and bad, of first half

    Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    Am I missing something? I thought Marshall was pretty good. He had a few bad games but overall he did his job well
    I agree, not sure what people were expecting but 33 IP w a 5.8 K/BB, and 11.2 K/9, with a 3.0 ERA is pretty good.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25