Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tutures Game

Tutures Game

Forgot about it. Anyone got a link to a box score (or Billy's line)?

Can someone change the first letter of my thread header to an F also?
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-08-2012 at 08:48 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tutures Game

Give me an F !!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Can't wait to see some of these tuture players.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Billy went 1-3 with a triple and two very weak ground balls. I didn't time the triple, but saw elsewhere he was under 11 seconds on it and he didn't break out of the box for a triple (a solid Major Leaguer probably catches it, this guy broke in at first when he probably should have just taken a few strides backwards, but it was too late). One of the grounders was a DP as the 2B just tagged the runner as he went by then went to first.

Was glad to see Hamilton drive that ball to CF. While the CF misplayed it some, it was a legit line drive that nearly made the warning track on the fly. On the other hand, he made a poor throw on a play at SS -- doesn't look to have the most natural arm over there. His defensive position could become an issue.... maybe as soon as this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Give me an F !!
    Yeah, let's just stop it right there...

“In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Some interesting comments from the ESPN crew:

-- Lots of love for Billy Hamilton. Good patience at the plate, 80+ speed, great work ethic, kid, etc. Star potential. "Reds love him."

-- Lotzkar's 90-94 with a "plus-plus" slider. Lotzkar praised for getting Singleton out for the first time on a "very good pitch". Despite injuries and other teams asking for him in trades, Reds and Jocketty "love him" too.

Lotzkar was one of the only World pitchers to have a "clean inning" though it was spread across two innings. He gave up at least 1 hit though.

All Hamilton Highlights available here in a "mic'd" up piece.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_cin&c_id=cin
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Is Ariel Pena still considered a prospect after his performance? Yikes.

I saw the Hamilton triple. In all fairness, while it is true that the CF probably misplayed the line drive (and it was a legitimate line drive), the OF was playing in. As far as the actual misplay, the CF appeared to read it as a sinking line drive. Problem was, it didn't sink. Hamilton really didn't turn on the jets until he reached 1B and saw the ball go over the head of the CF. The kid flew to 3B. Not sure I have ever seen anyone go from 1B to 3B that fast.

What doesn't show up in the box score is the play that followed Hamilton's triple. Hamilton is at 3B. The next batter hits a chopper that is fielded by the pitcher. The pitcher turns and sees Hamilton bouncing all over the 3B line. The pitcher then turns to throw out the batter at 1B and hurries his throw and throws the ball in the dirt for an error. Hamilton walks home and the batter winds up on 2B. The announcers went on and on how that Hamilton made that play happen because the pitcher was so worried about looking Hamilton back to 3B.

I'm not one to cut Hamilton a lot of slack, but if he can learn the art of being a distraction on the base paths - Joe Morgan was a master at this - it will serve him well even at the higher levels.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

That's what speed does, Mike, that many disregard because it's not quantifiable.

What's really cool is the idea that Hamilton can get to 3B faster. He wasn't running full-tilt boogie until after he rounded the bag at first. That speed is just incredible. I've watched prospects for 15 year or so, and he's by far the fastest guy I've seen in terms of affecting the game. He uses it as the weapon it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    What doesn't show up in the box score is the play that followed Hamilton's triple. Hamilton is at 3B. The next batter hits a chopper that is fielded by the pitcher. The pitcher turns and sees Hamilton bouncing all over the 3B line. The pitcher then turns to throw out the batter at 1B and hurries his throw and throws the ball in the dirt for an error. Hamilton walks home and the batter winds up on 2B. The announcers went on and on how that Hamilton made that play happen because the pitcher was so worried about looking Hamilton back to 3B.

For those who have seen Hamilton on a regular basis, this was the play (or a variation of it) that we have seen countless times. It's his overall impact on the game that can't be measured by an OPS.
    Last edited by redsof72; 07-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Hamilton creates the same buzz at the plate that Rose/Morgan would create during the glory years

Turn Off Ads?