Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Quality' starts

'Quality' starts

With this weekend's starting pitching, the Reds are now tied with the Dodgers for third in the majors at 54 quality starts (two behind the league-leading Mets at 56).

Basically two of every three starts have been 3 runs or less and at least six innings by the Reds' starters. They have a total of seven complete games -- also a Major League-best.

What's more, though, the Reds' are third in total staff ERA (3.40) and second in the majors with a 3-to-1 strikeout-to-walk rate.

Needless to say, the investment the Reds' have made on pitching is certainly paying off. It's debatable as to whether Mat Latos is or will be the 'ace' they truly have sought, but as a whole, the staff is getting it done. I guess it's a good problem to have when the biggest question about the pitching staff is whether Johnny Cueto is an 'ace.'
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: 'Quality' starts

Good stuff. Hopefully it puts to rest any more Greinke talk or trade ideas for more pitching.

Haunted by walks

And all five starters have a complete game.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Latos has been pretty good for some time. He's gone 14 starts without losing, going 7-0 with a 3.43 ERA during that time, with 87 K's and 22 walks in 89.1 innings. And he's currently on a 58/9 K/W streak.

And in his last 8 starts, he's gotten more GB's than FB's, after having about a 1.60:1.00 ratio in his first 10 starts.

He might be as good as any stater in baseball in the second half. Everything is trending better for him.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 07-08-2012 at 08:44 PM.

For a Level Playing Field

Pitching, pitching, pitching!

It is nice to have a GM who gets the concept that good pitching is more important than good hitting in the game we love. They are both important (do not get me wrong), but one is more important than the other. That ONE is the thing that tends to get teams to the post-season.

I'd rather win 3-to-2 than lose 11-to-8. The latter was seen numerous times during the 2000-2009 decade. Scoring is exciting, but not when the other team does more of it.

The Reds pitching has been trending in the right direction now for a while. But I am sure it has to give the staff a boost to pitch in the NL West and face two teams whose 3 hole hitters are Headly and Abreu.

It is nice to see Latos get back on track but its even nicer to see Arroyo have a bounce back season and know how to get lefties out again.

Reds lead MLB in team ERA away from home. 3.23.

Road record is 24-22. Good, but not among the very tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds lead MLB in team ERA away from home. 3.23.

Road record is 24-22. Good, but not among the very tops.
    Seems like the record ought to be better with that kind of ERA. Hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Seems like the record ought to be better with that kind of ERA. Hmmm?
    Reds offense's OPS away from home is .689. NL Average is .700 even.

Funny thing about qualify starts. Cueto had three starts on the latest road trip. Two quality starts and one non-quality start. He lost the two quality starts and won the non-quality start.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

We're going into the break with a Lake Wobegon rotation where all the pitchers are above average.

Cueto: ERA+ 175
    Arroyo: 112
    Leake: 104
    Baily and Latos: 101

Moreover, nobody but that five has made a start.

Even more moreover, all the relievers except for Bill Bray's four inning is on the ERA plus side.

Get a lead-off hitter, print the tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    We're going into the break with a Lake Wobegon rotation where all the pitchers are above average.

Cueto: ERA+ 175
    Arroyo: 112
    Leake: 104
    Baily and Latos: 101

Even more moreover, all the relievers except for Bill Bray's four inning is on the ERA plus side.

Get a lead-off hitter, print the tickets.
    Agreed. For me, this is why I wouldn't invest many resources into Greinke even if he's available. While I would love to have Greinke, he's more of a luxury than a necessity and I'd like to put resources into acquiring a Shane Victorino-type.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Agreed. For me, this is why I wouldn't invest many resources into Greinke even if he's available. While I would love to have Greinke, he's more of a luxury than a necessity and I'd like to put resources into acquiring a Shane Victorino-type.
    Devil's advocate: Arroyo often has bad half seasons, Leake's young, Bailey's an enigma and you can never have enough pitching.

But, yeah, there's actual broken stuff to fix.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    This is quite remarkable for a Reds team!

Number of starters by year:

2011: 10
    2010: 9
    2009: 9
    2008: 10
    2007: 11
    2006: 12
    2005: 9
    2004: 12
    2003: 17 (YIKES)
    2002: 14

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Pitching, pitching, pitching!

It is nice to have a GM who gets the concept that good pitching is more important than good hitting in the game we love. They are both important (do not get me wrong), but one is more important than the other. That ONE is the thing that tends to get teams to the post-season.

I'd rather win 3-to-2 than lose 11-to-8. The latter was seen numerous times during the 2000-2009 decade. Scoring is exciting, but not when the other team does more of it.
    and supporting that pitching is great defense. Even great pitchers get frustrated when the team defense continues to force them to get four or five outs per inning. The Reds have assembled a core of Gold Glove defenders (some of whom can't hit) in Mesoraco/Hanigan, Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Rolen, Bruce, and Stubbs. Even Heisey and Ludwick are above average defenders in left field.

I'm hoping they move Billy Hamilton to center field soon for just this reason. It's becoming obvious he'll never be a Gold Glove infielder. I think it's time to see if he can track some balls, get good jumps, and make the throws from the outfield. His bat and legs will carry him to the Show soon, we need to figure out if/where he fits in.

Personally, I think they need to get a cleanup hitter and allow DateDude to go back to his most useful spot in the lineup. With all the youth on the field this should be a fun team to watch for years to come.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?