Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 7/9

Birthdays: 7/9

Reds:

Robert Manuel (29) -Made his major league debut with the Reds on his 26th birthday in 2009.

Guy Hoffman (56) -Compact lefty who did time with the 1987 Reds.

Wally Post -Oft-injured slugger; very popular with his teammates...Hit the first HR at Dodger Stadium...One of his grandsons, Bobby Hoying, played quarterback for Ohio State.

Buck Herzog -A John McGraw disciple who served as player-manager for the Reds in the mid-1910s.

Others:

Willie Wilson (57)- The player we all hoped Drew Stubbs would emulate; it's becoming increasingly likely that it ain't gonna happen...13 of his 41 career homers were inside-the-park jobs...

Sonny Jackson (68) -Got a brief look in 1963 as the 18-year-old DP partner of 19-year-old Joe Morgan...Didn't stick; came back in 1966 with the Braves and stole 49 bases, a rookie record...

Tex Clevenger (80) -An unremarkable pitcher mentioned here because of a weird play in which he recieved both an assist and a putout. The batter, Elston Howard, hit a line drive that bounced off Clevenger's shin and rolled toward the first base line. The first baseman picked it up at underhanded it to Clevenger covering.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 7/9

Was recently watching a rerun of an old episode of Home Run Derby. It had Wally Post and (a young) Hank Aaron on it. As Post stepped in and took his slightly crouched stance, I thought to myself that it looked really familiar. At that point I realized that that's the player that Pete Rose must have started emulating when he was a teenager in the 50's.

Rose's crouch was more pronounced, but I'm almost sure that he got the idea from watching Post.

(As an aside, watching the '86 Red Sox, you can see that Buckner and Boggs both got their crouched stances directly from emulating Rose. Strange how those things perpetuate through the years.)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Wally Post -Oft-injured slugger; very popular with his teammates...Hit the first HR at Dodger Stadium...One of his grandsons, Bobby Hoying, played quarterback for Ohio State.
    Popular with the fans, too, including me! Had a fantastic 1955 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Popular with the fans, too, including me! Had a fantastic 1955 season.
    Is he still alive? He was one of my favorites in 1961.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Is he still alive? He was one of my favorites in 1961.
    No, he died in 1982.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?