Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scalpers

Scalpers

I am getting together with some friends for a Red's game and I have tickets 3 rows up from the Reds dugout on the 14th vs. the Cards (face value of $59.50 per ticket.) It looks like two of my tickets may go un-claimed, but I will not be sure until a few hours before the game starts. If the tickets do not get claimed, the short notice limits my re-sale options to scalpers or someone outside the stadium looking for two tickets.

I have never sold to a scalper before, but I know their nature. How bad of a hit will I be taking on these unused tickets, and do I have any better options?

Thanks!
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scalpers

9 times out of 10 you'll do better with the secondary market online. I'm not sure if that will be an option given the timing and you saying you "may" have extras though.

when selling tickets to a scalper you are almost 100% of the time at a disadvantage, but there is some hope. The earlier you sell them on gameday the better, and unless the game is sold out (which it could be) they will offer you less than face value. They will try to push you around and they work in teams. (On a few occasions they call to their buddy across the street, making it 2 or 3 of them against you.

They will usually and persistently ask "What do you have..." when you approach them. They leave the question ambiguous, meaning "do you have tickets or money". Do not fall into this trap, it will cost you more money, either buying or selling. Try to flip it on them, seeing what they are selling similar tickets for.

Go into selling them with a bottom-line price in mind. I was able to sell two $25 tickets for $35 total after about 10 minutes of grueling haggling. With $120 worth of tickets, they'll offer you somewhere between $80 and $100. They'll start of with a BS offer like $60 for the two most likely. I wish you best of luck.

Here are some tricks that can help get you a better resale value on the tickets:

-if the game is sold out, you have two golden tickets. This is ideal
    -sell them as early as possible, but not too early. This is hard to gauge but an hour before gametime should be good enough.
    -sell the tickets to the scalper. Explain to them that this is a big division rival, people will want to watch this game, they're great seats, etc. Try to get at least $100. Explain to them even if they sell them for face value, that's a $20 profit. They're not "cheap" tickets so the margins should be smaller.
    - go to multiple scalpers. Not all of them are on the same "team". make them compete for your tickets (which are GREAT seats)
    -try to find similar tickets being scalped to get an idea of what kind of markup they are applying
    -have a bottom line, but at all costs try to avoid going that low.
    -enjoy the game with your newly acquired beer money
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

Ill give you $70 for the pair
    Last edited by MrRedLegger; 07-09-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    9 times out of 10 you'll do better with the secondary market online. I'm not sure if that will be an option given the timing and you saying you "may" have extras though.
    Yeah, if I find out there are extras it will be around 12-1 pm that day. There are a few "maybes" in the party that have not confirmed that they are going to take a ticket yet, and probably wont know for sure until day of.

Please don't sell to a scalper if you can avoid it - advertise on Craigslist and tell them the situation or try to sell them to fans outside the stadium or at a bar once you're certain. It keeps prices down for us regular fans.

Quote Originally Posted by cooperlamar View Post
    Please don't sell to a scalper if you can avoid it - advertise on Craigslist and tell them the situation or try to sell them to fans outside the stadium or at a bar once you're certain. It keeps prices down for us regular fans.
    I plan on doing that, with the exception of going the Craigslist route.

It won't be a problem to sell them at all. It's likely the biggest weekend of the year in Cincinnati with the Cardinals series, good weather, Bunbury Festival downtown and the Choir Games - downtown will be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mudshark View Post
    Yeah, if I find out there are extras it will be around 12-1 pm that day. There are a few "maybes" in the party that have not confirmed that they are going to take a ticket yet, and probably wont know for sure until day of.
    I would have to give them a deadline, explain not trying to be a jerk but dont want to get stuck taking a hit on them.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

throws 106. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I would have to give them a deadline, explain not trying to be a jerk but dont want to get stuck taking a hit on them.
    This is what I'd do as well. Also, I'd take one at face value if it becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    This is what I'd do as well. Also, I'd take one at face value if it becomes available.
    I'd be happy to avoid scalpers all together and go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    I ordered 6 tickets for each weekend game before the season began. I was able to get 5 guys lined up to go (a 3 hour drive for us). A Cincy friend is taking the 6th ticket on Saturday & Sunday.

I've got a SINGLE left for Friday night if anyone is interested.

Section 128 Row EE.

Let me know.

throws 106. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIndRed View Post
    I ordered 6 tickets for each weekend game before the season began. I was able to get 5 guys lined up to go (a 3 hour drive for us). A Cincy friend is taking the 6th ticket on Saturday & Sunday.

I've got a SINGLE left for Friday night if anyone is interested.

Section 128 Row EE.

Let me know.
    What's the price on it? My wife is heading out of town on Thursday for over a week so I'll be going solo to most of the games while she's gone.

[Section 129 - Row I]

Is where my 2 are, in case you wanted to know specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by cooperlamar View Post
    It won't be a problem to sell them at all. It's likely the biggest weekend of the year in Cincinnati with the Cardinals series, good weather, Bunbury Festival downtown and the Choir Games - downtown will be insane.
    This.

And a scalper will give you maybe 75% of face value and turn around and sell them for 1.75 times their value or better. Don't help these slimeballs make it tougher on the average fan to attend a ballgame.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Turn Off Ads?