Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: East coast media bias; should Todd Frazier be an all star instead of Bryce Harper?

Re: East coast media bias; should Todd Frazier be an all star instead of Bryce Harper

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Basically this is why the Harper selection was wrong. it was done to increase ratings.

The fact that both Fraizer and Craig, two role players, have been more productive than Harper speaks volumes about how bad of a pick this is. There easily a dozen players far more worthy than Harper.
    I wouldn't say Craig is a "role player" considering he was on DL for the first month of the season. He's been in the lineup ever since he's returned from the DL. He's seen far more consistent playing time than Fraizer has.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: East coast media bias; should Todd Frazier be an all star instead of Bryce Harper

Harper being chosen is all about ratings and money plain and simple. Ive come to just live with it.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I wouldn't say Craig is a "role player" considering he was on DL for the first month of the season. He's been in the lineup ever since he's returned from the DL. He's seen far more consistent playing time than Fraizer has.
    Without injuries, Craig is on the bench. Role player.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

They had him slotted as a starter in the off season, when he went down they bemoaned losing him every day

Craig should be there instead of Harper (or Frazier). There aren't enough Cardinals on the All-Star team.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

They went so far as to play Beltran in CF just to get his bat in the lineup. When Berkman gets back, I would still expect him to see about 4-5 games per week. He certainly would be a starter for most teams in LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Craig should be there instead of Harper (or Frazier). There aren't enough Cardinals on the All-Star team.
    Should players be punished in the AS game based on where their position is in the standings? If you count Molina, the Cardinals had 6 players picked as All Stars yet their in 3rd place. You could argue against Lynn but most of those players had legit All Star seasons. I understand the argument about team position in the standings but to me, being named an All Star is an individual effort.

Todd Frazier was named to Baseball America's all-rookie team as the designated hitter. That's probably enough consolation.

I don't have a huge problem with Harper in the game.I like seeing a mix of guys having career years and guys who have played at a high level consistently. I was happy to see Chipper out there. To me, he was a bigger story than Bryce Harper. I would have also liked to have seen BP, since his D brings his credentials up a notch, but if having Chipper out there is the alternative, I'm fine with it.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I know Phillips is a fan favorite in Cincy but I'm not seeing this All Star year that he's having like most Reds fans are seeing. Sure he is playing excellent defense but he's having a below average offensive year. His OPS+ of 97 is nothing to write home about. Aaron Hill was far more deserving in my opinion. Only Robinson Cano has a better WAR than him this year and Hill is also an above average defender. I voted for Phillips in the past but I cannot get on board with him being an AS this year.

Hill's having a standout season and should have been on the team. Altuve shouldn't have, but Houston had to have a Rep. Starling Castro was needed as a second ss. Brian Lahair had a 1.3 war, iirc. Fangraphs has Hill with the best WAR among NL second baseman, followed by Neal Walker (with a very high babip) then BP and Uggla tied at 2.2. These are some tough choices. Watching BP's D every day puts him over the top to me.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Double post.

They went so far as to play Beltran in CF just to get his bat in the lineup. When Berkman gets back, I would still expect him to see about 4-5 games per week. He certainly would be a starter for most teams in LF.
    They moved Beltran to CF because Jay was injured. You know thet.

If the Cardinals are all healthy, Craig is their fourth outfielder. Role Player. Nothing wrong with that, he's a very valuable player and having a great year... As a role player.

Should players be punished in the AS game based on where their position is in the standings? If you count Molina, the Cardinals had 6 players picked as All Stars yet their in 3rd place. You could argue against Lynn but most of those players had legit All Star seasons. I understand the argument about team position in the standings but to me, being named an All Star is an individual effort.
    Beltran, Holliday, Molina deserved to go. Furcal, Lynn and Freese, not so much. At least 4 better options at each position than those last three.

fwiw, I think BP and Hill were also more deserving than Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?