Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: East coast media bias; should Todd Frazier be an all star instead of Bryce Harper?

Re: East coast media bias; should Todd Frazier be an all star instead of Bryce Harper

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I know Phillips is a fan favorite in Cincy but I'm not seeing this All Star year that he's having like most Reds fans are seeing. Sure he is playing excellent defense but he's having a below average offensive year. His OPS+ of 97 is nothing to write home about. Aaron Hill was far more deserving in my opinion. Only Robinson Cano has a better WAR than him this year and Hill is also an above average defender. I voted for Phillips in the past but I cannot get on board with him being an AS this year.
    Agree with you on this one. Phillips has been very good, but not a clear cut All-Star.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    When the play by play of Harper's first big league homer included the words "his first of hundreds" I knew the hype would be out of this world. The hype started when he was in HS and it won't stop until he stops hitting. I enjoyed him being on the team more than any name mentioned here. The stats don't lie. He was far less deserving based on them. But I would tell the snubs and there fans to "hang with em" he's the golden boy and you/yours are not.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Re: East coast media bias; should Todd Frazier be an all star instead of Bryce Harper

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Harper being chosen is all about ratings and money plain and simple. Ive come to just live with it.
    Isn't that the entire purpose of the All Star game and its related festivities? It seems that picking Harper fits that to a tee. IMO, MLB missed the boat by not including Harper in the HR Derby.

I think people criticizing this move are placing a meaning on the All Star game that just does not exist.

It's the All Star game not the All Stat game.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Plus, Frazier isn't even a starter on his own team.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Plus, Frazier isn't even a starter on his own team.
    From the very first post of this thread:
    Heck, Frazier hasn't convinced Dusty that he should be starting at third over Scott Rolen.
    I didn't use Frazier to compare with Harper so much because I really thought that Todd should be an all star, as to make the point that Harper hadn't really earned his slot. My secondary point was a pitch that Frazier should be given the starting third base job over Rolen.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The "Star" in All-Star is purposeful. Harper is a star. Frazier, decidedly, is not.

I read a recent blog post by Joe Sheehan about the ASG. He proposed that it is used to kick off the season rather than half way through. I love that idea. You'd get rid of all these half season wonders and remove rookies from the conversation entirely.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Craig should be there instead of Harper (or Frazier). There aren't enough Cardinals on the All-Star team.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Craig should be there instead of Harper (or Frazier). There aren't enough Cardinals on the All-Star team.
    Its also telling, though expected from TLR, that when Stanton was hurt, he picked Harper (another OF), leaving the Marlins with no players in the ASG. However, when Molina was hurt, rather than picking up another catcher, he grabbed another Cardinal (Holliday) leaving the NL team with only two catchers. Now whether he should have picked Harper or a different OF (heck, I wouldn't have minded Holliday as much then) is not my point.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Beltran, Holliday, Molina deserved to go. Furcal, Lynn and Freese, not so much. At least 4 better options at each position than those last three.
    Who at 3B would you have taken over Freese? This is another position where the NL is weak. You have David Wright and everyone else. If you look at Freese's production, his selection wasn't that crazy. There's only 1 other third baseman that has started the entire season in the NL that has a better BA and only two other 3B that have more RBI's and a better OBP.

With Tulo gone, Furcal wasn't that crazy of a choice either. There's only two other SS with more RBI's than him (remember he's a leadoff hitter) and only one other SS with a better OBP than him this year at SS in the NL. If Tulo was playing everyday, my opinion would be different but there has not been a clear dominant player at SS this year.

I can agree with you about Lynn though. As good as he has been replacing Carpenter, he probably shouldn't have been an all star.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They moved Beltran to CF because Jay was injured. You know thet.

If the Cardinals are all healthy, Craig is their fourth outfielder. Role Player. Nothing wrong with that, he's a very valuable player and having a great year... As a role player.
    So you're saying that Craig wouldn't be a perfect fit for the Reds, in that ball park? I have a feeling that many would disagree with you on that here. He would be starting for the majority of teams in baseball, whether it be RF or LF.

Yes, Jay was injured but Matheny and the Cardinals organization has been reluctant to put Beltran in CF because of his knees. I also don't consider a player who plays 4-6 games a week as a role player. Even when Berkman comes back, Craig will still see a lot of time in the lineup.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The "Star" in All-Star is purposeful. Harper is a star. Frazier, decidedly, is not.

I read a recent blog post by Joe Sheehan about the ASG. He proposed that it is used to kick off the season rather than half way through. I love that idea. You'd get rid of all these half season wonders and remove rookies from the conversation entirely.
    "The early Spring Classic"? No thanks Joe
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Hey look a thread turned into talking about the Cardinals. This never happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

After Saturday's game against the Cards, a little of the hype comes Frazier's way. From Ken Rosenthal at Fox Sports:
    Rolen is 37 now. He recently missed five weeks with a strained left shoulder. And his replacement, rookie Todd Frazier, is producing numbers even better than the more-celebrated Bryce Harper’s.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

After Saturday's game against the Cards, a little of the hype comes Frazier's way. From Ken Rosenthal at Fox Sports:
    Rolen is 37 now. He recently missed five weeks with a strained left shoulder. And his replacement, rookie Todd Frazier, is producing numbers even better than the more-celebrated Bryce Harper’s.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I know Phillips is a fan favorite in Cincy but I'm not seeing this All Star year that he's having like most Reds fans are seeing. Sure he is playing excellent defense but he's having a below average offensive year. His OPS+ of 97 is nothing to write home about. Aaron Hill was far more deserving in my opinion. Only Robinson Cano has a better WAR than him this year and Hill is also an above average defender. I voted for Phillips in the past but I cannot get on board with him being an AS this year.
    We can agree on Hill. But I think Phillips should've made the team over Uggla. Alas, that vote belonged to the fans. Ugh.

Turn Off Ads?