Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

The university will still make millions of dollars on the program selling tickets. There will still be chants of "WE ARE PENN STATE" echoing on Saturdays, and they'll emerge from the other side of sanctions just fine.

Wrist. Slap.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The university will still make millions of dollars on the program selling tickets. There will still be chants of "WE ARE PENN STATE" echoing on Saturdays, and they'll emerge from the other side of sanctions just fine.

Wrist. Slap.
    Perhaps. But I'm not so sure people are going to be as enthusiastic to go out and see them get pounded every week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Wrist. Slap.
    Agreed. The program should have been shut down for at least three years. But college sports has become too big a business for the NCAA to ever do that again.

So PSU hasn't won a game since 97, JoePa is basically washed out of the record books, and PSU can't field a competitive football team for a long time. Then the money going to helping out abused children, which I think is great.

Overall I think the punishments make sense. The collateral damage is going to punish a lot of innocent people there, like smaller sports that the football team was funding, but collateral damage was unavoidable here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps. But I'm not so sure people are going to be as enthusiastic to go out and see them get pounded every week.
    The same way USC got pounded every week the last few years?

They are also going to allow Penn State players to immediately transfer to other schools without having to sit out a year.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Different animal. Way different.
    Witty signature.

Penn State doesn't have one of the best QBs in the country. USC underclassmen were not allowed to leave while all Penn State players can. So for a HS kid during USC's first year of punishment he would only miss a bowl his freshman year at USC. Penn State is not only going to have an exodus of current players, but for at least the next two years its recruiting classes will be beyond awful with kids knowing they will miss bowl games most of their career.

Plus USC has the Song Girls...

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Different animal. Way different.
    OK, explain it to me. I'm reading it as they'll have scholarships reduced by 20 per year -- so they'll still have 65 kids on scholarship. That's still more than enough to compete.

As I said -- USC is competitive with 75 kids on scholarship. I find it hard to believe 10 scholarship kids (most of whom will never see the field in any given year) will cause Penn State to be non-competitive.

I also find it incredibly difficult to believe that top-tier recruits care about missing a trip to a bowl game. They care about playing in big-time conferences and playing on TV first and foremost. Penn State will still offer them that.

Wrist. Slap.
    +1. Just another nail in the coffin for "amateur" athletics in my book. It's a joke.

And, for some further "loss of faith in humanity" -- watch how fast the donations pile into Penn State as alums show solidarity with the program and watch how quickly they pay this fine off.

I also find it incredibly difficult to believe that top-tier recruits care about missing a trip to a bowl game. They care about playing in big-time conferences and playing on TV first and foremost. Penn State will still offer them that.
    Do you really think ESPN or ABC is going to have a Penn State game on in the next couple of years? They will be relegated to the Big 10 Network each week. So basically they are Indiana with 20 less scholarships.

Penn State has 13 commits right now, six of which are 4 or 5 stars. One has already de-committed. I would wager by the end of the week the other five will as well.

OK, explain it to me. I'm reading it as they'll have scholarships reduced by 20 per year -- so they'll still have 65 kids on scholarship. That's still more than enough to compete.

As I said -- USC is competitive with 75 kids on scholarship. I find it hard to believe 10 scholarship kids (most of whom will never see the field in any given year) will cause Penn State to be non-competitive.

What did those 65 players on scholarship have to deal with the whole scandal? I guess everyone who says "We Are Penn State" is complicit in the scandal and cover up.

The NCAA is hammering the people who had zero, absolutley nothing to do with the scandal and coverup.

Here's a link to the punishment.
    I find it more of a punishment towards Paterno than the Univeristy and Football Program. All wins stripped from 1998 is aimed at Paterno. I thought the scholarship reduction was too light. IMO they should have stripped them of any scholarships for one year and then a gradual increase over five years depending on how they comply within the handling of the football program. Reduction of scholarships will hurt them but won't be catostrophic.
    The monetary is a lot but not anything Penn State can't overcome by just putting on huge fundraising drive.
    The ban from bowl games will have an effect on recruiting. I doubt they will get top level players knowing that in the end they have no chance to play in a bowl or playoff game.

Overall I think they are lighter than they should be. But if Penn State was truly wanting to put things into prospective they would shut things down for a year or two right now. If anything just to think about what's more important, football or having good solid educational instititution that puts things in the proper order.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/pen...html?hpt=hp_t1
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    It will take at least 7-8 years for Penn State to be competitive again. That's no slap on the wrist.
    I tend to agree. This is a big blow to the ability for the program to be competitive.

Is their program still a money-making juggernaut? Yes. But they are going to take a big hit.

Just the hit they will take on recruiting will severely handicap their ability to be a top tier program for a long time. In the SEC, this type of penalty would be death by a thousand swords.

Is it enough in light of the reasons for the sanctions? I can see where reasonable people might argue otherwise. But there does seem to be alot of Penn State fans that are still in denial.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?