Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Could they fund 28 sports? Also, I'm guessing that Penn State's 1.5 billion is already spoken for. Penn State's non football and basketball sports cost $9.1 million (and that doesn't count the coaches salary, student aid (scholarships), recruiting, and game day experiences. I think they would pay for some of the sports, but without football, their athletic department would look a lot more like a MAC school.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2...-other-sports/

BTW, that website is really interesting. It has a line item account of OSUs football budget. It isn't nearly what you would think.
    Assuming it's the general endowment fund, no it isn't spoken for. In fact, many schools are criticized because they don't use their endowments toward anything other than as a a means of showing what an impressive school they are. It's said that many schools with
    endowments over 1 billion could allow students to attend for free or at greatly reduced rates just from a portion of the investment earnings on the endowment, but choose to reinvest those earnings instead. The only way donors can ensure their donations are being spent and not being held onto is by making a special purpose endowment, like toward a professorship, or in Paterno's case, the library. But special purpose endowments that come with restrictions on how the money is spent aren't usually considered part of the general endowment fund.

Penn State is rich enough to be able to fund their other sports without football and without becoming "a MAC school," although as I've noted above, there are MAC schools that compete for national championships without a big time football program.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I heard the library was going to stay named after Paterno just to make sure no one talks in there.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I heard the library was going to stay named after Paterno just to make sure no one talks in there.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post

30 PSU players came out today stating they would not transfer. O'Brien has done a good job so far of holding this group together all things considered. Reports have come in that the Illini sent asst coaches to camp out in front of where the kids stay on campus, while other coaches are calling players directly without going through PSU first.

PSU also will not send any players to Big 10 media day as well.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    30 PSU players came out today stating they would not transfer. O'Brien has done a good job so far of holding this group together all things considered. Reports have come in that the Illini sent asst coaches to camp out in front of where the kids stay on campus, while other coaches are calling players directly without going through PSU first.

PSU also will not send any players to Big 10 media day as well.
    As I said -- the "doom and gloom" about Penn State football is grossly overstated. They'll emerge from the other side of this just fine.

Disappointing to see that a 4 year "death penalty" was on the table prior to these toothless sanctions were put in place.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    As I said -- the "doom and gloom" about Penn State football is grossly overstated. They'll emerge from the other side of this just fine.

Disappointing to see that a 4 year "death penalty" was on the table prior to these toothless sanctions were put in place.
    Most of the kids staying are juniors and seniors who have something invested into the program, and their classes, no way were they going to transfer. The big hit will come when PSU starts losing out on 4 and 5 star kids that they have recruited for 2013 and beyond.

The BOT at PSU was very upset with Erickson (PSU's president) for signing off on this deal. The board felt that since Erickson didn't inform them of the deal and they were kept in the dark. The Board had wanted to get this decision that the President made overturned. Erickson came out today and stated the NCAA wanted to shut down the entire football program for 4 yrs, (basically a 4 yr death penalty). Erickson declined to sign on for that due to the financial impact it would cost not only the county but the State and instead took the deal that was offered next which was the current one in place.

This is the story on the 4 year death penalty that a group of college presidents had originally recommended as the punishment:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...-death-penalty

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Mike Mauti PSU LB speaks about the NCAA's free agency rules for PSU players:

Many of the players have already decided to stay, as Penn State coach Bill O'Brien said Thursday he expects more than 50 players, so far, to return for 2012.

But that has not stopped programs from launching aggressive recruiting efforts.

Mauti, the son of former Penn State player, Rich Mauti, is also upset that the NCAA has set up this system of college free agency for Lions.

"For them [the NCAA] to say that it's helping us, for them to say that they're doing us a service by allowing us to transfer with no rules, is -- I'm going to choose my word carefully -- it's a joke,'' Mauti said Thursday afternoon here at the Big Ten meetings.

"It's an absolute joke. There's been coaches hounding our players, like, 10-12 calls a day. 'Come out and visit, come here'. [They're] on our campus, outside of our apartments, outside of our classrooms.

"To me, it just doesn't seem right. Even some coaches from this conference. … If I'm a competitor, I don't care what school you're from. If you're from any school, or any conference, I gotta problem with that.''
    A lot of players have commented on being harrassed consistently even after they have said no to these opposing coaches. Is this what the NCAA is heading for in the future. Obviously PSU is a different animal, but I could see the NCAA opening up recruitment.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 07-27-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mauti is, and I am not going to choose my words so carefully, a joke, if he thinks allowing those players to transfer is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mauti is, and I am not going to choose my words so carefully, a joke, if he thinks allowing those players to transfer is a joke.
    I could be wrong, but I think his problem is more with the hounding and the way the other coaches are going about it. I can see his point on that. If the players want to leave they can always contact other schools, but having open season where they can be recruited again is probably annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think it was more of a statement that the NCAA choosing to allow players to be free agency as a service to the players being a joke. I can see his point. It doesn't make the process good or bad, but I don't think it's done to benefit the players.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Yeah I don't know how you get joke from Mauti's statement. He is clearly sticking up for his fellow players. It clearly says he is not happy that coaches can harrass PSU players non stop from morning to night. One player has gotten 10-12 offers from other schools even after he said he was going to stay with Penn State. Ohio State and Wisconsin have each stated they would not get involved in the frenzy unless a player reached out to them specifically. Kudos to those two schools and coaches.

The NCAA stated they wanted to get back to education but they are willing to let kids leave mid semester, that's got to be great for a kids education.

Turn Off Ads?