Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Sea Ray spot on with another one.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...led-facts?lite

2. Turn Off Ads?

Paterno was clearly more interested in preserving his legacy than helping children. And that's disturbing, to say the least.

Didn't we know this all along, though? The three administrators and Paterno knew and covered it up because of potential (and actual) bad publicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Yes, we knew this all along, those who don't want to see things badly enough find ways to keep themselves in the dark.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    It gets back to evidence Dom. If new facts come to the table that show that Paterno knew that this guy was a pedophile then I'll agree with you that he deserves whatever gets thrown at him, but unlike you I need those facts and we sure didn't have them last fall

From the bits and pieces I've read in the Freeh report it's really really bad. I can't begin to imagine how many Clery Act violations the school will face, and what the possible punishments from that will be.

Like looking the other way wasn't bad enough, they even covered it up. Disgusting.

Yeah, those thinking it will all wind up falling on the shoulders of Paterno as a "scapegoat" are way off, IMO. That implies others won't carry their fair share of the responsibility. This will forever paint JoePa and a really bad guy, but that will not have any impact on the others who knew and covered up. There's more than enough scorn to go around to think because JoePa gets painted a certain way, then others somehow will be let off the hook. This report is going to be VERY bad for a lot of people.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Spanier never declared Sandusky a “persona non grata” on Penn State campuses, as he did toward a sports agent who, before the 1997 Citrus Bowl, bought $400 worth of clothing for a Penn State football player. Spanier was very aggressive in that case170 and banned the agent from campus. Spanier said the agent “fooled around with the integrity of the university, and I wonʹt stand for that.” 171 The University conducted its own investigation, and provided the results to law enforcement.172 In an email dated May 13, 1998, Spanier said, “The idea is to keep [the sports agent] off campus permanently, to keep him away from current athletes, and to keep him away from current graduates or students whose eligibility has recently expired.”
    Potential NCAA violation? Permaban

Potential felonies being committed? Shhhhhhhhhh

The more I read the worse it gets.

Hmm...looks like CNN report was right. Who ever would've guessed it

Just copy this over and over for the cultists
    "Based on the evidence, the only known, intervening factor between the decision made on February 25, 2001 by Messrs. Spanier, Curley and Schulz to report the incident to the Department of Public Welfare, and then agreeing not to do so on February 27th, was Mr. Paterno’s February 26th conversation with Mr. Curley."
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 07-12-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It gets back to evidence Dom. If new facts come to the table that show that Paterno knew that this guy was a pedophile then I'll agree with you that he deserves whatever gets thrown at him, but unlike you I need those facts and we sure didn't have them last fall
    Huh? The report pretty clearly details what Paterno and the three others knew, both in 1998 and in 2001. Their failure to act on that information should bring all three surviving men and Paterno's estate under both criminal and civil scrutiny. Morally, it's pretty open and shut case.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Huh? The report pretty clearly details what Paterno and the three others knew, both in 1998 and in 2001. Their failure to act on that information should bring all three surviving men and Paterno's estate under both criminal and civil scrutiny. Morally, it's pretty open and shut case.
    I tend to agree but we didn't have this information in November. I'd like to hear Paterno's take on it but that ain't happenin'. Seems to me that Paterno was in on the decision not to report it and that's a big screw up on his part. He's not going to have to serve the sentences of his superiors though. They haven't even begun to pay for their part in this. This nightmare is just beginning for them

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Paterno was clearly more interested in preserving his legacy than helping children. And that's disturbing, to say the least.
    He deserves every bit of scorn that can be levied his way.

So, too, do the rest of them.

Paterno was a horrid little man with no sense of decency or honor, as evidence by his conversations with other Penn State officials and his complicit behavior to cover up Sandusky's crimes.

Obviously, Sandusky is worse, as he committed the crimes. But Paterno is close.

Those that have insisted, in the past, that he's some bastion of integrity, have some serious egg on their faces.

Penn State should also receive the death penalty, IMO. Football coaches covering up crimes this serous with no thought given to anything other than PR?

The NCAA is there to protect the integrity of their fellow institutions. This is the most heinous integrity issue the sports world has perhaps ever seen.

This should be a wake up call for investing so much adoration and power in the hands of a coach. College coaches are often the most powerful individual on a campus (with Joe probably being the biggest example of that in recent memory).

I remember when the story first broke, watching ESPN break down the adoration of Joe and how that may have blinded the people working around him as well as the Joe himself. They were televising the Penn State fans protesting in support of Joe. They then seemlessly transitioned into an show starring Nick Saban that followed him as he coached, helped the community (after the Tuscaloosa hurricane), and then did an interview in his opulent office where he played the all knowing father figure role. It was the height of irony and cognitive dissonance.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Paterno's legacy might look different to a lot of people now, but it doesn't to the students. He's still a hero in their eyes. They would probably start a riot if his statue was torn down. There's a cardboard cutout of that little weasel in every window on that campus.

That kind of blind idolatry is unfathomable to me.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I remember when the story first broke, watching ESPN break down the adoration of Joe and how that may have blinded the people working around him as well as the Joe himself. They were televising the Penn State fans protesting in support of Joe. They then seemlessly transitioned into an show starring Nick Saban that followed him as he coached, helped the community (after the Tuscaloosa hurricane), and then did an interview in his opulent office where he played the all knowing father figure role. It was the height of irony and cognitive dissonance.
    Awesome point. I remember watching the office interview and thinking "I wonder if anyone at ESPN gets the irony in all this?"
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?