Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

I don't understand why some think the football program alone deserves punishment, seems top to bottom PSU is in the wrong.

The big 10+2 should give them the boot.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It gets back to evidence Dom. If new facts come to the table that show that Paterno knew that this guy was a pedophile then I'll agree with you that he deserves whatever gets thrown at him, but unlike you I need those facts and we sure didn't have them last fall
    If new facts come to the table? Can you read?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't understand why some think the football program alone deserves punishment, seems top to bottom PSU is in the wrong.

The big 10+2 should give them the boot.
    The University prioritized maintaining the Joe Paterno legacy -- the "legendary" coach that raised money from boosters and brought home prized recruits to play in front of the sold-out stadiums -- over protecting innocent children, following the law, and doing the right thing.

The Big 10+2 should absolutely give them the boot and the NCAA should absolutely give the football program the death penalty.

As far as I'm concerned, every dime that program has taken in since the initial cover-up happened is blood money -- earned by men who were living a lie and allowing others to be irreparably harmed to protect that lie.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Can you read? He was saying that last fall, when it broke, that he needed to know those facts and that they weren't there at the time.

Hasn't Sandusky already been convicted? If so, can't we drop the "alleged"?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Can you read? He was saying that last fall, when it broke, that he needed to know those facts and that they weren't there at the time.
    It's hard to parse what he's saying because the first half of the sentence and the second don't line up.

If I'd defended Paterno through this I'd probably just keep quiet at this point, honestly.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Sure. I go where the facts lead me. I gave Paterno the benefit of the doubt and took him at his word. I think he deserved that. Now there's very little doubt left to give him the benefit of. The facts sure seem to point to two troubling things where Paterno's concerned:

1) He knew about the 1998 incident despite his comments to the contrary

2) It seems as though he was in on the decision not to report the McQueary incident

We didn't know these facts in November

I also gave Pete Rose the benefit of the doubt in betting on baseball until he accepted Bart's lifetime ban. At that point I had the evidence I needed to conclude that he bet on baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's hard to parse what he's saying because the first half of the sentence and the second don't line up.

If I'd defended Paterno through this I'd probably just keep quiet at this point, honestly.
    No, Doug gets it. I base my opinion on facts and the facts now sure seem to point to Paterno's "guilt" in all of this. If more facts come to light we need to take those into consideration and that's exactly what happened here

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The University prioritized maintaining the Joe Paterno legacy -- the "legendary" coach that raised money from boosters and brought home prized recruits to play in front of the sold-out stadiums -- over protecting innocent children, following the law, and doing the right thing.

The Big 10+2 should absolutely give them the boot and the NCAA should absolutely give the football program the death penalty.

As far as I'm concerned, every dime that program has taken in since the initial cover-up happened is blood money -- earned by men who were living a lie and allowing others to be irreparably harmed to protect that lie.
    There's also the competitive aspect. My guess is PSU will fall below Norhwestern and will become the weak sister in the Big Ten. Does the Big Ten really want another Temple on their schedule?

There's no defending Paterno and Penn State. It's quite obvious they knew what was going and had conspired to coverup what was happening. I just can't fathom how anyone can protect someone like Sandusky knowing what he had done and was still doing until the day he was arrested. It just boggles the mind.
    Penn State University may have trouble staying afloat not to mention the football program. You know they are going to have pay millions in damages to the victims and come under constant scrutiny for any funds the Feds may issue them. I would assume by all these crimes that they may not qualify for at least some Federal funding.
    I am also coming to the conclusion that the football program should be shut down for a period of time. At least one year, probably more. It was because the football program had gotten so big and powerful that all this was allowed to occur. No program,whether it's sports or academics, should be so powerful that it alone rules the University.
    I thought I had become to old to be shocked ny anything that happens nowdays. But with all the unfolding of the facts to this case I have been just utterly shocked by how callous the powers in charge of Penn State acted. This has to be the biggest sports related scandal in history. There's not much that could top this.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    There's no defending Paterno and Penn State. It's quite obvious they knew what was going and had conspired to coverup what was happening. I just can't fathom how anyone can protect someone like Sandusky knowing what he had done and was still doing until the day he was arrested. It just boggles the mind.
    Penn State University may have trouble staying afloat not to mention the football program. You know they are going to have pay millions in damages to the victims and come under constant scrutiny for any funds the Feds may issue them. I would assume by all these crimes that they may not qualify for at least some Federal funding.
    I am also coming to the conclusion that the football program should be shut down for a period of time. At least one year, probably more. It was because the football program had gotten so big and powerful that all this was allowed to occur. No program,whether it's sports or academics, should be so powerful that it alone rules the University.
    I thought I had become to old to be shocked ny anything that happens nowdays. But with all the unfolding of the facts to this case I have been just utterly shocked by how callous the powers in charge of Penn State acted. This has to be the biggest sports related scandal in history. There's not much that could top this.
    The only person I saw yesterday that defended him was his son, Jay and that doesn't boggle the mind

The only person I saw yesterday that defended him was his son, Jay and that doesn't boggle the mind
    I saw that. The family is the only one defending him and I can understand that. But they just need to keep quiet.
    What I meant b y mind boggling is how someone like Paterno and the rest of those in power could keep trying to protect Sandusky knowing what he had done and was continuing to do.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I bet if it was one of his beloved grandkids getting raped by that monster he would have handled things a wee bit differently.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You must have missed where Matt Millen was sticking up for him. I won't go as far as saying defending him, but saying that there is more to Joe Paterno than this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You must have missed where Matt Millen was sticking up for him. I won't go as far as saying defending him, but saying that there is more to Joe Paterno than this incident.
    Millen honestly makes me sick with his p ussyfooting around this subject. (P ussyfooting is a word in the dictionary, word filter needs to be adjusted, lol)

If you really want to make yourself feel nauseous, check out the Penn State Rivals or Scout board.

Turn Off Ads?