Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Penn State basketball earned 9.48 million this season (8 of which came from the Big Ten/NCAA). That is the only other team on campus to make money.

http://thegazette.com/2012/07/22/a-l...etic-finances/
    Which is why they shouldn't play other sports. If your sport can't support itself, either through fundraising or ticket/tv sales, it should not exist in college.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Which is why they shouldn't play other sports. If your sport can't support itself, either through fundraising or ticket/tv sales, it should not exist in college.
    Really? Should universities cancel every extra-curricular on campus that doesn't turn a profit?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

It's tough to argue that colleges should drop any sport that doesn't make money on one hand and decry the NCAA for being all about money on the other....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Really? Should universities cancel every extra-curricular on campus that doesn't turn a profit?
    Yes, they should. Higher education should be about that. Tuition is sky freaking high these days. Focus on educating. Cut costs where you can.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, they should. Higher education should be about that. Tuition is sky freaking high these days. Focus on educating. Cut costs where you can.
    So all education takes place in the class room? Students don't learn anything from participating in sports or other activities that are causing such a drain on the budgets? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    So all education takes place in the class room? Students don't learn anything from participating in sports or other activities that are causing such a drain on the budgets? Interesting.
    No, all education doesn't take place in a classroom. But I would rather see the tens of millions of dollars that some football programs run be turned into usage for lowering tuition for students rather than going toward supporting a bunch of sports that lose money left and right because 'it is fair'.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The football program funds the entire Penn State athletic program. If the football players themselves have nothing to do with the scandal, then the Volleyball team has even less to do with it. The Death Penalty for football would eliminate not just those 85 scholarships, but probably hundreds of other scholarships as well as coaching jobs, etc... I actually think the penalties are about right.
    BS.

The NCAA could have conditioned a reinstatement of the football program from suspension on Penn State continuing to fund all non-revenue sports.

The university has an endowment north of $1.5 billion and a huge donating alumni base. They'd have paid up for the volleyball team if it meant they could have their football team back as quickly as possible.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The football program funds the entire Penn State athletic program. If the football players themselves have nothing to do with the scandal, then the Volleyball team has even less to do with it. The Death Penalty for football would eliminate not just those 85 scholarships, but probably hundreds of other scholarships as well as coaching jobs, etc... I actually think the penalties are about right.
    Then we have the "Well, we can do anything here in the football program because all these people depend on us" type thing, which seems to be what happened.

To me, you put an end to them for awhile and then everyone else suffers, and then they can make sure that when they fire things back up, they behave themselves now that they realize the damage they've done.

Perhaps this punishment is worse than the death penalty- I'm not an NCAA guy, so you all probably know better than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Then we have the "Well, we can do anything here in the football program because all these people depend on us" type thing, which seems to be what happened.

To me, you put an end to them for awhile and then everyone else suffers, and then they can make sure that when they fire things back up, they behave themselves now that they realize the damage they've done.

Perhaps this punishment is worse than the death penalty- I'm not an NCAA guy, so you all probably know better than I do.
    This.

Plus, this penalty worse than the death penalty? I'd take 65 scholarship kids playing and making money for the university vs. 0 scholarship kids and no games being played. This is peanuts compared to the death penalty.

I still think the football team doesn't fund the other sports as much as you think. Notice the article stated that the football surplus mostly goes toward maintenance and capital improvements. I suspect most of that goes to maintaining and improving the football facilities.

I live near the Universities of Akron and Kent State. Both have poor football teams, yet Akron was recently national champs in soccer and Kent went to the College World Series this year. Both schools not only built strong programs in other sports, but also had the money to outbid bigger schools and keep their coaches. Football success is not a prerequisite for success in other sports.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This.

Plus, this penalty worse than the death penalty? I'd take 65 scholarship kids playing and making money for the university vs. 0 scholarship kids and no games being played. This is peanuts compared to the death penalty.
    It's really hard for me to follow college football because of how nutty the rules are.

The whole system stinks to high heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This.

I think your lust for blood and anger at PSU is clouding your judgement. If you ask 10 PSU fans what they would rather have current sanctions or the death penalty most would say the death penalty.

The death penalty would have allowed PSU and O'Brien to go to kids and say we are starting fresh after next year. He basically could use this season as a recruiting yr. This penalty guts the team as you are not only losing scholarships but allowing kids to transfer to any program they would like. The only kids who are going to stay with the program are the ones who are juniors or seniors this season. No kid is going to want to spend 4 yrs at a university that is consistently getting there helmets handed to them. I don't see PSU being remotely competitive until maybe 2025. Plus from the comments I hear coming from New PSU President Erickson the football program is going to be deemphasized going forward with an emphasis put on academics.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

From what I hear Emmert came to PSU and threatened the Death Penalty if PSU did not agree to the current sanctions. Plus Penn State had to waive due process in accepting these sanctions. Makes sense the more you think about because just 48 hrs ago the death penalty was on the table and then was quickly taken off as PSU agreed to what Emmert proposed. Looks like all of this happened pretty quickly as the President of the University only consulted with PSU's legal counsel and the President of the BOT and not the full board.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

This is the kind of punishment that should have been given to USCw and should be given to schools that get in trouble such as fsu and their academic fraud a few years ago.

The only thing I would have changed with Penn State's punishment would be a TV ban and all proceeds from ticket sales also being given to charity.

Somewhat surprised at the big10+2 keeping them around, but I've read they need them in next year as they expand into hockey. $
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I think your lust for blood and anger at PSU is clouding your judgement. If you ask 10 PSU fans what they would rather have current sanctions or the death penalty most would say the death penalty.

The death penalty would have allowed PSU and O'Brien to go to kids and say we are starting fresh after next year. He basically could use this season as a recruiting yr. This penalty guts the team as you are not only losing scholarships but allowing kids to transfer to any program they would like. The only kids who are going to stay with the program are the ones who are juniors or seniors this season. No kid is going to want to spend 4 yrs at a university that is consistently getting there helmets handed to them. I don't see PSU being remotely competitive until maybe 2025. Plus from the comments I hear coming from New PSU President Erickson the football program is going to be deemphasized going forward with an emphasis put on academics.
    At the end of the day:

1. They still play in the Big 10 w/ the Big 10 TV deal in place
    2. They still have fantastic facilities
    3. They still have an enormous donating alumni base.

They're losing a few scholarships. They'll still have 65 D-1, BCS-level athletes -- last I checked you only start 11 guys on offense and 11 guys on defense. It's not like they're going to turn into Ball State because of this. No one is bulldozing the facilities built by the money Paterno earned. The alums aren't going to close the checkbooks. They'll still win football games, they'll still sell out Beaver Stadium, and they'll still make money.

It's not like they were sniffing national titles before all this went down anyway. It'll be "business as usual" for Penn State this time a year from now, IMO. If they would've been banned from TV or kicked out of the Big 10, it would've been a different story.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 07-23-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Turn Off Ads?