Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Here is the skivy on how PSU transfers will be handled:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...20723/21207234

Here's a part that I did not expect:

Additionally, the NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limits for programs to which these football student-athletes transfer, provided they reduce proportionately in the next year. For example, the limit is 25 new scholarships per year to a total of 85 scholarships. If the limits are waived in 2012-13 to accommodate one Penn State student-athlete who wishes to transfer to a particular school already at the limits, in 2013-14 the school will be limited to 24 new scholarships and 84 total scholarships.
    Essentially the NCAA opened up the Penn State program to unfettered recruiting. I expected underclassman and players who have signed LOIs to be poached but the NCAA is providing a mechanism for programs to make room for upperclassman too.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's amazing how one person can be the first domino to take down a gigantic program.

It's almost impossible to believe if it wasn't true.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I think they would have been competitive sooner with the death penalty. This type of scholarship reduction will impact teams 8 years down the road. I don't see them ever recovering from this and I don't see how the Big Ten can keep them around. With the timing of the playoff and conference realignment, they need another good program.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think they would have been competitive sooner with the death penalty. This type of scholarship reduction will impact teams 8 years down the road. I don't see them ever recovering from this and I don't see how the Big Ten can keep them around. With the timing of the playoff and conference realignment, they need another good program.
    This is a blow for the conference too.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Penn St doesn't have a shot at being good at football for at least 7 years and probably more like 10. They are basically going to field a walk on squad for the next 3 to 5 years.

To jojo's last post I do think the Big 10 has to seriously consider expanding again. Kicking out Penn St might be a little harsh, but they are an anchor in more ways than one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This is a blow for the conference too.
    I wonder if the Big10 is considering talking to schools they talked to in the past to replace PSU.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    And, for some further "loss of faith in humanity" -- watch how fast the donations pile into Penn State as alums show solidarity with the program and watch how quickly they pay this fine off.
    I wouldn't consider donations pouring into Penn State at this point a loss in faith of humanity. Money will either be going to child sex abuse victims or helping the current student-athletes, who had nothing to do with the crimes, move forward and have quality collegiate experiences.

I think Penn State will be back sooner than people think. I'd say Bill O'Brien now has the safest job in college football. Get paid big bucks with absolutely zero expectations.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I wonder if the Big10 is considering talking to schools they talked to in the past to replace PSU.
    So far the Big Ten has not announced any plans to replace PSU. The conference did announce a few additional sanctions the main one being the conference won't share any bowl revenue from the other Big Ten schools with Penn State over the next 4 years.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...caa-sanctions-

So, the $60M to a fund for preventing sexual abuse of children is a good thing. But I honestly don't get what the rest of the punishment is supposed to accomplish.

If you want to shut them down, then do that. And frankly, I think they should have. But I just don't get this punishmet.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I wouldn't consider donations pouring into Penn State at this point a loss in faith of humanity. Money will either be going to child sex abuse victims or helping the current student-athletes, who had nothing to do with the crimes, move forward and have quality collegiate experiences.
    I believe the loss of faith in humanity would come from the motives of the donations, not the outcomes.

I think Penn State will be back sooner than people think. I'd say Bill O'Brien now has the safest job in college football. Get paid big bucks with absolutely zero expectations.
    I guess it would be helpful to define what people mean by "back". Do you mean back to being a Big 10 title contender who on occasion is in the National Title picture or back to winning seasons and a trip to the Outback Bowl? In the last decade PSU has been much more of the latter than the former. With the right coach (maybe O'Brien is that guy) I could see getting back to the 7-9 win level in six years. But it is going to take at least 8-10 to have a chance to become what Penn State was in the '70s and '80s.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So, the $60M to a fund for preventing sexual abuse of children is a good thing. But I honestly don't get what the rest of the punishment is supposed to accomplish.
    It lets the NCAA act tough while letting the Big 10 keep Penn State on their schedules.

As far as Penn State is concerned, they get to keep selling 100,000+ tickets to games and they get to continue not being the Big 10 champions for a few more years.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The football program funds the entire Penn State athletic program. If the football players themselves have nothing to do with the scandal, then the Volleyball team has even less to do with it. The Death Penalty for football would eliminate not just those 85 scholarships, but probably hundreds of other scholarships as well as coaching jobs, etc... I actually think the penalties are about right.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

If you want to shut them down, then do that. And frankly, I think they should have. But I just don't get this punishmet.
    I think it's a death penalty without the NCAA having to take responsibility for it being a death penalty.

Penn State will be bad for at least the next 8 years. And at that point who is to say if they will ever recover. 8 years is a long time and a lot to come back from.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    The football program funds the entire Penn State athletic program. If the football players themselves have nothing to do with the scandal, then the Volleyball team has even less to do with it. The Death Penalty for football would eliminate not just those 85 scholarships, but probably hundreds of other scholarships as well as coaching jobs, etc... I actually think the penalties are about right.
    I don't buy that argument. There are plenty of universities with great programs in other sports with no football team, or a very bad one. Honestly, I think most big football schools end up pouring much of their revenue back into the program through facility upgrades and salaries to big name coaches.

Penn St can still do well in basketball or volleyball without a major football team.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't buy that argument. There are plenty of universities with great programs in other sports with no football team, or a very bad one. Honestly, I think most big football schools end up pouring much of their revenue back into the program through facility upgrades and salaries to big name coaches.

Penn St can still do well in basketball or volleyball without a major football team.
    Penn State basketball earned 9.48 million this season (8 of which came from the Big Ten/NCAA). That is the only other team on campus to make money.

http://thegazette.com/2012/07/22/a-l...etic-finances/
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Turn Off Ads?