Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mauti is, and I am not going to choose my words so carefully, a joke, if he thinks allowing those players to transfer is a joke.
    Allowing the players to transfer is okay, but the NCAA is a joke for allowing the players to transfer, but not putting any restrictions on coaches flocking to Penn State like sharks at a feeding frenzy.

This should be the players' decision only, and there should not be coaches contacting and harassing these guys.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Allowing the players to transfer is okay, but the NCAA is a joke for allowing the players to transfer, but not putting any restrictions on coaches flocking to Penn State like sharks at a feeding frenzy.

This should be the players' decision only, and there should not be coaches contacting and harassing these guys.
    I'm not sure what any restrictions for other coaches in this situation would look like nor do I think it would be possible to monitor and enforce such restrictions.

If the student-athletes don't want to be hounded, tell the coaches to stop or block their numbers. The coaches will learn incessant hounding isn't the best recruiting strategy.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So a player has to go through each and every team in the country's depth chart and try to watch tape to see if they are better than the guys there and then contact that coach to see if they are interested?

So a player has to go through each and every team in the country's depth chart and try to watch tape to see if they are better than the guys there and then contact that coach to see if they are interested?
    These guys were all recruited by multiple teams. They know who to contact and how to contact them, if they want to transfer at all. NCAA rules prohibit coaches from other schools from directly contacting kids enrolled at Penn State. I wonder if the NCAA will be punishing the schools that have and will break that rule.

These guys were all recruited by multiple teams. They know who to contact and how to contact them, if they want to transfer at all. NCAA rules prohibit coaches from other schools from directly contacting kids enrolled at Penn State. I wonder if the NCAA will be punishing the schools that have and will break that rule.
    Pretty sure that coaches are allowed to contact the Penn State guys.

Pretty sure that coaches are allowed to contact the Penn State guys.
    Here's the actual rule according to a NY Times article ... they can contact them, with permission ... until classes start:

The N.C.A.A. has stipulated that other programs must notify Penn State of their interest in a player, and that a player must request permission to seek a transfer. If those conditions have been met, teams may travel anywhere to visit a player, or call the players at any time — both of which would normally be against N.C.A.A. rules — until Penn State’s first day of classes on Aug. 27.

Well then in that case, they should be investigating the coaches/teams who violated the rules.

Here's the actual rule according to a NY Times article ... they can contact them, with permission ... until classes start:
    To comply with the terms that the NCAA established for PSU football players, all a program has to do it tell PSU they are interested in a player. Permission to interact with that player is not required from either PSU or the player.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think they should allow the PSU players to recommit to the University. Once the student athlete does that than they are off the board as far as transferring goes. This may cut down on harrassment claims.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Grumblings coming from how the Freeh report was used.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...f-freeh-report

I did not have an issue with using the report by the NCAA, however I did have an issue with this being the only evidence the NCAA used to sanction PSU. Basically PSU ended up paying 6.5 million to invesitigate itself and have the NCAA impose sanctions. I think the NCAA should always have it's investigative body follow up with any claim, as they may have uncovered more in this mess or less.

Rumor has it fomer AD Tim Curley has been moved into hospice care. Curley has been battling lung cancer for some time now. Curley is the person who wrote the infamous email in which he changes his mind after talking it over with Joe.

I was looking forward to hearing his version of events, we now may never know with 100% accuracy what really went down.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Grumblings coming from how the Freeh report was used.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...f-freeh-report

I did not have an issue with using the report by the NCAA, however I did have an issue with this being the only evidence the NCAA used to sanction PSU. Basically PSU ended up paying 6.5 million to invesitigate itself and have the NCAA impose sanctions. I think the NCAA should always have it's investigative body follow up with any claim, as they may have uncovered more in this mess or less.
    Considering how lightly Penn State got off, they should feel fortunate that the NCAA didn't launch an investigation, which might have dragged this whole process out an additional year, before levying sanctions.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Considering how lightly Penn State got off, they should feel fortunate that the NCAA didn't launch an investigation, which might have dragged this whole process out an additional year, before levying sanctions.
    Compared to a 4 yr death penalty, indeed. But we will never know what the NCAA invesitigation would have found out good, or bad because Penn State was not given due process by the NCAA. I don't think the NCAA should get used to the practice of not fully investigating issues that they impose sanctions on.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Rumor has it fomer AD Tim Curley has been moved into hospice care. Curley has been battling lung cancer for some time now. Curley is the person who wrote the infamous email in which he changes his mind after talking it over with Joe.

I was looking forward to hearing his version of events, we now may never know with 100% accuracy what really went down.
    According to sources inside the program Curley is still under going treatment for cancer and is not in hospice.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ions-sanctions

Jerry Sandusky is upset over the sanctions against Penn State.

Attorney Joe Amendola told The Associated Press in a phone interview that Sandusky told him that even if people believe he is guilty of the crimes for which he was convicted in June, it would be "ridiculous" to think Penn State administrators engaged in a cover-up.

Turn Off Ads?