Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Teams are punished all of the time for actions not involving the football players, but the administration or coaches doing something.
    True...but 99% of the time, those actions taken by the coaches or administration have something to do with an on-the-field competitive advantage.

The PSU case is pretty unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Shutting down the program doesn't penalize the players. It penalizes the university. Every one of those players could easily go play someplace else. Not being able to play college football at all would be penalizing the players. Not being able to play for Penn State is not punishment. It may be inconvenient, but it doesn't keep them from being able to play the sports and earn a college degree.

The university and program are responsible for this, and they should have been punished in accordance to how atrocious it was that they let it happen after they knew about it, and for creating the type of culture that allowed it to get swept under the rug. You punish the university and the program by taking away the thing that was so precious to them that it caused them to put that thing above something as obvious as protecting children from a pedophile. To me, that was the only real choice. I wouldn't have been opposed to the school itself being shut down as well, but I think taking away the football program was the least they should have done.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

4. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (01-23-2015),Dom Heffner (01-22-2015),dougdirt (01-22-2015),HeatherC1212 (01-28-2015),KronoRed (01-22-2015),LoganBuck (01-24-2015),nmculbreth (01-22-2015),paintmered (01-22-2015),RedFanAlways1966 (01-24-2015),REDREAD (08-18-2015),The Operator (01-30-2015),Tom Servo (01-22-2015)

I still oppose taking victories away years after the fact. The wins happened.
    However imposing the death penalty as was done to SMU makes a great deal of sense to me. As MWM noted, the death penalty hits the university, not current players who had nothing to do with Sandusky, et al. In this regard the penalty imposed upon PSU was too light.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Did the Penn State football team rape a bunch of children?

I am trying to establish the protocol and boundary of support for shutting an entire program down.

We're talking about a criminal action here. Not NCAA infractions. It's a fair question.
    How does covering up a child rapist to protect the football team not count as 'lack of institutional control'?
    Go Gators!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Name:  bts1.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  12.6 KB

This is what the NCAA meeting was like...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

True...but 99% of the time, those actions taken by the coaches or administration have something to do with an on-the-field competitive advantage.

Covering it up led to a lack of punishments to the football program, which led directly to an on the field advantage.

Not really. Let's use tOSU as an example. Those players that got the free and/or discounted tattoos has nothing to do whether they can win games. It's just a benefit of being a football player. The real "crime" was Tressel covering it up. Players who get money and/or gifts from boosters doesn't give a team a competitive advantage. It's just an extra benefit. That's really what most violations are: extra benefits that regular students don't get. If some auto dealership in Columbus wants to give football and basketball players free rides, there's nothing stopping a dealership in Ann Arbor or Iowa City or Minneapolis from doing the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I still oppose taking victories away years after the fact. The wins happened.
    However imposing the death penalty as was done to SMU makes a great deal of sense to me. As MWM noted, the death penalty hits the university, not current players who had nothing to do with Sandusky, et al. In this regard the penalty imposed upon PSU was too light.
    Taking victories away does nothing to help the kids. It just makes some frustrated folks feel better that something was done. I understand the temptation to "do something" on this but there's not much that can or needs to be done now. The perpetrator is in jail for life. The head coach is dead. I agree with the NCAA's recent action; time to move on

11. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (01-24-2015),Revering4Blue (01-23-2015),villain612 (01-23-2015)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I still feel the university was penalized for things that did not involve the NCAA's realm of focus. The bigger out cry should have come from the B1G, kicked their arsz's out of the conference. Then the rest of the Power 5, could have followed suit...don't let them in. Penn State would have been relegated to playing either as an independent or a conference that has no title hopes. Let the victories stand, but the "mystique" of Penn State football would have fell off the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not really. Let's use tOSU as an example. Those players that got the free and/or discounted tattoos has nothing to do whether they can win games. It's just a benefit of being a football player. The real "crime" was Tressel covering it up. Players who get money and/or gifts from boosters doesn't give a team a competitive advantage. It's just an extra benefit. That's really what most violations are: extra benefits that regular students don't get. If some auto dealership in Columbus wants to give football and basketball players free rides, there's nothing stopping a dealership in Ann Arbor or Iowa City or Minneapolis from doing the same.
    In regards to Ohio State's violation, had Tressel reported the extra benefits as he was supposed to, then Pryor and the other players would've been suspended and missed games. So lying about it (or not reporting it) gave them the on-the-field advantage of having those players being able to play when they shouldn't have been able to. Vacating those wins actually makes sense in that case.
    Last edited by villain612; 01-23-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Covering it up led to a lack of punishments to the football program, which led directly to an on the field advantage.
    It's a weird situation.

When the 2001 incident occurred, Sandusky was no longer on the PSU coaching staff. He was a retiree who had access to the school's facilities and still had involvement with the 2nd Mile organization. Would reporting him to the cops then been a detriment to the football team? Maybe. It's possible I guess. To me, after reading the report, it reeked of JoePa and a few others covering for a an old friend of 30+ years (and JoePa's right hand man) than it did of protecting the football program. Regardless of motivation, still some messed up stuff.
    Last edited by villain612; 01-23-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Bumping for the yearly reminder that Penn State -- an athletic department that hid a child rapist for decades and allowed him to victimize innocent children so they could protect the reputation of their football program and head coach -- are about to kick off another year of football.

After their "devastating" sanctions 3 years ago, they're projected just outside the Top-25 (32) and picked to finish 3rd in the Big 10 + 2. http://athlonsports.com/college-foot...15-predictions

Viva la Cover Up.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

16. Likes:

Chip R (08-17-2015),Dom Heffner (08-17-2015),Hypnotoad (08-18-2015),marcshoe (08-17-2015),nmculbreth (08-18-2015),Razor Shines (08-17-2015),REDREAD (08-18-2015),The Operator (08-17-2015),Tom Servo (08-17-2015)

Anyone else watching Hard Knocks think Bill O'Brien comes off like a complete tool?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

18. Likes:

Razor Shines (08-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Anyone else watching Hard Knocks think Bill O'Brien comes off like a complete tool?
    Good heavens, yes! Makes me wonder if he's always this annoying or if he's just being extra hammy for the cameras. At one point I swear he looked at the camera, realized he hadn't dropped an F bomb in 3 or 4 minutes and immediately inserted one.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I am generally a Marvin Lewis fan, so take this with that in mind, but O'Brien's Hard Knocks appearance vs. Marvin's makes Marvin look amazingly competent and in control.

I was not overly impressed with O'Brien run at Penn State and this is kind of reinforcing that.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?