Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Penn State asked the Catholic Church for advice.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

BillDoran (05-15-2016),cumberlandreds (05-10-2016),Hoosier Red (05-09-2016),RFS62 (06-04-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    President of Penn State is not interested in re-visting any of this

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pe...-idUSKCN0XZ0SI
    So because Penn State doesn't wanna talk about it we should just let it drop?

Pretty clear the culture of "Football Program = Bigger Than God" at Penn State hasn't changed, it oozed from every word of that statement. I mean, come on:

None of the fresh allegations, which threaten to reopen a scandal that rocked the school's vaunted football program and college sports in general

"Please - don't bring something up that would look bad on our VAUNTED program!!!!!!!!!!"

This is why they should have gotten the death penalty. They valued the football program and the revenue it generates more than the safety and security and lives of children. Clearly, they still don't understand that there are things on earth more important than football.

It's pathetic.
    Last edited by The Operator; 05-15-2016 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-24-2016),BillDoran (05-15-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    So because Penn State doesn't wanna talk about it we should just let it drop?

Pretty clear the culture of "Football Program = Bigger Than God" at Penn State hasn't changed, it oozed from every word of that statement. I mean, come on:

"Please - don't bring something up that would look bad on our VAUNTED program!!!!!!!!!!"

This is why they should have gotten the death penalty. They valued the football program and the revenue it generates more than the safety and security and lives of children. Clearly, they still don't understand that there are things on earth more important than football.

It's pathetic.
    You want to keep saying over and over again that it's pathetic, disgusting or whatever word you want to put on it, fine. Be my guest, but we've heard it all before. You're just repeating the same old, same old. My point is this:

Nothing's going to change. Paterno's dead. Sandusky's in prison for the rest of his life. There's a new administration in charge at PSU. Nobody's getting kicked out of the Big Ten. Nothing more is going to come of this (from the fan's perspective).

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-21-2016)

You want to keep saying over and over again that it's pathetic, disgusting or whatever word you want to put on it, fine. Be my guest, but we've heard it all before. You're just repeating the same old, same old. My point is this:

Nothing's going to change. Paterno's dead. Sandusky's in prison for the rest of his life. There's a new administration in charge at PSU. Nobody's getting kicked out of the Big Ten. Nothing more is going to come of this (from the fan's perspective).
    So we should stop trying to figure out what happened?

You can disregard the new information. Not sure it's your position to dictate what others should or should not be interested in. I think the public learning about the claims from the 70s is quite noteworthy (nevermind the effort of the university to try to sweep it under the rug).

And here is my point:

They got a slap on the wrist and it's tragic, especially as more and more information is coming to light. Your "stop talking about it, the university doesn't want us to!" stance is odd to me.

Why exactly are you defending them? They dug their own hole. The NCAA may not give a crap since, ya know, there's money to be had - but that doesn't mean the court of public opinion has to just shrug and let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    So we should stop trying to figure out what happened?

You can disregard the new information. Not sure it's your position to dictate what others should or should not be interested in. I think the public learning about the claims from the 70s is quite noteworthy (nevermind the effort of the university to try to sweep it under the rug).
    That's fine to learn about what happened, just don't expect new sanctions to be levied against PSU

And here is my point:

They got a slap on the wrist and it's tragic, especially as more and more information is coming to light. Your "stop talking about it, the university doesn't want us to!" stance is odd to me.

Why exactly are you defending them? They dug their own hole. The NCAA may not give a crap since, ya know, there's money to be had - but that doesn't mean the court of public opinion has to just shrug and let it go.
    I have no dog in this hunt. I'm not defending anyone. I'm stating that the NCAA and the Big Ten already know the facts of this case and they disagree with you that the death penalty is warranted. I think I know there reasons but I won't go into them here 'cause that'd be merely speculation.

If you disagree with me and have some inkling that the NCAA or the Big Ten is considering further sanctions then I'd like to see what you've got.

FWIW, the NCAA said if they had to do it all over again SMU would not have got the death penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    FWIW, the NCAA said if they had to do it all over again SMU would not have got the death penalty.
    I did not know that.

To those who think PSU should have, it's a fair point that child abuse is totally different than paying players.

This case has been litigated and decided. I'm sure there are those who disagreed but it's only the NCAA that counts

Sea Ray, you're completely missing the point of what I'm saying.

I know good and well that no more punishments or sanctions will come from this. PSU got off with a slap on the wrist (and then got their wins re-instated, what a joke) and that's that.

But none of those things mean that I have to shrug and forget about it, or somehow accept what happened. Especially considering the recent statement they made that shows they clearly value their precious football program more than knowing the truth. See that's the thing about public opinion, just because the NCAA or a judge decided their legal and league sanctions, that doesn't mean I have to be okay with it and move forward like nothing ever happened.

In my mind, Penn St. should never, ever be allowed to forget this. They covered up the rape of CHILDREN for decades all to protect the cash cow of their football program and the legacy of their coach. They should have to wear this Scarlet Letter for the rest of their existence on this earth, and I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way. And since the NCAA decided it's not a big deal (again, I KNOW no more punishments are coming), I hope everyone who doesn't have ties to Happy Valley reminds them of it every chance they get - because THEY earned the shame.

15. Likes:

RFS62 (06-04-2016)

Sea Ray, you're completely missing the point of what I'm saying.

I know good and well that no more punishments or sanctions will come from this. PSU got off with a slap on the wrist (and then got their wins re-instated, what a joke) and that's that.

But none of those things mean that I have to shrug and forget about it, or somehow accept what happened. Especially considering the recent statement they made that shows they clearly value their precious football program more than knowing the truth. See that's the thing about public opinion, just because the NCAA or a judge decided their legal and league sanctions, that doesn't mean I have to be okay with it and move forward like nothing ever happened.

In my mind, Penn St. should never, ever be allowed to forget this. They covered up the rape of CHILDREN for decades all to protect the cash cow of their football program and the legacy of their coach. They should have to wear this Scarlet Letter for the rest of their existence on this earth, and I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way. And since the NCAA decided it's not a big deal (again, I KNOW no more punishments are coming), I hope everyone who doesn't have ties to Happy Valley reminds them of it every chance they get - because THEY earned the shame.
    You're welcome to that opinion. Others, myself included, don't think that anything short of a death penalty constitutes a slap on the wrist.

Why should future generations have to wear a Scarlet A for things that happened long before they ever came to Penn State? I know kids who go to Penn State now and I don't think child abuse when I see them and hear about how much they're enjoying college. I understand you're mad but you come across as being so frustrated that you're willing to let this become a grudge and foster negative feelings for the rest of your life. I for one don't feel it's worth so much of my negative energy. I want those involved to be punished but I feel just as strongly that I don't want the innocents to be punished.

I really wish there was a way to punish the university severely and not the kids who go there, the alumni, and all the players, past and present, none of whom had anything to do with it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

You're welcome to that opinion. Others, myself included, don't think that anything short of a death penalty constitutes a slap on the wrist.

Why should future generations have to wear a Scarlet A for things that happened long before they ever came to Penn State? I know kids who go to Penn State now and I don't think child abuse when I see them and hear about how much they're enjoying college. I understand you're mad but you come across as being so frustrated that you're willing to let this become a grudge and foster negative feelings for the rest of your life. I for one don't feel it's worth so much of my negative energy. I want those involved to be punished but I feel just as strongly that I don't want the innocents to be punished.
    Ah, the rub.

Here's why: as a deterrent to anyone who is part of anorganization that does these things.

College football programs are not a right. We don't let them do whatever they wish because future generations of kids will want to play there.

In fact, if we take the football program away, it won't hurt any future generations because they will have never held dreams of playing football for Penn State because they will never known they had one.

My gosh, what do those poor kids who attend the 97 Division I schools without a football program do?

Nobody is trying to hold a grudge, Sea Ray. People are wanting appropriate punishment for the crime.

If your feeling is that an NCAA football program that has staff that uses the honor and privilege and financial windfall that that program provides to have children around for sex within the facilities and not get the death penalty, we have a different sense of justice.

What your argument and the NCAA actions in this case tells everyone is that yes, you can molest kids at these facilities. You can use the celebrity the program provides for you, you can use our showers, to have anal sex with children all because future generations want to play football for Penn State.

I'm not sure what the line is for the death penalty, I'm pretty sure molesting kids crosses it.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 05-17-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I really wish there was a way to punish the university severely and not the kids who go there, the alumni, and all the players, past and present, none of whom had anything to do with it.
    That's the problem with whatever rules are broken. Like this whole North Carolina thing. All the players who took these courses are long gone. It looks like they will escape punishment but if they are punished, the current players had nothing to do with it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Maybe make them run the program at a loss?

Force them to donate any profits to children's programs?

Why are we trying to find a way for things to continue?

It's just soooo important to keep playing football.

I'd tell you it's the concern for the least important things that let's this stuff happen.

Turn Off Ads?