Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

or keep the statue with a minor modification:

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Really shocked that the Govenor of Pennsylvania hasn't been dragged into this as of yet. Corbett was Attorney General when the Sandusky report was passed along to his desk. He was so concerned that he assigned one (yes one sole state trooper) to investigate these claims. Rumor has it he wanted to run for govenor and did not want to upset alumni of Penn State by blowing this thing wide open.

This thing goes deep real deep.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Good article about someone who was affected by Paterno's power at Penn State.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/tri...html?hpt=hp_c1
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Paterno's halo has been painted over by the artist who painted the mural. The artist added - for all you fans of irony - a blue ribbon on Paterno's lapel symbolizing support for child abuse victims.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/07/...rnos-halo.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

It was just a matter of time.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...three_men.html

Sources close to the Jerry Sandusky case say that three men have come forward and told police that they were abused in the 1970s or 1980s by the convicted pedophile.

They are the first men to allege abuse before the 1990s, and if found to be credible, would directly attack the 68-year-old's defense argument that a person doesn't become pedophile in his or her 50s.

In the early 1970s, when one of the men says he was abused, Jerry Sandusky would have been in his late 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Good article about someone who was affected by Paterno's power at Penn State.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/tri...html?hpt=hp_c1
    Wow.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I felt all along that he has probably been doing this he was a young man. Like you said it was only a matter of time before some victims came forward.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Wow.
    Indeed.

I read that story and it just made me sick. What a pathetic, small little man he was. He had the whole country fooled for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Indeed.

I read that story and it just made me sick. What a pathetic, small little man he was. He had the whole country fooled for a long time.
    Yep, that's what I was so taken by, just how extreme the gap was between image and reality.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

When it comes to sports and media I kind of tend to assume the media is full of BS 99% of the time. It's a bunch of manufactured narratives and a bunch of "reporters" who buy in to everything so readily. That's why learning all of this about Paterno just isn't surprising me that much.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

http://deadspin.com/5926561/i-hope-t...ium=socialflow

Shut that place down. Immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Who cares what a bunch of unnamed students think? Let's take this discussion to another level and let's talk about someone all of us are very familiar with: Bill James

Bill is catching a lot of flack for his recent comments. He's one of the few who's still willing to step up for Joe Pa. Here's what he said:

--The Freeh reports states quite explicitly and at least six times (a) that the 1998 incident did NOT involve any criminal conduct -- on the part of Sandusky or anyone else -- and (b) that Paterno had forced the resignation of Sandusky before the 1998 incident occurred.

In any case, what EXACTLY is it that Paterno should have done? Fire him again? It is preposterous to argue, in my view, that PATERNO should have taken action after all of the people who were legally charged to take action had thoroughly examined the case and decided that no action was appropriate.

The 1998 incident was perceived AT THE TIME to involve no criminal conduct. The May 3, 1998 incident was very, very, very thoroughly investigated by at least four different agencies (University police, state police, and two different child welfare agencies), all four of which issued written reports stating that no criminal event had occurred. In retrospect, since the actions were part of a pattern of criminal conduct, it may be said that they were criminal conduct in and of themselves, but no one saw that at the time.

--It's very hard, in fact I think it's impossible, to explain why Paterno should have been the person to go to the police. Paterno didn't see anything. Paterno was not the reporting authority. Sandusky did not work for Paterno. Paterno had no supervised authority over Sandusky. It's extremely difficult to explain why it was Paterno's responsibility to go to the police. He knew less about it than everybody else there.

--False. Absolutely false. That's the key thing. You're saying everything revolves around him. It's total nonsense. He had very few allies. He was isolated, and he was not nearly as powerful as people imagine him to have been. And he had poor sources.

http://deadspin.com/5926485/red-sox-...ng-joe-paterno

What does Redszone make of all of that?

Here's what Rob Neyer has to say about it:

There's plenty of blame to go around. Paterno probably deserves some of it. If you take a poll of the public -- or just of Our Nation's Radio Hosts -- you'll probably find that Paterno deserves at least 50 percent of the blame that doesn't go directly to Jerry Sandusky.

I think it's lower than 50 percent. Maybe it's 5 percent. Maybe it's 45 percent. Either way, the attempts to turn Joe Paterno into some sort of uncaring monster seem to me unfair and misguided.

And the same goes for Bill James. He probably interprets some elements of the Freeh Report differently than you might. Instead of calling for his firing, if not his head, maybe we should applaud Bill for having the courage to ask questions that nobody else seems interested in asking.

Bill might be wrong about everything. But without the questions, how would we know who's right?
    http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/7/16/31...jerry-sandusky

There is a lot in there, but I will attempt to summarize my thoughts.

James seemed very focused on the 1998 incident. I don't blame Paterno for his actions there because it was investigated. The issue becomes that he did know about it, lied about that fact to a grand jury, and because of that knowledge should have done more with the information he recieved from McQuery. There is no excuse for Jerry Sandusky being allowed on campus, having an office and a suite to every home football game for the next 11 years. None.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    There is a lot in there, but I will attempt to summarize my thoughts.

James seemed very focused on the 1998 incident. I don't blame Paterno for his actions there because it was investigated. The issue becomes that he did know about it, lied about that fact to a grand jury, and because of that knowledge should have done more with the information he recieved from McQuery. There is no excuse for Jerry Sandusky being allowed on campus, having an office and a suite to every home football game for the next 11 years. None.
    Very well put...

This whole "percentage of blame" construct is utterly ridiculous and may be the dumbest thing being published about this whole mess. It's not surprising it's coming from the sports media as they're incapable of not viewing everything through the black and white, one or other framework.

It's not like there's some fixed quantity of blame that has to be divided up among those who share responsibility in this. Some of these things that are written are treating this as such, as if 1% less blame on Paterno means 1% more on the administrators. They need to stop thinking about it in these terms, and I'm disappointed to see people like Bill James and Neyer view it that way.

Turn Off Ads?