Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Good article about someone who was affected by Paterno's power at Penn State.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/tri...html?hpt=hp_c1
    Last December I had Christmas Eve dinner in Florida with my father, who is a retired college professor, his wife, and some of their old colleagues. One of these was a man whose late wife had for years been a liaison to the Penn State athletic department--I'm sorry, but I don't remember her exact job title. He and his wife had been good friends with Tim Curley, who gave them a rocking chair as a retirement gift that he keeps in his home.

He was extremely upset by this whole thing, but he wasn't surprised by it. I hadn't posted on this thread, but when I read this article, it reminded me of what he said: his wife's biggest problem in her job had been dealing with Joe Paterno and the football program. He said that Paterno believed that he was the sole authority concerning what happened in the program, and that their problems should remain in house. I'm sorry if I'm mischaracterizing what he said, but this is what I got from his rather passionate speech.

He also told us that everyone at Penn State knew that there was some major problem that had led to Sandusky's forced retirement, but no one knew what the nature of it was. While he had been friends with Curley, he didn't apologize for him, but instead painted a picture of a program with no outside accountability.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As to Bill James' insistence on Paterno's innocence, does anyone remember The Trial of Pete Rose on ESPN, where James testified that he was convinced that Rose didn't bet on baseball?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I used to have a lot of respect for Bill James.

There was a plane flying one of those message flags today at Happy Valley saying, "Take the statue down or we'll take it down for you."

Nice to see someone with a hint of a moral compass.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Who cares what a bunch of unnamed students think?
    It isn't just students, it also alumni. All of it is because of 'The Penn State Way'. That football is bigger than anything else. That a whole lot of good makes it ok to still celebrate someone who protected a child rapist.

And frankly, I still don't care. I want and think the entire institution should be closed down with or without that article.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It isn't just students, it also alumni. All of it is because of 'The Penn State Way'. That football is bigger than anything else. That a whole lot of good makes it ok to still celebrate someone who protected a child rapist.

And frankly, I still don't care. I want and think the entire institution should be closed down with or without that article.
    Yes close down an entire institution for the sins of Paterno and the rest of his henchman. Penn State is a lot more than just a football program and it is not fair to academia to shut down an entire institution based on individuals within the athletic dept running rampant without proper controls.

You might as well shut down the entire state because the current govenor also knew about Sandusky and refused to dedicate enough resources to investigate.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I went to school at OSU in which football is king. I never understood it until I arrived there and still really can't compare it to anything I have seen since. For people who grew up in central or northern Ohio OSU football is like a religion. That said Ohio State University means much much much much more to the community than just a football team. On orentiation they told us that on a school day the campus of OSU is the 4th largest city in Ohio. I would be willing to be that OSU is the largest employer in Columbus (UC is in Cincinnati). The university means much more to the community than just a football program.

You don't shut down PSU for the sins of a couple of people. You don't close the doors on the local businesses who depend on PSU, you don't send all the employees of PSU to the unemployment office, you don't stop all the research, or the education of the students, all because of the sins of a couple of people. That is a knee jerk reaction that makes little sense. Jerry Sandusky was a monster, the people who covered it up just as bad, but do you close down every company that employees a sex offender? Should the Catholic Church have shut down Notre Dame, Boston College, all the local high schools and grade schools because of the scandal they had?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    On orentiation they told us that on a school day the campus of OSU is the 4th largest city in Ohio.
    So before you even took a class they were telling you fairy tales.

The 4th largest city in the state would be either Cincinnati or Toledo and they're just a tick under 300K. No way OSU swells to anywhere near that on any school day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Ohio

(Being an OSU graduate myself, I can poke fun at them for this sort of thing)

The 4th largest city in the state would be either Cincinnati or Toledo and they're just a tick under 300K. No way OSU swells to anywhere near that on any school day.

Perhaps he's referring to football Saturdays... in that case OSU's campus probably IS the 4th largest city in Ohio. I know in 2006 when UM and OSU were both undefeated there were 105,000 in the stadium and an estimated 250,000-300,000 outside the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Perhaps he's referring to football Saturdays... in that case OSU's campus probably IS the 4th largest city in Ohio. I know in 2006 when UM and OSU were both undefeated there were 105,000 in the stadium and an estimated 250,000-300,000 outside the stadium.
    Even that sounds far fetched. Where were the 250-300K outside the stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    As to Bill James' insistence on Paterno's innocence, does anyone remember The Trial of Pete Rose on ESPN, where James testified that he was convinced that Rose didn't bet on baseball?
    I was just thinking about that. He may be great at coming up with new ways to evaluate players, but he's pretty terrible when it comes to evaluating a person's character. He seems to be a romantic at heart who wants to believe in the mythos that some sports figures have built around themselves.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I am not exactly sure. It seemed to me there is a pretty good chance its 5th or 6th behind the C's, Dayton and Toledo. But on a given day there are a lot of people on that campus. Not only students but faculity and staff, as well as local business within that area.

Regardless large state universities are vital to the economies of their area. Maybe not so much as OSU because it sits in a rather large city as is, but in State College, PSU means more than most outsiders can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am not exactly sure. It seemed to me there is a pretty good chance its 5th or 6th behind the C's, Dayton and Toledo. But on a given day there are a lot of people on that campus. Not only students but faculity and staff, as well as local business within that area.

Regardless large state universities are vital to the economies of their area. Maybe not so much as OSU because it sits in a rather large city as is, but in State College, PSU means more than most outsiders can imagine.
    I can't imagine the football program is any less powerful or important at OSU than PSU. In other words if there was talk of taking down statues or handing out a death penalty, you better believe the folks in Columbus would be circling the wagons and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Yes close down an entire institution for the sins of Paterno and the rest of his henchman. Penn State is a lot more than just a football program and it is not fair to academia to shut down an entire institution based on individuals within the athletic dept running rampant without proper controls.

You might as well shut down the entire state because the current govenor also knew about Sandusky and refused to dedicate enough resources to investigate.
    Penn State is more than a football program. It is a school, who has trustees and a President who were in on this. It wasn't just the athletic department. And even still, the new board of trustees are doing the same things. Making decisions based on athletics. Get rid of them all. Close it down. Board it up.

As for the Governor, yeah, he should go too if he covered it up/failed to report it.

I can't imagine the football program is any less powerful or important at OSU than PSU. In other words if there was talk of taking down statues or handing out a death penalty, you better believe the folks in Columbus would be circling the wagons and I don't see anything wrong with that.
    I think that the difference is that OSU has never had a coach who was able to take over such a dominant hold of the campus culture that they could hold sway over the academic administration. Being a great coach couldn't save Woody Hayes when he punched that Clemson kid and Tressel couldn't survive the Tattoo scandal. I have a feeling that, if a football coach tried to keep allegations of child abuse by one of his coaches quiet at OSU, the higher ups would have told him to report it or be fired. I think it would be the same way at Michigan or Wisconsin or any of the other Big Ten schools.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?