Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I went to school at OSU in which football is king. I never understood it until I arrived there and still really can't compare it to anything I have seen since. For people who grew up in central or northern Ohio OSU football is like a religion. That said Ohio State University means much much much much more to the community than just a football team. On orentiation they told us that on a school day the campus of OSU is the 4th largest city in Ohio. I would be willing to be that OSU is the largest employer in Columbus (UC is in Cincinnati). The university means much more to the community than just a football program.

You don't shut down PSU for the sins of a couple of people. You don't close the doors on the local businesses who depend on PSU, you don't send all the employees of PSU to the unemployment office, you don't stop all the research, or the education of the students, all because of the sins of a couple of people. That is a knee jerk reaction that makes little sense. Jerry Sandusky was a monster, the people who covered it up just as bad, but do you close down every company that employees a sex offender? Should the Catholic Church have shut down Notre Dame, Boston College, all the local high schools and grade schools because of the scandal they had?

That's the exact kind of mindset that led to the whole debacle. "We are too big to do anything about it". Sorry, if I were president of the ncaa, the program would cease to exist. That's the least I can do for an administrative wide coverup of boys being raped and sexually abused, with the football program acting as a gateway for the whole thing. At thus point I could care less about the guy wellingice water on the corner, or a nearby business.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Penn State / Jerry Sandusky Pt. II

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Penn State is more than a football program. It is a school, who has trustees and a President who were in on this. It wasn't just the athletic department. And even still, the new board of trustees are doing the same things. Making decisions based on athletics. Get rid of them all. Close it down. Board it up.

As for the Governor, yeah, he should go too if he covered it up/failed to report it.
    Unless I am missing something the BOT was not part of the cover up for Sandusky. The President, Paterno, VP, and athletic director all were in on a cover up according to the report. All of those folks have been cut loose by the university. I think it is over the top to shut down an entire school based on the mistakes of a handful. AS I have said earlier Penn State is a lot more than a football program and the good professors and students that attend the university should not have to suffer for there actions. Shut down football for a yr, or a lifetime if you must but don't punish the kids that are there to learn and trying to better themselves.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

The school won't have to be shut down, it's going to die on it's own.

As has been mentioned a few times in this thread, due to failing to report all of this suspected abuse, they are staring down the barrel of becoming inelgible to receive federal aid and student loans.

That alone is going to make the place a Ghost Town, if it doesn't kill it completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Can you read? He was saying that last fall, when it broke, that he needed to know those facts and that they weren't there at the time.
    For me you have to be incredibly naive or stupid to think that the most powerful man on campus had no idea what was going on or didn't make some directive on how to handle it.

What Sea Ray was proposing was that these people would hide this from him and he had no clue. That isn't even in the realm of believability. And so, yeah, we knew this last fall.

It wasn't like I was going out on a limb with this thinking.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

As has been mentioned a few times in this thread, due to failing to report all of this suspected abuse, they are staring down the barrel of becoming inelgible to receive federal aid and student loans.

That alone is going to make the place a Ghost Town, if it doesn't kill it completely.
    I truly hope you are right.

My gut tells me they'll find a way around it. Nothing ever happens to these schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

My gut tells me they'll find a way around it. Nothing ever happens to these schools.
    So you think that 99.9999% of that community should be shut down because of the transgressions of 3-4 people?

For me you have to be incredibly naive or stupid to think that the most powerful man on campus had no idea what was going on or didn't make some directive on how to handle it.

What Sea Ray was proposing was that these people would hide this from him and he had no clue. That isn't even in the realm of believability. And so, yeah, we knew this last fall.

It wasn't like I was going out on a limb with this thinking.
    Or a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    So you think that 99.9999% of that community should be shut down because of the transgressions of 3-4 people?
    That's Capitalism. Like it or not, it's the way our economy works.

I'm not going to go easy on Penn State to avoid feeling bad about the Pennsylvania job market. Tell 'em if they wanna see a truly bad job market to come to the Dayton area.

True, they usually do.

Hopefully on something so larg-scale is this there will be enough people watching that they're held accountable. It might be painful to watch but Penn State needs to be used to set an example for everyone else. If you do what they did, you're done.

I'm not going to go easy on Penn State to avoid feeling bad about the Pennsylvania job market. Tell 'em if they wanna see a truly bad job market to come to the Dayton area.
    State owned Universities and the NCAA are a lot of things but capitalism isn't one of them

Would be the first time ever that Federal Aid was pulled for violations of the Cleary Act. Don't see it happening. More realistic is major fines as it is 27,500 per violation, which would span a number of since the school never implemented it. Penn State has 1.8 billion endowment with fines and civil suits is is speculated the university would take a hefty hit but not enough to board the campus up.

It's an opinion piece but it really does a good job formulating questions for the Govenor of PA who was the AG during the Sandusky investigation. The Gov refuses to answer any questions related to his involvement.

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...e=home_oneline

State universities are not capitalism.

I guess I view things differently than you do. I want the guilty parties punished. I don't find any joy in seeing innocent people hurt becasue of the transgressions of others. What Sandusky did has zero to do with the math and sciences dean. The coverup has nothing to do with the PSU hospital. Should we say hell with all the people that have been helped by that hospital because there was a cover up involving 4 (?) people?

What about all the good the research department is doing? Should we scrap all that because Sandusky was a monster? Should we scrap all the scientists, engineers, law students, nurses, teachers, physicists, etc. PSU truns into the workforce each and every year because of Sandusky and a handful of others?

Look I want to see the guilty parties punished. But have see no joy in wanting to see PSU destroyed for something that everyone sans 4 people weren't complicit in.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Would be the first time ever that Federal Aid was pulled for violations of the Cleary Act. Don't see it happening. More realistic is major fines as it is 27,500 per violation, which would span a number of since the school never implemented it. Penn State has 1.8 billion endowment with fines and civil suits is is speculated the university would take a hefty hit but not enough to board the campus up.
    Then why does the Cleary Act even exist?

Then why does the Cleary Act even exist?
    I don't think it's to shut down universities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?