Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theo Bowe appreciation thread

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Theo Bowe appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    How is what he is doing in terms of babip different than what Phipps did last year? Is there any reason to move the prospect meter on him or is he just a nice story?

And you have flat disregarded or explained away or otherwise dismissed the Cingrani results. For months. But I am glad someone else's results are of interest, I guess, from you.
    There isn't much difference in terms of what Phipps did last year when it comes to the 'explosion', at least when it comes to his time in Bakersfield. For the entire season, he has a .389 BABIP. Which is a lot different than what Phipps did over the full season (.452).

I would say the prospect meter on him is up from where it was coming into the season because he went up a level and has maintained the same peripherals despite better pitching. But it is a nice story, though he hasn't really vaulted into a big prospect status.

With Cingrani, I actually have explained why his stats are outstanding. You either didn't read it or didn't buy my idea. But I will tell you again in case you missed it. He has the best fastball from a Reds minor leaguer I have seen since I started doing this. It is better than the one Chapman had in the minors (at least as a starter). While it isn't overly fast, it is 90-92 with outstanding late sink to it (honestly resembles a change up with tumble on it) that he has pinpoint control of. He can throw a plus pitch exactly where he wants it, 90% of the time. That is an incredible weapon, especially against minor leaguers. However, I have now seen him throw over 30 innings this season and not in one outing have I seen him throw his offspeed stuff to the point where even 50% of it was considered a good pitch. But, at this level, he can get away with it because his #1 is simply that good.

Buy it or not, I don't really care. But that is where I sit with regards to how Cingrani has put up incredible stats, but still isn't an elite starting pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So . . . how about that Bowe guy?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    So . . . how about that Bowe guy?
    Very, very fast. Despite all of that speed, he does get caught an awful lot. Like Hamilton last year, if Bowe could improve his contact rate a little bit more, he might be able to push his status up some more (not saying he is going to be Hamilton like, Hamilton is a better athlete with better overall tools).

Okay guys, let's have everyone take a step back and cool down a bit.

Looks like things are getting a bit personal in this thread and we certainly don't want that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Okay guys, let's have everyone take a step back and cool down a bit.

Looks like things are getting a bit personal in this thread and we certainly don't want that.
    ...And in other threads, as well.

Debating or asking questions about opinions that people have about certain players is one thing, deliberately redirecting threads to become cross-examinations of posters is another. This has happened in threads about Billy Hamilton, Tony Cingriani, and now Theo Bowe (as well as on the ORG about Stubbs- again).

As The Operator has said, leave the personal stuff at the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

The reason he was not being appreciated before this year is: 1) low round pick (21), 2) under sized (5' 9''), 3) outfielder w/o power (2 HR in 602 AB), and 4) four lackluster seasons (.256 BA).

It is nice that he is turning it around. Obviously, the Reds see potential there that many of us have overlooked. I suspect that he is being pushed to steal bases at a higher clip because that is the area of his perceived value.

As steroids have been withdrawn from the game, there has been a commensurate increase in emphasis on pitching, defense, and speed. The more balls that remain in the park, the more important player speed becomes. It plays well on both offense and defense. Ten years ago, I doubt that organizations would have had the patience to continue developing an outfielder with so little pop in his bat. With recent shifts in the game, cultivating some slap hitters with plus plus speed and good OBP has become a more attractive proposition.

As an aside, the Reds reported interest in Juan Pierre follows this same line of thought, a renewed understanding of the need to manufacture runs to beat good pitchers in close games. Along those lines, Billy Hamilton may just turn out to be a human run factory. The things to watch with Bowe are improvement in SB success rate, and further improvement in BB/K ratio and OBP.

Turn Off Ads?