Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Soda vs. pop

Re: Soda vs. pop

I grew up in Massachusetts and in the 1950s and early 1960s the term we used was tonic. I think it is fading from use now, but I have relatives in Maine who still use the term.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?
    My wife just got back today from a tdy at Beale AFB and she said she went to a restaurant and asked what kind of pop they had and he handed her the beer menu. She said sorry what kind of soda. Lol

I had a roommate in college who called any type of cola "erl". He also called beer "erl". He was from the mountains. If he wanted a ride to the store to get "erl," he'd ask you to "curry" him to the store.

He was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I had a roommate in college who called any type of cola "erl". He also called beer "erl". He was from the mountains. If he wanted a ride to the store to get "erl," he'd ask you to "curry" him to the store.

He was weird.
    Lol wow

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff View Post
    I grew up outside of Dayton and said pop until I moved to Chicago. There I only ordered beer, liquor, or wine and I didn't start referring to carbonated beverages again until I moved to DC, where I now say soda.

What I really want to know is what is with all the "other"? Is that where people are just ultra specific and never generically refer to anything? Or do they just say, "I'll have an other, please"?
    Those are the people who say "Ale 8" ...

Always pop growing up. In Summit Co., Oh., our linguistic peculiarity is referring to the strip of grass between the street and the sidewalk as the "devil strip." Supposedly it's unique to our area.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

In se Ky we always called it pop. I always assumed that was a southern thing. While in the Navy in Norfolk/ va beach it was referred to as soda but that came from other military people who were from everywhere. Now I again refer to it as pop though I would guess around here Mt. Dew outsells any other "pop" 2/1.

They call me "chef"

I call it "slappy pappy fizz".

Turn Off Ads?